NFL - Double Standard - Michael Sam and Tim Tebow

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I find much in this article to agree with!

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/07/23/Michael-Sam-Tim-Tebow
NBC didn’t have to explicitly tell the former Colts and Bucs coach, “Say you are sorry or we will turn you into Craig James.” But is there any doubt they would have Mark Jacksonned Tony Dungy had he not issued the obligatory “clarification”?
It’s not an apology that Dungy should have to apologize for. He explicitly stood by the main gist of his comments to the Tampa Tribune—he wouldn’t have drafted gay pass rusher Michael Sam because of the circus that follows him—but said sorry for contributing to that circus in his remarks. Fair enough.
Still, constant cowering fosters a chilling effect. Enthusiasts of Michael Sam haven’t won an argument here. They’ve prevented one. The attitudinal pressure to conform all outlooks to view public declarations of sexuality as cause for celebration weighs so heavily that even a statement as common as a negative evaluation of a gridiron prospect, and emanating from as revered a figure as Tony Dungy, somehow screams evidence of raging homophobia. The socialization at work here conditions rather than provokes thought. It’s the secular equivalent of the forced conversion.
It’s hard to respect a cry for any right that comes at the expense of the right to vote (Massachusetts gay marriage), the right to free speech (Craig James), and the right to pursue a living (Brendan Eich). Similarly, taking seriously charges of bigotry from those embodying its definition—narrow-minded people reflexively intolerant towards difference—is to not take oneself seriously. One of the great magic tricks of the age involves the incessant use of “bigot” to mask one’s own bigotry. They demand tolerance, diversity, and civility. They demonstrate the opposite.
Coaches have dubbed players more talented than Michael Sam a distraction without it becoming so, well, distracting. At least Dungy didn’t use the worn-down word in saying that the gay pass rusher would keep football out of focus. Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll called Tim Tebow a “distraction” for the New York Jets in 2012. Then Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Mike Mularkey labeled Tebow a “distraction.” Even outgoing Jets special teams coach Mike Westoff tagged Tebow a—you guessed it—“distraction.”
Nobody called them bigots (or even unoriginal) for this opinion. Nobody demanded that their employers terminate them. Nobody attacked their dead relatives. Observers of the ultimate team sport, in which we don’t even get a clear look at the faces of the competitors during games, just concluded that standard operating procedure in the NFL involves a fixation on football. A month before an out homosexual player came along, Deadspin writer Drew Magary, who doesn’t much care for the NFL monomania with “distraction,” wrote: “I think we can all agree that football teams—as well as many football coaches, fans, and media members—do NOT care for ‘distractions.’”
Perhaps the pigskin coaching profession’s obsession with distractions has itself distracted them from more important stuff. And it’s a fair point for Sam’s supporters to invoke Dungy championing the cause of dog-murdering distraction Michael Vick. But it’s not as though the term came about as a code word to derail the NFL career of Michael Sam.
Former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe, an expert in distraction, imagines that this may be the case. “And to try and pawn it off and say, ‘Well, I think it'll be too much of a distraction,’” the litigious leg man tells Deadspin, “that really is just an underhanded way of saying, ‘I don’t want to deal with a homosexual player on my team and I’m going to do whatever possible not to have to deal with that situation.’”
Or, alternatively, it just might be Dungy’s way of saying that an undersized, weak, fast-twitch bereft, second-best defensive end on the University of Missouri really isn’t worth a Sports Illustrated cover, a reality television show, a presidential shout-out, and all the hysteria. The louder Sam’s proponents call Dungy a bigot, the more they prove his point that the marginal talent reorients focus from football to something else. It's not Sam's fault. But it's not the fault of 31 NFL GMs to have done what Dungy would have done.
Michael Sam deserves a roster shot just as Tim Tebow deserves a roster spot. Let them play. But understand that what makes them attractive to their respective fan bases makes them repulsive to the coaching fraternity. Field generals are about football. Sam wins fans because of who he sleeps with and Tebow inspires devotion because of his other Sunday activity.
Sure, Tebow played as one of the most exciting players in college football history and Sam performed at an elite level in the SEC this past season. But it’s their love interests—Jesus Christ for the former; that smiley, swimming dude last seen with cake on his face for the latter—that make football fans of those otherwise uninterested.
Meet the new distraction. Same as the old distraction—only different.
Daniel J. Flynn, the author of The War on Football: Saving America's Game (Regnery, 2013), edits Breitbart Sports.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow is being treated unfairly because he Loves Jesus Christ while Michael Sam is supported because of who he has sex with...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not a religious person, but I do think Tebow can't land a roster spot in part because of his faith. He wears it on his sleeve and is treated like a rock star because of it. Teams don't want the media scrutiny that comes with his rock star status (from a backup QB), thus no roster spot.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n18522 said:
I'm not a religious person, but I do think Tebow can't land a roster spot in part because of his faith. He wears it on his sleeve and is treated like a rock star because of it. Teams don't want the media scrutiny that comes with his rock star status (from a backup QB), thus no roster spot.

That's what the article says but it points out that Sam's is being treated differently....Thus, a Double Standard.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
deuce coupe;n18528 said:
That's what the article says but it points out that Sam's is being treated differently....Thus, a Double Standard.
Not so sure. Tebow was still a first round draft pick, while Sam slid to the bottom. Tebow had a shot, but proved not to be a starter. Teams don't want the circus from a back-up. If Sam pans out the same way, I expect him to be hunting a job, too.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the article is more about how the Liberal Media picks who it supports or Vilifies.

Tony Dungy comes to mind, again.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n18537 said:
Not so sure. Tebow was still a first round draft pick, while Sam slid to the bottom. Tebow had a shot, but proved not to be a starter. Teams don't want the circus from a back-up. If Sam pans out the same way, I expect him to be hunting a job, too.
:exactly:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
deuce coupe;18542 said:
I think the article is more about how the Liberal Media picks who it supports or Vilifies. Tony Dungy comes to mind, again.

Dungy has been the toast if the NFL for that 10 years even though he's greatly underachieved as a coach. Some of you love to blame everything everything on the left. To each their own I guess.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n18537 said:

Nope. They hate Tebow because he's religious, as if he's the only religious football player in the NFL.

Dugaboy

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand this thread. One guy professes his love of Christ and is criticized for it; the other guy professes his love of men's genitals (not his own) and is criticized for it. I fail to see any comparison...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
deuce coupe;n18528 said:
If its close making the team as a ST player the Rams will keep him for a year just to satisfy the media imo.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
deuce coupe;n18528 said:
You're probably right, but if the media frenzy ever to gets to the same level as it did for Tim, they won't keep him long if he's not a starter.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n18605 said:
Dungy has been the toast if the NFL for that 10 years even though he's greatly underachieved as a coach. Some of you love to blame everything everything on the left. To each their own I guess.

I think much of Tony Dungy's positive perception by the public is more a result of his goody two-shoes lifestyle that he has lead more than his won-loss record.
John Harbaugh on the other hand is not only a Super Bowl Winner but got to the playoffs 5 out of 7 years. He doesn't feel that Sydney Rice knocking his girlfriend unconscious and dragging her out of the elevator by her hair is any big deal. "He's a heck of a guy." Then there was Ray "I paid my lawyer a million bucks to get me out of that ****" Lewis. You would have thought he was the second coming of Christ when he retired.
But J, you have to admit, 95% of the media should have been race car drivers cause all they do is turn left.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n18740 said:
I think much of Tony Dungy's positive perception by the public is more a result of his goody two-shoes lifestyle that he has lead more than his won-loss record. John Harbaugh on the other hand is not only a Super Bowl Winner but got to the playoffs 5 out of 7 years. He doesn't feel that Sydney Rice knocking his girlfriend unconscious and dragging her out of the elevator by her hair is any big deal. "He's a heck of a guy." Then there was Ray "I paid my lawyer a million bucks to get me out of that ****" Lewis. You would have thought he was the second coming of Christ when he retired. But J, you have to admit, 95% of the media should have been race car drivers cause all they do is turn left.

Sure. It's left I guess. I consider myself sort of in the middle but tend to lean left on social issues. And tend to lean right on fiscal issues. Anytime something in the media doesn't line up with somebody's view or agenda it's bashed as being a leftist agenda. Look, I'm a big fan of Tebow but he's not getting many chances because he's been in the league for 4 years and has not progressed at all as a passer. In fact, he's regressed.

Michael Sam just won defensive POY in the SEC and almost didn't get drafted. And everybody with their agendas are acting like they're NFL scouts. Could you imagine if Fowler won it this year and led the SEC in sacks and lasted until the 7th round if he came out? You'd be flabbergasted. As far as media bashing Dungy, other than this thread I've seen nada on any media outlets. Not on CNN, ESPN, SI, etc...

Sure there are some articles out there. But to pretend like there's an active attacking of Christian athletes is a bit ludicrous.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dugaboy;n18696 said:
I don't understand this thread. One guy professes his love of Christ and is criticized for it; the other guy professes his love of men's genitals (not his own) and is criticized for it. I fail to see any comparison...

I don't think we read the same article. The point is (I think) that no one will give Tim a chance because he causes a distraction but Michael's supporters are demanding he get's doors open despite the distraction his life style creates.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
crosscreekcooter;n18740 said:
I think much of Tony Dungy's positive perception by the public is more a result of his goody two-shoes lifestyle that he has lead more than his won-loss record. John Harbaugh on the other hand is not only a Super Bowl Winner but got to the playoffs 5 out of 7 years. He doesn't feel that Sydney Rice knocking his girlfriend unconscious and dragging her out of the elevator by her hair is any big deal. "He's a heck of a guy." Then there was Ray "I paid my lawyer a million bucks to get me out of that ****" Lewis. You would have thought he was the second coming of Christ when he retired. But J, you have to admit, 95% of the media should have been race car drivers cause all they do is turn left.

Sure. It's left I guess. I consider myself sort of in the middle but tend to lean left on social issues. And tend to lean right on fiscal issues. Anytime something in the media doesn't line up with somebody's view or agenda it's bashed as being a leftist agenda. Look, I'm a big fan of Tebow but he's not getting many chances because he's been in the league for 4 years and has not progressed at all as a passer. In fact, he's regressed.

Michael Sam just won defensive POY in the SEC and almost didn't get drafted. And everybody with their agendas are acting like they're NFL scouts. Could you imagine if Fowler won it this year and led the SEC in sacks and lasted until the 7th round if he came out? You'd be flabbergasted. As far as media bashing Dungy, other than this thread I've seen nada on any media outlets. Not on CNN, ESPN, SI, etc...

Sure there are some articles out there. But to pretend like there's an active attacking of Christian athletes is a bit ludicrous.
Sure he won an award, but look at this measurables and accomplishment against good competition. He is also a tweener, to large for an LB and too small for a DE. I see him as a special teams player at best and a hanger on due to the political issues surrounding him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter said:
GatorJ;n18605 said:

I think much of Tony Dungy's positive perception by the public is more a result of his goody two-shoes lifestyle that he has lead more than his won-loss record.
John Harbaugh on the other hand is not only a Super Bowl Winner but got to the playoffs 5 out of 7 years. He doesn't feel that Sydney Rice knocking his girlfriend unconscious and dragging her out of the elevator by her hair is any big deal. "He's a heck of a guy." Then there was Ray "I paid my lawyer a million bucks to get me out of that ****" Lewis. You would have thought he was the second coming of Christ when he retired.
But J, you have to admit, 95% of the media should have been race car drivers cause all they do is turn left.
Sydney Rice is on the Ravens... I thought he just retired from the Seahawks due to concussions?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The argument comes down does Sam have the same media circus as Tebow? No.
Did a backup quarterback who has regressed as a NFL passer and does account for a decent amount of cap space worth that much media? No
Was a SEC Defense Player of the year worth a shot at a roster spot in the 7th round? Yes.
I don't know if he has the talent to make the roster or not. Personally I do not think he will make it outside of special teams. But unlike Denver and the Jets, the Rams have a stronger and more structured Head Coach and GM.
Making comparisons between the two including from Dungy's point of view is just media bs on both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator