NFL Draft

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Both Gator kickers to Oakland, if they both stick that would be really something.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Even though he hurt the Gator program I hope Calloway gets it together and makes those millions back that he missed this weekend. Hope he isnt Josh Gordon 2.0 and Mayfield isnt Johnny Football 2.0. The woeful Browns need their luck to change.

“You know you have certain resources in place that can help young men develop." Browns GM John Dorsey re: drafting Antonio Callaway

There is a reason the Browns remain mired in awfulness. They don’t have “resources in place,” they have a demonstrated propensity to over-hope their picks will pan out. They drafted Kizer in the 2nd round last year, threw him to the wolves too early, then traded him. You nailed the Gordon and Manziel messes. And they go for a QB with question marks around his judgment.

Yes, maybe Mayfield and Callaway will prosper in Cleveland. I’d like to see Callaway answer this latest wake up call. But he has hit the snooze bar 4-5 times. I’m not terribly hopeful. I do agree he’s worth that risk in the 5th round. I don’t think he’s Calvin Ridley.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I’d like to see Callaway answer this latest wake up call. But he has hit the snooze bar 4-5 times.

I am agnostic about this. I have seen plenty of guys of indifferent consistent effort or discipline be completely different players once someone is paying them. There is a different mindset of being a student compared to being an employee. Maybe that will be the case for Callaway and maybe not.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
What is that supposed to prove in your mind? That UF used to have a great deal of talent?

This seems pretty straight forward to me, but here goes. Over the last 10 years when you have been complaining about talent and recruiting while sane people like me have been complaining about lousy coaching, those of us complaining about lousy coach were correct.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
This seems pretty straight forward to me, but here goes. Over the last 10 years when you have been complaining about talent and recruiting while sane people like me have been complaining about lousy coaching, those of us complaining about lousy coach were correct.
It's not that we don't have talent.. We just don't have the depth to cover injuries etc.. You add in the bad coaching, it's a disaster...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youre not fvkking sane. Hell you babble about bizarre abbreviations that no one but your strange little mind think make sense.

Also people drafted in the last ten years were signed as long as long as 14 years ago, long before our talent went into the toilet.

Yes, our offensive coaching was shyt under Chimp and all of our coaching was shyt under Butterteeth, but Butterteeth was just as incompetent at recruiting. These FAU/FIU/Houston Baptist pieces of shyt could not even play special teams on a decent team.

Its ok, literally no one pays any attention to your assinine theories and rantings.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not that we don't have talent.. We just don't have the depth to cover injuries etc.. You add in the bad coaching, it's a disaster...
No it is that we dont have talent outside of a couple of positions. There is a reason FAU has no SEC championships. We have about 1 1/2 SEC caliber offensive linemen. The rest couldnt stand on the sideline at most SEC schools.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

The general recruiting/talent issue really began to surface in the final year of WM and during JM's tenure. When your scope is 10 years, you're incorporating a ton of Meyer players and leftovers whose talent was never questioned. The next 2-3 years of the draft will not be very favorable for UF. Hopefully it will begin heading back in the right direction.

A side point on some of the complaining was ignoring the OL, beginning in Meyer's last few classes and carrting through WM's entire 4 years. That was completely validated in 2015 when we had walk-ons, couldn't hold a real Spring Game, and relied on a Fordham transfer who benched 225lbs 7 times at the combine. We also have been very unbalanced during much of that stretch, with way too many defensive players under Meyer and WM.

But again, these issues are just now beginning to surface.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Its ok, literally no one pays any attention to your assinine theories and rantings.

Ok "no one" but you "no one" LITTERALLY asked me about my thinking in this case. Many times that would indicate you Mr. "no one" were paying attention to me.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The general recruiting/talent issue really began to surface in the final year of WM and during JM's tenure. When your scope is 10 years, you're incorporating a ton of Meyer players and leftovers whose talent was never questioned. The next 2-3 years of the draft will not be very favorable for UF. Hopefully it will begin heading back in the right direction.

A side point on some of the complaining was ignoring the OL, beginning in Meyer's last few classes and carrting through WM's entire 4 years. That was completely validated in 2015 when we had walk-ons, couldn't hold a real Spring Game, and relied on a Fordham transfer who benched 225lbs 7 times at the combine. We also have been very unbalanced during much of that stretch, with way too many defensive players under Meyer and WM.

This is a great post. I think we have a handful of really good guys in the defensive backfield and at DT Who could be drafted over the next two years. I don’t think first rounders. But I guess we’ll see.

We may eventually have a first rounder at WR out of Our current batch of WR. I have no idea because we don’t have a QB who can get them the ball.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Do we have a player on this year's team that can continue the 6-year streak of 1st round picks?

Jefferson? Cleveland? Andrew Mike? I think if Jefferson becomes eligible he'll be the best bet.

Gator's longest streak is 9; would be cool to keep it going.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I have no idea because we don’t have a QB who can get them the ball.

This is a really important point as it underlines that the NFL draft compared to drafts in other sports is more driven by the record of the team a player was on. In many sports drafting is about the player not the team they played for. In football that seems less the case to me. So it is hardly surprising an offense in the 100s year after year after year has few players drafted.

Heck given how record sensitive the NFL draft seems to be to how good your team is is one more reason to be surprised by that fact from the _Sun_ article. Despite bad coaching UF has had so much talent that many a surprisingly high number of UF players have been early round picks.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is a really important point as it underlines that the NFL draft compared to drafts in other sports is more driven by the record of the team a player was on. In many sports drafting is about the player not the team they played for. In football that seems less the case to me. So it is hardly surprising an offense in the 100s year after year after year has few players drafted.

Heck given how record sensitive the NFL draft seems to be to how good your team is is one more reason to be surprised by that fact from the _Sun_ article. Despite bad coaching UF has had so much talent that many a surprisingly high number of UF players have been early round picks.

I don’t think so much about record. But more about production. Receiver is the one position that requires somebody else to get them the ball.

Running back does require assistance from The OL, But you can really excel at The combine. QB, LB, and D are routinely picked up from smaller schools in the draft. Mainly because the film and combine.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
No it is that we dont have talent outside of a couple of positions. There is a reason FAU has no SEC championships. We have about 1 1/2 SEC caliber offensive linemen. The rest couldnt stand on the sideline at most SEC schools.
The reason FAU doesn’t have a SEC championship is because it’s not in the SEC. ;)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Drop the mic.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Drop the mic.

Sure, sure it is always the future that your perceived issue will really show up. Right. Drop that mike after all the audience is not going to applaud, so you have to pump up yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.