Nueheisel comments on McElwain/UF offense

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Peace was a big time recruit

That's great to hear!!! :D :D :D Good for Wayne! I posted up a list of QBs, some were highly regarded, some weren't. My bad.

But it's not the point. The point is that most of those other QBs listed ended being mildly-to-highly productive no matter how highly/lowly regarded they were in HS. McElwain ran his mouth at his intro presser (we all know the line, "I can win with my dog....") and basically said, "I don't give a sh*t who I have playing QB...." Well, maybe he shouldn't have said that. And if that's the case....well, it's time to put up!

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Excuses don't work with a fan base that has seen other coaches make do with walkon. McElwain has not shown any ability to coach up a QB and UF fans have seen Spurrier, Hall, Pell and Meyer all deal with substandard QBs and make an offense respectable.
You know it is possible to realize and acknowledge that chump left a steaming pile of crap on the offensive side of the ball that would take any coach a couple of years to remedy and not actually be just making excuses for Mac. Unfortunately it's reality and it's easy to sit on a keyboard and say it's excuses and it should be fixed...how? How are you going to fix it in 1 year of recruiting. You can't just snap your fingers and poof it's all better because you want it and demand it. Now it's year 3 and all on Mac if the offense doesn't get going

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
That's great to hear!!! :D :D :D Good for Wayne! I posted up a list of QBs, some were highly regarded, some weren't. My bad.

But it's not the point. The point is that most of those other QBs listed ended being mildly-to-highly productive no matter how highly/lowly regarded they were in HS. McElwain ran his mouth at his intro presser (we all know the line, "I can win with my dog....") and basically said, "I don't give a sh*t who I have playing QB...." Well, maybe he shouldn't have said that. And if that's the case....well, it's time to put up!

Everybody is on board the 2017-is-the-year-to-put-up-or-shut-up train but any argument about QB development is weak sauce. Mac's had sh't to work with so far. Back in the day seems like no matter how deep Spurrier went in the depth chart he had capable QB's. But I doubt that even the best QB coach to ever walk the sidelines could do much with Treon or weak armed LDR. Hell if Grier stayed there's a good chance we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Everybody is on board the 2017-is-the-year-to-put-up-or-shut-up train but any argument about QB development is weak sauce. Mac's had sh't to work with so far. Back in the day seems like no matter how deep Spurrier went in the depth chart he had capable QB's. But I doubt that even the best QB coach to ever walk the sidelines could do much with Treon or weak armed LDR. Hell if Grier stayed there's a good chance we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Got it! More excuses....

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Not to speak for Insti, but here's a list of not exactly 5-star QB's (well, maybe Leak?):

Shane Matthews was an unheralded signee out of Mississippi (and 5th or lower on the depth chart when Spurrier arrived....and had just gotten in trouble for gambling prior to Spurrier's arrival in late 89).

Kerwin Bell was a walk-on (under Pell/Hall).

Bob Hewko & Wayne Peace weren't superstars when they came in (from my memory).

Leak wasn't suited to run Meyer's offense.

Donald Douglas/Kyle Morris (but that offense was essentially Emmitt Smith).

Whoa - you've missed a few there.

Shane was a fairly highly regarded recruit that hadn't panned out (yet) and got caught up in the gambling mess with Kyle Morris.

Bell was a walk on and wow. Spot on there. Legendary story and I wish we had him on the staff right now.

Hewko was unknown to fans but was a solid recruit. But let's give credit where due - Mike Shanahan was his OC & QB coach.

Peace was a highly recruited star at Lakeland and the Gators scooped up the top 4 in-state QBs in that class (Dorminey, Sibbald and Massey were the others.)

SOS did manage to win with walk-on Noah, though. But he was forced to do so because he couldn't sort out Doug or any other QBs on the roster.

The Donald Douglas contribution to the offense was putrid and Morris was not one you'd want either. In fact, those stats and records would give Swamp Donkey a lot more company in his despair. GatorNation was fuming then and we hadn't ever won anything yet.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not to speak for Insti, but here's a list of not exactly 5-star QB's (well, maybe Leak?):

Shane Matthews was an unheralded signee out of Mississippi (and 5th or lower on the depth chart when Spurrier arrived....and had just gotten in trouble for gambling prior to Spurrier's arrival in late 89).

The highly recuited QB who was Mississippi Player of the year Shane Matthews? Recruited by Mississippi State, Texas A&M (which is the OC he followed to UF), Mississippi, and a few other SEC schools.

Kerwin Bell was a walk-on (under Pell/Hall).

9th quarterback on the roster and walk on starting due to defection and injury.

Bob Hewko & Wayne Peace weren't superstars when they came in (from my memory).

I don't remember Hewko recruitment, but Peace was a prized recruit being all state in both football and Basketball.

Leak wasn't suited to run Meyer's offense.

Chris Leak All-American, Parade's Player of the Year (2003) and 5* recruit

Donald Douglas/Kyle Morris (but that offense was essentially Emmitt Smith).

Douglas was recruited by West Virginia, Syracuse and Houston (he was from Texas). Morris was recruited by a couple of other SEC schools (if I remember right it might have been just the two Mississippi school he was an instate prospect for them).

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I'm curious to hear who you consider to be substandard under that list of coaches? They were unheralded or underrated perhaps, but substandard? I'm having trouble thinking of one this early in the morning.

My thoughts on substandard QBs that each coach on my list had good offenses include:

Pell: Having to I believe go on the road and win with true frosh Wayne Peace when an injury suddenly made UF burn Peace's red shirt.

Hall: Losing 6 QBs to transfer and injury and having to coach up a walkon in Kerwin Bell to start the season against Miami in Tampa.

Spurrier: Similarly having to start true Frosh from Canada in Jesse Palmer when Johnson was suspended and having to supplement the QB position with a walkon in Noah Brindise.

Heck I should have mentioned Graves having a credible offense with Larry "The Blade" Rentz at QB.

All good UF coaches have had to get by with a less than ideal situation at QB and other offensive positions from time to time. Heck with excellent recruiting the 85 player roster means a couple of injuries and ala 2000 you must get by as UF got by with true frosh MLBs to win an SEC title.

Several of the situations I listed above were not unlike having a QB injury last year and having to go with a not really ready yet but highly recruited true frosh Franks. It is time for this group to show they can contribute to their program by coaching up these offensive players to have an offense that is not ranked triple digits.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But but but....

Mushcramp.

They will be saying the same shyt this time next year. Poor Donkeyteeth is in an impossible situation because he has no QB.

So ridiculous. Out of the 116 teams in Div 1, probably only 10 or 20 have more talent on offense. Did he inherit the talent to be elite? No. Did he inherit 116th talent? Fvkk no. It takes a Mushchimp (now #115 as I recall) to pull that off.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Muschump got more production out of Treon than the Qb whisperer how is bringing up Treon over and over again anything but an excuse?
Because he didn't. Treon's completion % actually went up under Mac. And the W/L was about the same for the same quality opponents. In any case Treon came on in the 2nd half of the season and defenses took a while to figure out what his skill set was. Once they realized he didn't have a skill set they killed him.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Because he didn't. Treon's completion % actually went up under Mac. And the W/L was about the same for the same quality opponents. In any case Treon came on in the 2nd half of the season and defenses took a while to figure out what his skill set was. Once they realized he didn't have a skill set they killed him.

His yards per game higher under Muschamp
Yards per att higher under Muschamp
Touchdown to interception higher under Muschamp
Qb rating higher under Muschamp
Rushing yards
Rushing yards per carry
Rushing touchdowns all higher under Muschamp
you can't throw out one stat and say he wasn't more productive.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
His yards per game higher under Muschamp
Yards per att higher under Muschamp
Touchdown to interception higher under Muschamp
Qb rating higher under Muschamp
Rushing yards
Rushing yards per carry
Rushing touchdowns all higher under Muschamp
you can't throw out one stat and say he wasn't more productive.

Sure man. Look a the Olines he played behind from 2015 to 2016. And again, as I said, once defenses figured out he couldn't pass from the pocket, got his completions on scrambles with receivers coming back for the ball etc. they killed him. Look, if you're gonna argue that Treon was a QB, you win. I'm out.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don't remember Hewko recruitment, but Peace was a prized recruit being all state in both football and Basketball.

Hewko was a HS All-American out of PA. Pell referred to him as "My Namath."

Peace led Lakeland to 2 state championship games in football and was a key starter on 2 state finalist hoops teams. He was a good baseball player, too.

He came to UF in part because Bama wanted him to play LB or RB.

And he is the nicest, most unassuming guy you'd ever meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator