Nuss moving to booth. Will it help?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...ssmeier-will-leave-field-coach-box-tennessee/

The Gators face a tough task this weekend, opening the Swamp for the first time this season, after being off for two weeks, and hosting SEC East rival Tennessee. After beating the Vols in each of his first two seasons, head coach Jim McElwain will attempt to avoid a two-game losing streak to Tennessee this weekend.

The biggest news McElwain revealed was that OC Doug Nussmeier will move to the box to call plays on gameday. He previously called the plays from the sideline.

McElwain was the third coach to speak during Wednesday’s SEC Coaches Teleconference.

Here’s a summary of what he had to say:

• Our first thoughts are with the state of Florida and the families affected by the storm. I don’t know if you can get back to normal. Hopefully, the game brings a couple hours of enjoyment as they try to rebuild.
  • Did this experience last year help in prep for this year? Each event is unique. In this case, this particular storm did great damage to the whole state. This one has been devastating to everyone throughout. With that being said, I know our guys are excited to play after last week’s game was canceled.
  • Was there any thought to canceling the Tennessee game? I know our first responders have been in contact with the government and just seeing what the right thing is to do. I know there are a lot more people and a lot more things important than 3rd down and six. They got together and decided to play.
  • McElwain reveals Doug Nussemier will move back up to the box for the Tennessee
  • Concerned Feleipe Franks didn’t get another game of prep before Tennessee? We were looking forward to playing that (Northern Colorado) game. He has an opportunity this week. Our focus is to play a good game Saturday. It’s not about our opponent, it’s about us. No doubt it would have been good to get a game in but the circumstances are bigger than this game.
  • How do you go about choosing a special teams coach? Choosing one with experience and choosing one that has been in this league. In our case, every coach is still responsible for coaching individuals coaching on special teams.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
A couple quotes that jump out at me:

"Hopefully, the game brings a couple hours of enjoyment"
And a couple hours of misery? Or maybe is he planning on forfeiting about halfway through the 3rd?

"...there are a lot more people and a lot more things important than 3rd down and six"

This tells you a lot about his thought processes. First of all he sounds like a moron with no command of basic English. Second, he decides to throw out a random down and distance to make his point, and the first thing that pops in his mind is 3rd and long.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

And a couple hours of misery? Or maybe is he planning on forfeiting about halfway through the 3rd?

"...there are a lot more people and a lot more things important than 3rd down and six"

This tells you a lot about his thought processes. First of all he sounds like a moron with no command of basic English. Second, he decides to throw out a random down and distance to make his point, and the first thing that pops in his mind is 3rd and long.

I thought the same thing about the 3rd and long comment...:facepalm:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014

At this point he's gotta be more familiar with third and long than he is with his own family

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's defeated, he looked pitiful during that presser. He knows he can't pull the wool over the Gator Nation anymore and his time's get'n short.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
With Nuss in the box, "Over the top" could have new meaning and less distance to travel... come on Blue side, do the right thing... toss him

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you guys really believe that Mac is in trouble?

I think it is clear that he has at least until next year so I wonder if there is any merit in continuing to make references to his dismissal.

I can't help but feel like this stuff sounds kinda like Maxine Waters puking her incessant "Impeach 45" rant she seems to love so much.

Honestly, I think the question is whether or not he survives 2018........

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I think it is clear that he has at least until next year so I wonder if there is any merit in continuing to make references to his dismissal.

I can't help but feel like this stuff sounds kinda like Maxine Waters puking her incessant "Impeach 45" rant she seems to love so much.

The only question is when he'll be fired. Not if. I agree that it'll probably be in 2018 just based on how they handled the Muschamp fiasco four years ago.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Even if his actual job is not in trouble he has to know that his offense is not acceptable. I would bet he has plenty of money so living expenses are probably not an issue. Who here would like to fail on that big of a stage?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I honestly do not think Butters is in trouble this season, but I for one have thrown in the towel on him regardless of what happens this weekend. I turned sour on him in year one b/c I think the product he puts on the field every Saturday is well below average. No improvement, no development, no adjustments, poor fundamentals, no attention to detail. All those things tell me that the process on Sunday-Friday is awful b/c Saturday's are below average. Forget about the record, but I understand that is the easy way out for a non football understanding, SACless AD, and he will rest on that. Our fan base is record oriented and although we have gotten to SECCG twice, the overall product has been bad, and over time in a team sport, if the process sux, the product will also. Regardless of the resutls against UT, my feeling will not change!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

If a coach loses the locker room...he gone. I'm not convinced he survives. The kids look like they are losing faith in him. 2222, being totally on black out seems like a bad sign to me. I bet there's even more **** going on behind closed doors.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The only question is when he'll be fired. Not if. I agree that it'll probably be in 2018 just based on how they handled the Muschamp fiasco four years ago.

I agree it will be 2018, simply because of we seem to be cheap (and don't want to pay the buyout). But I don't get the comment here. Are you implying we'll repeat the fiasco and keep McElwain an extra year? If anything, I would think they learned something from the fiasco and will decide to cut him loose.

If we get trucked again this year (blown out), which I think is inevitable, he's done - and likely this year. I read several message boards and there is a vocal contingent of fans who are usually on the "pumper" side who have given up.

What I don't get about "pumpers" is that most of them are so loyal to the coach that they could care less about the program. Most of us, even pumpers, will admit - at the end of the day - we're Gator fans......not McElwain, or Spurrier, or Meyer, or Zook, or Muschamp fans. We are Gators first and if someone f*cks w/ that then we should want them gone. Right?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What I don't get about "pumpers" is that most of them are so loyal to the coach that they could care less about the program. Most of us, even pumpers, will admit - at the end of the day - we're Gator fans......not McElwain, or Spurrier, or Meyer, or Zook, or Muschamp fans. We are Gators first and if someone f*cks w/ that then we should want them gone. Right?

This times infinity. The whole "well, him magically becoming a good coach overnight is the best thing for the program" is the biggest pile of steaming poo I have ever heard. Take the orange hued glasses off and look reality in the face. Once you recognize the problem you can start dealing with it. And the whole, "but a coach will never want to come here if you fire him after 3 years" is another pile of bull****. Urban F ing Meyer...we fired Zook mid-year and got a HOF coach. You get what you pay for...you hear me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.