Non-XFL football league starting in February 2019

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The guy planning to start this league is the son of Dick Ebersol, the well known OJ Simpson apologist and supporter. So I guess this is going to be the anti-XFL McMahon envisioned and will be full of woman beaters, felons and anthem kneelers?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The guy planning to start this league is the son of Dick Ebersol, the well known OJ Simpson apologist and supporter. So I guess this is going to be the anti-XFL McMahon envisioned and will be full of woman beaters, felons and anthem kneelers?
You didn't read? Simpson himself is planning on playing.

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
:lmao2:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Personally, I think a developmental league could survive. Any league designed to make money will likely fail.

There is another developmental league that played last year and a similar one starting up this year or next.

The concept of having a 4 to 6 team league, all co-located on a "campus" - backed by the NFL - would have success. Each NFL team would contribute $1 million, which is NOTHING to them, and the league would have a budget of $32 million. Give each team $5 million to pay for everything: salaries, dorm rooms, meals, coaches, trainers, admin staff, etc. The extra $2 million would go towards the 'league front office' (for all other expenses such as electric & water bills, referees, etc). Players would have minimal salaries ($1,000/week or so) and each team would have one or two full-time/year round coaches (making decent money, $150K or so) and the rest would be brought in before the season started on short-term contracts. Just a few ideas here, nothing set in stone. But w/ the backing of each NFL team putting in $1 million it would develop a lot of talent for a league that needs OL's, QB's, and DL's badly. This would work with probably $500K per NFL team.

This would not only allow players to develop, but coaches, trainers, league officials, front office employees, interns, etc.

A pro football league trying to make a profit is going to have a tough go.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Don't see this amounting to anything but McMahon shouldn't have waited if he wanted to get a boost from the players disrespecting the Flag as that will probably mostly fizzle out by the end of next season but a lot of damage was already done hurting the NFL going forward. It showed quite a few people missing NFL games wasn't that big of a loss after all. Quite a few empty seats will be the norm in the NFL now just like this past season.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
You didn't read? Simpson himself is planning on playing.
You may be on to something here. A retired players league would be rather interesting to watch. Who wouldn't love to see Bart Starr slinging it one more time.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone have any doubt Tebow is going to be playing in one of these leagues?

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Personally, I think a developmental league could survive.

A pro football league trying to make a profit is going to have a tough go.
I agree on both points. The NFL cartel will never allow competition, but a developmental league might work.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
As long as they don’t cut players who have the audacity to pray after touchdowns, I’m cool with it.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Does anyone have any doubt Tebow is going to be playing in one of these leagues?

I have some doubt, he has stated NFL or no football. A part ownership might change that.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article208597184.html

Some exerts follow the article is a little long but pretty good.

And McManus holds two men associated with the league in high regard: movie producer Charlie Ebersol (son of former NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol) and former NFL general manager Bill Polian.

“The fact that Charlie Ebersol is involved and the fact Bill Polian is involved we think is important,” McManus said. “We don’t look at it as competitive in any way with the NFL. We look at it as good, solid programming. Of all the spring leagues that have been tried over the years, this one has a really good shot of making it. So we’re excited about it.”

1:02
Will Steve Spurrier coach again?
Former Duke, South Carolina, and Florida football coach Steve Spurrier talks with reporters during his visit to his old stompin' grounds in Durham. Steve WismanNews & Observer

Other U.S. football league ventures have been short-lived, including the XFL, the United Football League and United States Football League.

The AAF will try to limit games to 2 1/2 hours by eliminating kickoffs and extra points and implementing a 30-second play clock, 15 seconds less than the NFL’s. There will be no TV timeouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.