NFL Combine & Wonderlic test

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Feb 17-23 will be the NFL Combine, during that time period is when teams may request that a player take the Wonderlic test. Quarterbacks have scored some of the highest grades over the years. Tampa Bay having the #1 pick and in need of a quarterback will have an opportunity to choose Mariota or Winston. It will be interesting to see how they grade out on that test, because in interviews one is very articulate, the other appears to still be learning to speak.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n174018 said:
Feb 17-23 will be the NFL Combine, during that time period is when teams may request that a player take the Wonderlic test. Quarterbacks have scored some of the highest grades over the years. Tampa Bay having the #1 pick and in need of a quarterback will have an opportunity to choose Mariota or Winston. It will be interesting to see how they grade out on that test, because in interviews one is very articulate, the other appears to still be learning to speak.

I doubt Winston does great on it but I still have a feeling Tampa is going to take him since he is in a pro style type of offense.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Winston is the better pro style QB regardless of what he scores on the test...which i imagine will be about what you would get for only spelling your name correctly.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n174296 said:
Winston is the better pro style QB regardless of what he scores on the test...which i imagine will be about what you would get for only spelling your name correctly.

Tampa will set their franchise back even more if they draft Rapeis with their first pick.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174298 said:
Tampa will set their franchise back even more if they draft Rapeis with their first pick.
Well deserved setback of they pick that SOB.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n174302 said:
Well deserved setback of they pick that SOB.

Agreed. I think the Bucs should focus on their defense and running game. Don't worry about a QB until maybe after the 3rd round.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174304 said:
Agreed. I think the Bucs should focus on their defense and running game. Don't worry about a QB until maybe after the 3rd round.
I see you are still subscribing to the Will Muschamp school of football. Lovie was muschamp before muschamp...this should work out well for them.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174304 said:

Don't know enough about their roster to be able to speak to that, but in a QB driven league, that probably won't happen.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n174306 said:
I see you are still subscribing to the Will Muschamp school of football. Lovie was muschamp before muschamp...this should work out well for them.

They have a great WRs. They do need Olinemen, so they could address that issue.

I would say take a QB early if there was a good one out there, but there isn't.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n174307 said:
Don't know enough about their roster to be able to speak to that, but in a QB driven league, that probably won't happen.

Name a good QB in this draft then? There isn't one. Now if they want to try and get a better QB than what they have in FA, then I think that would be smarter.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
The Bucs' front office has a difficult decision to make. Winston is clearly the better pro-ready QB choice as compared to Mariotta. And they do need a quarterback. That being said, I'm sure they're concerned about handing the keys to the franchise to a guy with a history of poor decision making off the field.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174309 said:
Name a good QB in this draft then? There isn't one. Now if they want to try and get a better QB than what they have in FA, then I think that would be smarter.

I don't know of one, but it's almost like whoever has the top pick is forced into taking the best available QB if they don't have a Brady, Rodgers or the like on their roster. Then again, you never see those teams with the top pick for that very reason.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There was a poll in the St Pete Times where 75% of pollees(sp?) did NOT want that POS on the team. The Glazers would be making a huge mistake. Tix sales are way down.

Derrick Brooks says the kid will need a "plan of maturity" if picked. I have no idea what the hell that means. I've never even heard of such a thing.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
LOL, apparently, Derrick Brooks received one and thought it could apply to another FSU grad.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174309 said:
Winston has the talent to be a good QB and a frachise QB but his off field problems are the issue. i don't see Marriota as a franchise QB so either Winston or OL would be the best bet...but at some point they have to draft a QB in the future. Rarely do you get this #1 spot.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Winston is way over-rated. Great size, good arm, poor on field decision making, train wreck off the field. He's Cam minus the scrambling ability.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n175051 said:
Winston is way over-rated. Great size, good arm, poor on field decision making, train wreck off the field. He's Cam minus the scrambling ability.

Winston is the top prospect in one of the worst qb drafts in the last couple of decades. He has physical tools, but so did Driskel. He can't read defenses and haven't shown the ability to throw into an NFL window. He sounds like a #1 pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Hes abysmal when playing against decent teams and average to good defenses. Basically, unless your annual schedule is comprised of a bunch of cupcakes followed by a single game title scenario, he's going to be an epic fail for you. I'll enjoy watching him get torched by teams in the worst division in pro ball, b/c even in the worst division, its still NFL level teams.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
th

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All you lizards are pow wowing about draft pick positions, Wonderlic test scores and franchise quarterbacks. Do any of you realize how hard it is to find and develop a top tier NFL quarterback? Do you really think Mariotti and Winston are in the neighborhood of Andrew Luck? Even someone with all the talent and potential of Luck had to be reminded by the New England Patriots how football is much more than resting on your laurels when you miraculously find a franchise quarterback. That being said I don't expect the college quarterbacks of Oregon and Florida State to ever terrorize the National Football League.

Do you even have an inkling how the Scouts, Head Coaches, General Managers and other so called football Gurus missed the boat when they low ball drafted the Super Bowl quarterbacks, Tom Brady and Russell Wilson?

No, I don't think you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.