No more Verne?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I like Double Gator Dad's take on this in his post above. I don't look to Verne as an analyst. It is good to have a balance between one announcer in the booth who is an analyst and one announcer who is more of a play-by-play guy. I love Verne for the tone of his voice, for his love for the game, for his interjections, "WOW". A football game is more than just analysis. You can analyze a game to death. A football game is also about excitement, color, momentum. A dull analyst can take all that away.

A football game is poetry in action. A critic can pick a poem apart. A lover of poetry does not try to analyze a poem but just experiences it.

Wait, so you're trying to tell us to simply ENJOY the game??? That's crazy talk.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like Double Gator Dad's take on this in his post above. I don't look to Verne as an analyst. It is good to have a balance between one announcer in the booth who is an analyst and one announcer who is more of a play-by-play guy. I love Verne for the tone of his voice, for his love for the game, for his interjections, "WOW". A football game is more than just analysis. You can analyze a game to death. A football game is also about excitement, color, momentum. A dull analyst can take all that away.

A football game is poetry in action. A critic can pick a poem apart. A lover of poetry does not try to analyze a poem but just experiences it.
I certainly agree with you Joe and I'd ad that the antagonism and/or ineptitude that these guys bring are part of the appeal for the fan relegated to a tv broadcast. Makes it easier for us to have someone to argue with when they present opposing viewpoints, incorrect information, or any comment perceived as anti-whoever we are rooting for. Verne always struck me as both bumbling and exciting during his broadcasts and I agree that he had the voice and a few good sound bites. Of course, I had to divorce myself from the fact that he always reminded me of an uncle that would show up at family gatherings slightly tipsy and then make his way to the car with a chaser periodically and wind up sh!tty and fighting with my aunt before finally departing. He'd also hug all the females a little too long and break wind at some point during the meal. But we all loved the show and that's probably similar to what kept Verne in the booth as long as he was.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well ... this is a good time to remember how excellent Tebow has been predicting and analyzing.
Now Verne we must acquiesce started "old school" before announcers were prior jocks and before
game-commenting became "scientific" on football analysis. Verne is the old frat-party mouthpiece.
He deserves some forgiveness for qualifying for that "Antique Road Show".

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like Verne and Gary. You guys have some sandy vajayjays.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Wait, so you're trying to tell us to simply ENJOY the game??? That's crazy talk.

Enjoy the game wth Gatorchatter if the Gators are winning. If the Gators lose come to Gatorchatter, analyze the snot out of the game, and beat the hell out of Muschamp.

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I like Verne, like an old drunk uncle you'd have a beer or two with. However, this should be celebrated as his final year, and his final game should be UF winning the SECC game in Atlanta.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Beth Mowins called our game against Vandy last year. I'd take drunk, mouth-breathing Verne and inappropriately creepy Brent over that any day.

images

Worst ever. In addition to sucking in terms of content, she has this weird nasally, upstate NY thing going on. Listen to her A's in Swamp and yards. Turrible. Just turrible.

If you have the stomach for it, here's a reminder (full disclosure, it painful to watch and even more painful to hear):

Alex.

I saw her go in the men's room.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Probably time for Verne to go. As bad as he was as times there are a lot more that are worse. I don't care how much Beth Mowins knows, she flat out stinks.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always liked Lundquist, gaffes and all, which in my mind only served to make him more human and lovable. You want some passion from the play by play guy, and he provided it. The opposite would be someone like Summerall, whose delivery was dry, monotone and lifeless.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I always liked Lundquist, gaffes and all, which in my mind only served to make him more human and lovable. You want some passion from the play by play guy, and he provided it. The opposite would be someone like Summerall, whose delivery was dry, monotone and lifeless.

A sacrilege on a Lake City boy.......
......"Summerall's stature as pro football's premier television broadcaster was a result of two things: first, his ability to play the "straight man" alongside John Madden's lively, verbose persona; second, his economical delivery that magnified the drama of a moment while allowing the pictures and his baritone-like voice to tell the story. His style was closely modeled on that of his predecessor as CBS' main NFL announcer, Ray Scott, also known for his minimalist style. One of Summerall's most memorable on-air calls was his account of Marcus Allen's electrifying touchdown run in Super Bowl XVIII. The transcript is surprisingly sparse: "Touchdown, 75 yards!" That the quote is memorable is testament to the weight of Summerall's voice when he was at the height of his powers as an NFL broadcaster. This was a hallmark of his broadcasting career as simple calls like "Montana......Rice.... Touchdown!" (describing a Joe Montana to Jerry Rice touchdown pass) to describe a big play were frequently used."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A sacrilege on a Lake City boy.......
......"Summerall's stature as pro football's premier television broadcaster was a result of two things: first, his ability to play the "straight man" alongside John Madden's lively, verbose persona; second, his economical delivery that magnified the drama of a moment while allowing the pictures and his baritone-like voice to tell the story. His style was closely modeled on that of his predecessor as CBS' main NFL announcer, Ray Scott, also known for his minimalist style. One of Summerall's most memorable on-air calls was his account of Marcus Allen's electrifying touchdown run in Super Bowl XVIII. The transcript is surprisingly sparse: "Touchdown, 75 yards!" That the quote is memorable is testament to the weight of Summerall's voice when he was at the height of his powers as an NFL broadcaster. This was a hallmark of his broadcasting career as simple calls like "Montana......Rice.... Touchdown!" (describing a Joe Montana to Jerry Rice touchdown pass) to describe a big play were frequently used."

I respect his career accomplishments but that doesn't make me like his style any more.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys rail on Verne but I don't look to him for insight into the game, he doesn't have any nor does he need any, he is a play by play guy only.
Sorry, but this simply isn't true. He is not a play-by-play guy. He never has been to my knowledge. "Wow!" and "How do you do?!" is not play-by-play.

As for the "Montana.... Rice... TD", Verne does not do that either. It's impossible to do when you don't know the players (other than Tebow or Manziel) or even the team.

Verne: Is Florida running the jump pass here?
GD: No, Verne, Florida is playing defense.
Verne: Is Bama running the jump pass?
GD: That's Arkansas and they are in the power I. I expect them to try to isolate the strong safety. They saw something they liked in game film. Smith off the right side behind Fullback Helmet. No gain. Nice play by the middle line backer to shed that pulling guard.
Verne: WOW! That whisky is strong.

Drunken buffoon. The sooner he's gone the better. I hope he never does another game. Frankly, if they fired him and replaced him with no one there would be no appreciable difference.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Sorry, but this simply isn't true. He is not a play-by-play guy. He never has been to my knowledge. "Wow!" and "How do you do?!" is not play-by-play.

As for the "Montana.... Rice... TD", Verne does not do that either. It's impossible to do when you don't know the players (other than Tebow or Manziel) or even the team.

GD: Now, Verne, Florida is playing defense.
GD: That's Arkansas and they are in the power I. I expect them to try to isolate the strong safety. They saw something they liked in game film. Smith off the right side behind Fullback Helmet. No gain. Nice play by the middle line backer to shed that pulling guard.

Drunken buffoon. The sooner he's gone the better. I hope he never does another game. Frankly, if they fired him and replaced him with no one there would be no appreciable difference.

Are you guys related or did he pee in your cheerios too?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

GD: Now, Verne, Florida is playing defense.

And this is why I listen to Mick and McGriff
Danielson makes some astute comments as well but I like the analysis, historical perspective and the in-depth aspect that McGriff gives, as well as him calling out the coaches and players on occasion when they screw up.
And this too:

"HE'S GOING TO SCORE!!!!"
"I just saw magic"...
"IT'S BEDLAM IN THE SWAMP!!!"

You're not going to get that anywhere else...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And this is why I listen to Mick and McGriff
Danielson makes some astute comments as well but I like the analysis, historical perspective and the in-depth aspect that McGriff gives, as well as him calling out the coaches and players on occasion when they screw up.
And this too:

"HE'S GOING TO SCORE!!!!"
"I just saw magic"...
"IT'S BEDLAM IN THE SWAMP!!!"

You're not going to get that anywhere else...

Verne : Odell Bedlam ??

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I listen to Mic Hubert anyhow....

I haven't invested the time in mastering the sync between radio and tv, and the delay kills me. Instead, I mute the tv (to save me getting mad at bad announcers) and let the radio play another game like Penn State vs Maryland, just to see if the wife is paying attention.

He deserves some forgiveness for qualifying for that "Antique Road Show".

That's the perfect term for him, "Antique Road Show"

Not to piss you off, but I heard Foley's working out a contract extension for old Verne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator