Note on Zaire

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I told you guys a while back from one of the Gator's Breakdown podcasts, Zaire admitted he had a copy of our playbook while he was waiting for the SEC to decide on the grad transfer rule.

Last year it seemed like everyone had a copy of our playbook.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like the guy wants to play, shows up prepared, appears to have a sense of urgency, we know he has a dream/plan... I'll take that over entitlement spoiled brats any day... wish him well and stay healthy. Go Gators!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SEC analysts conflicted on Florida Gators graduate transfer QB Malik Zaire

Former Notre Dame QB Malik Zaire runs with the ball during the 2014 Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl.
Andy Lyons/Getty Images
zachalboverdi_xbbxll.jpg

Zach Abolverdi
Posted 2 days ago

HOOVER, Ala. — Florida’s addition of graduate transfer Malik Zaire is one of the biggest storylines at SEC Media Days this year.

ESPN analysts Booger McFarland and Marcus Spears, a pair of former LSU defensive linemen, gave their take on Zaire this week in Hoover.

“What I think is Malik Zaire changes the game,” Spears told SEC Country. “The reason why I believe he changes the game is because a guy doesn’t transfer to come watch other people play. And also, a coach doesn’t accept a transfer that he doesn’t think can help his team right now.

“It may be an indictment on Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask, but at that position, you don’t bring in a quarterback and him not have the expectation to play and help the team.”

McFarland, however, does not think highly of Zaire. In an interview ESPN Nashville, McFarland expressed doubts about the kind of impact Zaire could have on the Gators.

“Florida doesn’t know who their quarterback is going to be,” McFarland said. “Don’t tell me Malik Zaire. He couldn’t cut it at Notre Dame. You don’t just let good quarterbacks walk out the door. He’s serviceable, but he’s not a good quarterback.”

Spears believes UF coach Jim McElwain will make the most Zaire’s skill set and predicts the Gators to return to Atlanta for the third straight season.

“Look at Malik when he played at Notre Dame. He had a 65 percent completion rate. That’s an important stat,” Spears said.
“You look across the college football landscape, dual-threat quarterbacks make a difference. I don’t what team you’re on, they make you better.

“It’s that much of a difference. It may account for two more wins than you’re really supposed to get. I think that’s a big deal with him coming in and then Jim has had a propensity to get the most out of some guys who didn’t have a tremendous amount of talent. So I think Florida will be fine. I’m actually picking them to win the East.”

Zaire's junior year he had a 65% rate but only played in 3 games and threw for just over 400 yards.
As a senior he played in 8 games, completed 11 of 22 attempts for a 47% completion rate and an astounding 122 yards and 1 touchdown. The future is bright.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So Zaire knows all three blocking schemes dumb Nuss has in the playbook. Yippee.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like the guy wants to play, shows up prepared, appears to have a sense of urgency, we know he has a dream/plan... I'll take that over entitlement spoiled brats any day... wish him well and stay healthy. Go Gators!
Sorry, I'd rather have grier.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This. I think Zaire may have the lead on assignments, reads, schemes, etc. This is a huge area that we've lacked at QB for a LONG TIME.
If he graduated ND early, then he's obviously a smart guy. If he plays and helps us win, great.
That said, you know it has to hurt our recruiting at the position to continue to take transfers and plug them into the starting lineup.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Its been talked about repeatedly (by those in the know) that he doesn't know it and he's still having problems with identifying where the blitz is coming from...then checking out of it.

Btw...just cause u don't know about this kind of $hit doesn't make it any less true! Do you think they went out and got Zaire to sit the bench? If so...:hahaha::lmao2:
I mean, we all have seen how reliable your "sources" are.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he graduated ND early, then he's obviously a smart guy. If he plays and helps us win, great.
That said, you know it has to hurt our recruiting at the position to continue to take transfers and plug them into the starting lineup.

I 100% agree the optics are bad, but at the same time, we all knew Trask and Franks were both projects and would take some time to develop.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well if the recruits would just read GC, they'd know that Franks was a blue chipper that the coaches failed to develop, Trask is trash, and that Butters will be gone after the season anyway

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well if the recruits would just read GC, they'd know that Franks was a blue chipper that the coaches failed to develop, Trask is trash, and that Butters will be gone after the season anyway
I don't think anyone truly believes Mac will be gone after 2017...short of a 4-8 type campaign. I'm reasonably sure Nuss will be the scapegoat, which will buy Mac at least one more year...if not more.
Regarding Frank's, most wanted him starting last year no matter how much of a "project" he was supposed to be.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
One guy says Franks is having trouble with the playbook, then another guy repeats it, and then another. Suddenly there's a contingent of those "in the know".
Years ago there was an oft reported "fact" about how many people died as a result of second hand smoke. After years it turned out that there was no study. Everybody was just quoting each other.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One guy says Franks is having trouble with the playbook, then another guy repeats it, and then another. Suddenly there's a contingent of those "in the know".
Years ago there was an oft reported "fact" about how many people died as a result of second hand smoke. After years it turned out that there was no study. Everybody was just quoting each other.
I heard that too

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't think anyone truly believes Mac will be gone after 2017...short of a 4-8 type campaign. I'm reasonably sure Nuss will be the scapegoat, which will buy Mac at least one more year...if not more.
Regarding Frank's, most wanted him starting last year no matter how much of a "project" he was supposed to be.
Do you not think Nuss is the problem? It seems to me if you get rid of the under perfoming employee then they are not a scapegoat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator