Nice job Nord

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
During the Meyer years, we had the best special teams in the nation because we had best special teams coach in the nation - Meyer himself. I remember my stepson (a Barn fan) actually stopping whatever he was doing to watch our punt rush - it was that amazing.

It's been a meteoric crash from the top of the mountain with no end in sight.

One of the things Meyer did was to prioritize special teams with the players. He made it a honor to play on special teams and you weren't going to start if you didn't play. He had his top athletes playing on special teams and that was one of the things that made them better. I truly believe special teams can be a difference maker and Mac doesn't seem focused on it.

We have lost 2 games in a row partially due to special teams. Muschamp was horrible with this also (remember all the blocked punts against USCe his last year)!

So frustrating.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
One of the things Meyer did was to prioritize special teams with the players. He made it a honor to play on special teams and you weren't going to start if you didn't play. He had his top athletes playing on special teams and that was one of the things that made them better. I truly believe special teams can be a difference maker and Mac doesn't seem focused on it.

We have lost 2 games in a row partially due to special teams. Muschamp was horrible with this also (remember all the blocked punts against USCe his last year)!

So frustrating.

It's inexcusable. It's 1/3rd of the game!! He retained a coach who is a failure coaching TE's, coaching ST's, and recruiting. I don't get it.

It's another factor that those who love to cling to the head coach (pumpers) fail to take into consideration.

The ST's are so bad it's literally mind boggling how it can be this bad. I can see a screw up here and there, but it's EVERY SINGLE WEEK! Either poor decisions to return KO's to the 16 yard line (or less) vs. taking a knee and getting it at the 25; it's a missed extra point (due to poor execution); it's giving up big PR yards; it's blocked punts; KO's out of bounds....it goes on and on. There is no excuse for this and the head coach retained, gave a raise, and contract extension to the guy responsible for it!!!!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

So frustrating.

Can't agree more. I've never understood not having your best players on the field at all times. Why concede that your special teams won't be quite as good as they could be? It makes no sense. It's a huge part of the game and can turn momentum on a dime.

Not trying to use every play as an opportunity to win is unfathomable. It's like Mac is trying to give everyone a chance to get on the field without consideration for actually trying to win the game. Sure you try to give breathers, but that has nothing to do with special teams. And don't try giving me the possible injury excuse which I've heard before because it makes no logical sense. Everytime you're on the field in any capacity you can get injured. As a wise man once said, "You play to win the game!".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.