Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sgt. Schultz;n197429 said:
I doubt either quarterback is going to perform well enough in the Spring to make the choice clear. There won't be a Spring game, as well. Sometimes you can tell who's much better by their performance in a game. I'm in agreement that the only good thing that can come out of Spring is to not get injured, other than that, you really don't know because you're only playing against each other. It's a lot different plying when there is someone with a different helmet on that's not playing for a directional school. I know I'm not going to believe a word said about anything by the coaches about anything. It's all B.S. and they always say the same things about how great so and so looks, blah, blah, blah. You'll never hear them say, for example, that we're in deep doodoo because our receivers can't catch a cold. I think that was closer to the truth the past couple of years than the propaganda disseminated. Like Reagan said: "Trust but verify." We won't know until the season against a good team if any of the new regime's propaganda is true. I say that because I recall how excited people were after playing Eastern whatever in the opener last year. People actually thought Roper was the Messiah, he had brought offense back to Gainesville.

You have some valid points about the whole spring process. For most programs it's a chance for the coaches to build depth and start evaluating new starting positions. Most coaches won't set a rotation or depth chart from what they see in spring practice. We had the one coach stupid enough to do this in Muschamp by naming JD starter last year and having 2 incoming freshmen, one whom was going to redshirt and the other not coming until fall, so it is kind of hard to blame Roper for a lot of what went wrong last year.
I don't recall anybody, on this board at least, being overwhelmed by our offensive output against EMU.There was however hope that if we stayed healthy we might be able to score enough points to win a few close games and be competitive or win the East. Saddled by JD and Muschamp we were denied those expectations.
As far as what the coaches have to say, they have to say something and I for one think Mac has been very forthcoming about the players and what the coaches are trying to do. Much more so than the last 2 coaching staffs. That being said nobody here is taking it as gospel and we will all have to wait until fall to verify anything about what they say or do....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n197248 said:
Edit:Watching some highlights from 12 and early 13 Pease did have Driskel pass a lot out of the shotgun with an empty backfield.
I believe in 2009 and 2010 Mac started using the pistol at Bama to help McElroy take advantage of their WR's and TE's with teams having to play the run also......I hate empty backfields myself. It means either no protection from the RB and no threat of a screen to slow down blitzing LB's and safeties.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n197445 said:
I believe in 2009 and 2010 Mac started using the pistol at Bama to help McElroy take advantage of their WR's and TE's with teams having to play the run also......I hate empty backfields myself. It means either no protection from the RB and no threat of a screen to slow down blitzing LB's and safeties.

Yep Bama could keep defenses on there heals with that running threat they had those years. I remember their QBs being able to do their taxes back there on play action passes etc.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I had to look back, but Summers appears to have only been with us for last season, correct? So he didn't have much of the WM taint on him? I was curiouis as to the reasons behind him being a hold over during staff changes, and assumed it was mostly to hang onto the few OL commits we had knowing it was a weak point. He has a long history in coaching, I can't say it's great or even OK, so I don't know if there is substance in his ability to develop the line or if it really was a matter of hanign onto the recruits. I suppose this is a year for Summers to truly prove his worth with the lack of numbers.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n197445 said:
No doubt about this, A half azz scouting report would be able to defense that scheme and plan on causing some major disruption especially with a deer in the headlight QB back there that we had. Now hopefully with a better QB who is able to read defenses and blitzes he will be able to pick the hot read and hit it, causing teams to stop the all out blitzing.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n197479 said:
I had to look back, but Summers appears to have only been with us for last season, correct? So he didn't have much of the WM taint on him? I was curiouis as to the reasons behind him being a hold over during staff changes, and assumed it was mostly to hang onto the few OL commits we had knowing it was a weak point. He has a long history in coaching, I can't say it's great or even OK, so I don't know if there is substance in his ability to develop the line or if it really was a matter of hanign onto the recruits. I suppose this is a year for Summers to truly prove his worth with the lack of numbers.
I thought summers did a hell of a job turning around our o-line. Especially in pass protection.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n197479 said:
I would say he was kept for continuity of the recruits, and a major need, so that part worked out great with us getting Ivey and crew. And because there actually was progress from the prior year with the offensive line, he was definitely a coach worth keeping. Especially if there was no home run OL coach out there to hire.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n197677 said:
I thought summers did a hell of a job turning around our o-line. Especially in pass protection.

We didn't have people running through literally untouched as much as the previous years.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n197717 said:
We didn't have people running through literally untouched as much as the previous years.

The offensive line did a better job pass blocking than the previous 4 years. Strangely they had spells where they had trouble run blocking for 2 or 3 quarters at a time and then they would be good for a quarter or 2, may have been the play calling :dunno:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah it's strange when everyone in the stadium knows what the play will be and 5 OL can't block 8-9 defenders. Real strange. Its also strange that the same thing that happened about halfway thru 2012.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n197815 said:
Yeah it's strange when everyone in the stadium knows what the play will be and 5 OL can't block 8-9 defenders. Real strange. Its also strange that the same thing that happened about halfway thru 2012.

I wouldn't argue with any of that as it pertains mostly to play calling. I do wonder though if running the ball from the shotgun all the time didn't have something to do with it. I know that the RB's said last fall they liked it because they could see the play develop in front of them. I seems to me that it also gives the defense an advantage being able to see it was a handoff (no play action to speak of) so far in the backfield and abandon any coverage responsibilities with plenty of time to stop the play for no or minimal gain?

I wonder too if Pease would have had a QB competent enough to take snaps from center if our offense wouldn't have at least been functional....I don't think JD could get the timing and footwork down.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n197815 said:

When you have receivers who can't catch and a quarterback who is streaky at best. What do you assume a defensive coordinator is going to gameplan against. That is what is most embarrassing of the UGAy game plan last year. They knew what was coming and didn't defend against it. After Driskel 6th start of 2012, everyone who had film on him knew who he was. There was hope that a change in coordinator would help (Pease to Roper), but comes down to if your have a stone head at qb and a stone hands at wr.... you have limited options.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n197940 said:
When you have receivers who can't catch and a quarterback who is streaky at best. What do you assume a defensive coordinator is going to gameplan against. That is what is most embarrassing of the UGAy game plan last year. They knew what was coming and didn't defend against it. After Driskel 6th start of 2012, everyone who had film on him knew who he was. There was hope that a change in coordinator would help (Pease to Roper), but comes down to if your have a stone head at qb and a stone hands at wr.... you have limited options.

Good points but in those limited options are ones that you could use more effectively than we did. We should have beat FSU and SC. No doubt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n197940 said:
There was hope that a change in coordinator would help (Pease to Roper), but comes down to if your have a stone head at qb and a stone hands at wr.... you have limited options.
Well, perhaps all offensive recruiting shouldn't have been an afterthought.

I just hope Ugaly keeps their DC forever and ever.

Sgt. Schultz

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2015
I wonder if the headline, "new offense" is really true. I think this "new offense" is the same one that Will Muschamp said he wanted to run when he came to Florida, a pro-style power, downhill running team, that's based on the Alabama model. Just today, Kelvin Taylor tweeted (I think) that the "new offense" is a power one cut downhill running. Sounds like smash mouth football to me. Perhaps McElwain will execute the offense better, but it's not really a "new" offense," it's actually a return to the offense that Muschamp told us he wanted to run when he came to Florida. Summers also made the same pitch when he was asked by a JUCO lineman what to expect. His answer was that UF was going to place an emphasis on running the ball. It's no surprise that he wants his quarterback to be over the center. We'll see if McElwain is better at executing the offense, but it's not any different from what Muschamp wanted to run. Muschamp was saddled with poor quarterbacks, but McElwain's specialty, supposedly, is developing them. The "new" offense might be fine if UF has a decent quarterback. But I hope you understand my point, the offense isn't "new," it's deja vu all over again.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n197958 said:
Good points but in those limited options are ones that you could use more effectively than we did. We should have beat FSU and SC. No doubt.

I do not believe we had a truly great OC or even a very good one in our 4 years of Muschamp and not a very good one since Maybe Fedora. The OC's had the bucket of mismatched toys with four different offensive systems by the time Roper was running the show. But the coaching and philosophy was horribly missing from the offensive side of the ball, and that starts at the top.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Sgt. Schultz;n198121 said:
I think this "new offense" is the same one that Will Muschamp said he wanted to run when he came to Florida, a pro-style power, downhill running team, that's based on the Alabama model.... it's actually a return to the offense that Muschamp told us he wanted to run when he came to Florida...it's not any different from what Muschamp wanted to run. Muschamp was saddled with poor quarterbacks, but McElwain's specialty, supposedly, is developing them.\.

If WM wanted to run that offense, he should have recruited for it. Instead, he got the non-existent offense he recruited and non-developed. Perhaps, taking your view, the 'new' is actually recruiting and developing players to run power football. Though, I expect JMac to at least have the offense run routes and make completions, the play calling part of power football that opens up the lanes, as opposed to WM's approach of "we know we are running, they know we are running, lets go".

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sgt. Schultz;n198121 said:
I wonder if the headline, "new offense" is really true. I think this "new offense" is the same one that Will Muschamp said he wanted to run when he came to Florida, a pro-style power, downhill running team, that's based on the Alabama model. Just today, Kelvin Taylor tweeted (I think) that the "new offense" is a power one cut downhill running. Sounds like smash mouth football to me. Perhaps McElwain will execute the offense better, but it's not really a "new" offense," it's actually a return to the offense that Muschamp told us he wanted to run when he came to Florida. Summers also made the same pitch when he was asked by a JUCO lineman what to expect. His answer was that UF was going to place an emphasis on running the ball. It's no surprise that he wants his quarterback to be over the center. We'll see if McElwain is better at executing the offense, but it's not any different from what Muschamp wanted to run. Muschamp was saddled with poor quarterbacks, but McElwain's specialty, supposedly, is developing them. The "new" offense might be fine if UF has a decent quarterback. But I hope you understand my point, the offense isn't "new," it's deja vu all over again.

That scares me some because it will probably be a couple of years before we have the linemen/personnel to have a lot of success playing the type of offense Bama did when McElwain was there. I guess we have to hope the QB position under Muschamp was by far the biggest issue and not the other positions.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
TLB;n198268 said:
If WM wanted to run that offense, he should have recruited for it. Instead, he got the non-existent offense he recruited and non-developed. Perhaps, taking your view, the 'new' is actually recruiting and developing players to run power football. Though, I expect JMac to at least have the offense run routes and make completions, the play calling part of power football that opens up the lanes, as opposed to WM's approach of "we know we are running, they know we are running, lets go".
I think the "New Offense" idea really depends on how you pronounce the word "Offense".

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n198279 said:
That scares me some because it will probably be a couple of years before we have the linemen/personnel to have a lot of success playing the type of offense Bama did when McElwain was there. I guess we have to hope the QB position under Muschamp was by far the biggest issue and not the other positions.

Unfortunitely as bad as the quarterback position was, it was Offensive line... the staff neglected it, and it has shown for the past 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.