O-Dome renovation renderings

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This should be a big boon to Billy's recruiting efforts. How do we compete with Cameron Indoor, Assembly Hall, the Smith Center, and Rupp? We may not have as much history or tradition, may not have a large enough established fan base ready to pack a cavernous gym, so we go another direction entirely. I love the atmosphere of the old Alligator Alley, but I'm not a 17 year old recruit. This new O'Dome won't look like a college arena. All these kids dream of the NBA and this will look like a state-of-the-art mini NBA arena. I think it's a brilliant move and recruits are going to love it. Glad to see Foley and the UAA showing Billy some love.

Alex.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n8661 said:
Those aren't the real renderings.

Yeah...update says basically the story is a mistake. Good pictures, though.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n8618 said:
This should be a big boon to Billy's recruiting efforts. How do we compete with Cameron Indoor, Assembly Hall, the Smith Center, and Rupp? We may not have as much history or tradition, may not have a large enough established fan base ready to pack a cavernous gym, so we go another direction entirely. I love the atmosphere of the old Alligator Alley, but I'm not a 17 year old recruit. This new O'Dome won't look like a college arena. All these kids dream of the NBA and this will look like a state-of-the-art mini NBA arena. I think it's a brilliant move and recruits are going to love it. Glad to see Foley and the UAA showing Billy some love.
Alex.

Cameron is a pintsized dump. What Billy needs are 4-5k more real fans at each game. For the life of me, I don't know how Billy recruits at all with the lack of fan support that Florida's most successful program suffers through. Foley would be better served using the $40-50 million paying people to go to the games and act like real fans.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n8705 said:
Cameron is a pintsized dump. What Billy needs are 4-5k more real fans at each game. For the life of me, I don't know how Billy recruits at all with the lack of fan support that Florida's most successful program suffers through. Foley would be better served using the $40-50 million paying people to go to the games and act like real fans.
I would say that is a little extreme, but on the right track. The fan base for basketball is not what it should be, but I think it will get there.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n8705 said:

Florida's a long (I don't want to say "big") state. For fans to drive from Miami, Pensacola, or even Tampa and Orlando, on a weeknight, for a two hour game, is hard to justify, esp. since on a weeknight, you're going to have to (a) probably stay overnight and (b) potentially miss work the next day.

When my adult sons were kids, I used to find a Saturday or Sunday day game to drive down to, but even so, from Savannah, it's a 3.25 hour drive each way for a 2 hour game that isn't an all day experience like you have for football and its associated tailgating. Just b/c of FL's geography, I think Billy could have won the NC this year and would still have attendance issues on mid-week night games this year. Perhaps more seating for the students, and drawing more attendance from those living in Jax and Gainesville (and maybe ORL) will help, but mid-week night games are gonna be a tough sell, no matter how well our team plays.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
And UF's premier track and field program loses its indoor facility as a result of the renovations. They are always in the top three for men and women's indoor and outdoor track every year.

That's wrong.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator said:
And UF's premier track and field program loses its indoor facility as a result of the renovations. They are always in the top three for men and women's indoor and outdoor track every year.

That's wrong.
That's true. It's going to be rough for the 8 people that follow track and field.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator said:

That's wrong.
:lmao:

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator said:

That's wrong.
Calm down, Dude. If they were going to dig up the UF golf course, you'd probably feel the same way.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n8962 said:
Florida's a long (I don't want to say "big") state. For fans to drive from Miami, Pensacola, or even Tampa and Orlando, on a weeknight, for a two hour game, is hard to justify, esp. since on a weeknight, you're going to have to (a) probably stay overnight and (b) potentially miss work the next day.

When my adult sons were kids, I used to find a Saturday or Sunday day game to drive down to, but even so, from Savannah, it's a 3.25 hour drive each way for a 2 hour game that isn't an all day experience like you have for football and its associated tailgating. Just b/c of FL's geography, I think Billy could have won the NC this year and would still have attendance issues on mid-week night games this year. Perhaps more seating for the students, and drawing more attendance from those living in Jax and Gainesville (and maybe ORL) will help, but mid-week night games are gonna be a tough sell, no matter how well our team plays.
I remember for the Missouri game, a midweek 9pm game, there was near a sell-out with 5000+ students. They oversold the heck out of that game for students and it worked. They let students in all throughout the upper bowl. With the new renovations the capacity will actually decrease which is probably not a bad thing.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator said:

That's wrong.
Nah there are plenty of other golf courses they could play on if the UF one were to be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.