New NFL penalties for domestic violence

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does this mean that Ray Rice is all done if he does it again, or does he get a pass on the last one because he did it before the new rule.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n36831 said:
I am not sure - they literally arrest guys for anything on that if a call is made to the police. I have seen some women abuse that where I am at and the cop will arrest every time just based on her word even if she has no mark on her or anything. If it is solely based on arrest only and not anymore looking into it it may not be right in certain circumstances.
that is not even close to accurate

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Like the move but he needs to change the drug suspension policy...
I understand they have the right i just think it's stupid to suspend players for smoking pot. Josh Gordon getting suspended for a year for multiple positive tests for marijuana vs a 6 game suspension for domestic violence is not even close to being rational.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Multiple offender, which is in the CBA. It is agreed upon in the CBA, it doesn't matter what our feelings are on it.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Again I'm well aware...but this is a message board to share opinions...?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n37362 said:
that is not even close to accurate

Not sure where you live but it definately is where I am in Florida. If a woman claims you hit/pushed her etc. you are getting cuffed and arrested unless there are other witnesses to say that clearly didn't happen and even then some cops will still arrest and say the courts can sort it out. Usually if they arrest a woman for it they want to see clear evidence of it however. I think they tell the cops they are risking getting in big trouble if they don't have a clear reason not to make an arrest on these domestic calls.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Your opinions have been banned...

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n37371 said:
Not sure where you live but it definately is where I am in Florida. If a woman claims you hit/pushed her etc. you are getting cuffed and arrested unless there are other witnesses to say that clearly didn't happen and even then some cops will still arrest and say the courts can sort it out. Usually if they arrest a woman for it they want to see clear evidence of it however. I think they tell the cops they are risking getting in big trouble if they don't have a clear reason not to make an arrest on these domestic calls.
This is fairly common I think. We had police come and give us the domestic violence talk at multiple training sessions and basically this is exactly what we were told. Police are going to make the arrest and let the courts sort it out if a woman accuses the man of abuse. If a man accuses a woman of abuse, there better be near indisputable evidence or again, the guy is going to be arrested and hauled in for the courts to sort out. We were told the same thing every year by every cop that came to give the training.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n37371 said:
Having been a criminal justice major this very issue was obviously studied heavily by us and if what you say is true about where you live then you are in the vast minority (and maybe a lot has changed since i graduated in 2007...went a different path after college). Most places around this country there has to be evidence to make an arrest on a domestic violence call. If the police show up and there is no proof the most they will do is ask the man to leave the premises. Granted things may be getting stricter in some areas due to pressure from this being a big issue in the past. Police discretion in domestic violence calls was for a long time normal procedure. There are obviously some departments/cities/etc. that have mandatory arrest policies but even those might be to just get them off the premises than an actual arrest as most people would define it. IF a situation like that arises then the NFL will have to make some hard decisions if a player is "arrested" and there is no evidence that any violence took place.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n37475 said:
Having been a criminal justice major this very issue was obviously studied heavily by us and if what you say is true about where you live then you are in the vast minority (and maybe a lot has changed since i graduated in 2007...went a different path after college). Most places around this country there has to be evidence to make an arrest on a domestic violence call. If the police show up and there is no proof the most they will do is ask the man to leave the premises. Granted things may be getting stricter in some areas due to pressure from this being a big issue in the past. Police discretion in domestic violence calls was for a long time normal procedure. There are obviously some departments/cities/etc. that have mandatory arrest policies but even those might be to just get them off the premises than an actual arrest as most people would define it. IF a situation like that arises then the NFL will have to make some hard decisions if a player is "arrested" and there is no evidence that any violence took place.

That is pre-OJ stuff they are saying there. The cops basically arrest on the word of the victim only if they are female (which is enough legally to justify their arrest) unless they have other witnesses and or evidence clearly showing she is lying probably. Its messed up in a way because you have a few females that actually plays games with the system knowing that and the dang state never charges them with filing a false report to police even if they find out they lied because its a domestic violence case.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
Gator Fever;n37486 said:
That is pre-OJ stuff they are saying there. The cops basically arrest on the word of the victim only if they are female (which is enough legally to justify their arrest) unless they have other witnesses and or evidence clearly showing she is lying probably. Its messed up in a way because you have a few females that actually plays games with the system knowing that and the dang state never charges them with filing a false report to police even if they find out they lied because its a domestic violence case.

On this DUDE he's right in Florida. If they are called out and its a he said she said and she doesn't back off the accusation...HE is taking a ride. He may not get anything else but they will take him in.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One of the problems , and reasons they take them away is to err on the side of caution. Before they changed the law here in Cali to often they wouldn't make an arrest and if something happened to the women the media would go crazy and blame the cops. Out here they generally tell the man to leave and stay away and have the woman get a temp restraining order( not that they do much good) if the woman feels like they need it. And as far as not testifying if there's a mark they don't need their testimony anymore, just the photographic evidence. My best friend, a cop, has had numerous cases where they couple have reconciled but the man still goes down even when the woman testifies for the man because of the photos. The one thing I can't believe is that Goodell actual made a good decision.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
One of the problems , and reasons they take them away is to err on the side of caution. Before they changed the law here in Cali to often they wouldn't make an arrest and if something happened to the women the media would go crazy and blame the cops. Out here they generally tell the man to leave and stay away and have the woman get a temp restraining order( not that they do much good) if the woman feels like they need it. And as far as not testifying if there's a mark they don't need their testimony anymore, just the photographic evidence. My best friend, a cop, has had numerous cases where they couple have reconciled but the man still goes down even when the woman testifies for the man because of the photos. The one thing I can't believe is that Goodell actual made a good decision.
Surprised - In Florida if the woman wont testify they almost always drop the case (My guess is they ran with a few and lost due to having no witness to say the guy hit the woman no matter if she had a mark or not) but they have went forward with a few that clearly had the guy doing it on video.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator2002;n37516 said:
On this DUDE he's right in Florida. If they are called out and its a he said she said and she doesn't back off the accusation...HE is taking a ride. He may not get anything else but they will take him in.
To my knowledge there are 20 states and DC that are currently using a mandatory arrest policy and Florida is not one of them.

Florida State Statute 741.29 Domestic violence; investigation of incidents; notice to victims of legal rights and remedies; reporting.—

2) When a law enforcement officer investigates an allegation that an incident of domestic violence has occurred, the officer shall handle the incident pursuant to the arrest policy provided in s.901.15(7), and as developed in accordance with subsections (3), (4), and (5). Whether or not an arrest is made, the officer shall make a written police report that is complete and clearly indicates the alleged offense was an incident of domestic violence. Such report shall be given to the officer’s supervisor and filed with the law enforcement agency in a manner that will permit data on domestic violence cases to be compiled. Such report must include: (a) A description of physical injuries observed, if any.
(b) If a law enforcement officer decides not to make an arrest or decides to arrest two or more parties, the officer shall include in the report the grounds for not arresting anyone or for arresting two or more parties.
(c) A statement which indicates that a copy of the legal rights and remedies notice was given to the victim.

States very clearly this is up to office discretion.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
its a knee jerk reaction for given rice two games and getting hammered in the media, lifetime ban? seriously goodale? you dont give rapist and murderers lifetime bans, what a crock of s@#!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
dubster1;n37604 said:
its a knee jerk reaction for given rice two games and getting hammered in the media, lifetime ban? seriously goodale? you dont give rapist and murderers lifetime bans, what a crock of s@#!

What convicted murders and rapist are currently playing in the NFL?

dubster1

Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
TheDouglas78 said:
dubster1;n37604 said:

former raven ray lewis,, and ben rapingburger,,

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
dubster1;n37604 said:

So they were convicted of Murder and Rape? You might want to check your facts.

Lewis was convicted of obstruction of Justice and Roethlisberger was never convicted. So who is currently playing that was convicted of those crimes?

dubster1

Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
TheDouglas78 said:
dubster1;n37604 said:

go back and read my post,, didnt say anything about convictions,, i stated rapist and murderes. you added convictions. get your facts straight!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
dubster1;n37604 said:

I did get my fact straight, by the eyes of the law of this country they are not rapist and murders. And neither you or I have the evidence to show that they are. I read your post, and it says the same thing that your last post did. That you are saying things as fact, to which you have no facts to prove they are facts. When you have facts to prove otherwise or they are convicted all you said were childish ramblings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.