Obama and wife use portrait artist who shows black women holding severed white heads

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gator Fever, Feb 12, 2018.

1. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $486
    Ratings:
    +4,564 / -210
    I was married to a Belinda
    This is why I love coming here. To be challenged. So I went and read about this guy. He had a Nigerian father who did not know (sorta like BO). He looks at old paintings and reworks them with black subjects. The ones that created the uproar are from paintings like that. I guess all of his art is free speech. He is not an elected official. He is an artist. A gay artist even. Artists are weird and wired strangely. I live with one. My nephew wrote a disturbing thing in HS about sexual deviation or death and his dad was called in. They finally realized he was dark in that head and not threatened or a threat. This guy has a huge body of work. He has those violent depictions of black on white crime. DO I FEEL threatened by it? No. I like some art and much of it I just think, meh. I think BO liked this guys style of painting and how they are alike in their backgrounds. If you think it is a huge outrage and a very poor choice it must be. You are way more smarter than me and grounded in history and geopolitics and social order and disorder. But I am too experienced to fret about artists and former presidents that are savaged on here almost 24/7. We will just disagree (like we do often). But I still respect you greatly. If I have lost your respect, get in line. It is a very short line in my circle. (at least I think it is). Either that or people are too scared to confront me about my shortcomings.

2. pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $520
    Ratings:
    +4,299 / -72
  3. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $585
    Ratings:
    +3,418 / -12
  4. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $662
    Ratings:
    +3,472 / -53
    [​IMG]

5. itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $643
    Ratings:
    +6,858 / -41
    Some people will never accept responsibility for their actions. Lots of examples within this very thread.

6. Gulfstream

Gulfstream zzzzzzzzzzz
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $103
    Ratings:
    +475 / -5
    Your right and i would like to apoligize. But believe me when i tell you that 15 minutes with Belinda Carlisle back in the day was all i would have needed.
    Again, im sorry.

7. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $486
    Ratings:
    +4,564 / -210
    :lmao:

8. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $486
    Ratings:
    +4,564 / -210
    Sperm? well hell that clears it all up.....................Village Voice of reason also helps solve this abomination..............
    or is Obamination...................

9. AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $788
    Ratings:
    +7,423 / -10
    This is why I love coming here. To be challenged. So I went and read about this guy. He had a Nigerian father who did not know (sorta like BO). So if Trump chooses an artist because he's a rich white guy from NYC (just like Trump) that would cool? What's the message? I'm going to reward people who look like me and have a similar background as me? He looks at old paintings and reworks them with black subjects. The ones that created the uproar are from paintings like that. I'm the one who mentioned the Judith paintings Coach, I know. I guess all of his art is free speech. He is not an elected official. He is an artist. A gay artist even. Artists are weird and wired strangely. Yes Coach, I know. I mentioned that too. These are things we agree on. I live with one. My nephew wrote a disturbing thing in HS about sexual deviation or death and his dad was called in. They finally realized he was dark in that head and not threatened or a threat. This guy has a huge body of work. He has those violent depictions of black on white crime. DO I FEEL threatened by it? No. I'm not asking if you feel threatened by it. I'm asking if you think choosing this artist was a good idea. I like some art and much of it I just think, meh. I think BO liked this guys style of painting and how they are alike in their backgrounds. So Obama's decision was based in part on race and ethnicity? And that's OK? If you think it is a huge outrage and a very poor choice it must be. I think Obama made a poor choice. I'm not outraged. I think the painting of Obama is weird (like much of this guy's stuff). I think the guy's history makes him questionable. Put the two together and Obama made a poor choice. You are way more smarter than me and grounded in history and geopolitics and social order and disorder. Stop it. But I am too experienced to fret about artists and former presidents that are savaged on here almost 24/7. Are we talking about Trump who is constantly savaged more than any president ever? Oh, you said FORMER, my bad. Must be talking about W. We will just disagree (like we do often). But I still respect you greatly. If I have lost your respect, get in line. It is a very short line in my circle. (at least I think it is). Either that or people are too scared to confront me about my shortcomings. I like you too much Coach. I can't stay mad at you.

Let me replay the scene for you. The artist Obama chose had previously created questionable works of racial violence. His painting of Obama is weird. Obama made a poor choice. That's the thread.

But that's not how you see it. You see it as an unjustified personal attack on Obama rather than a perfectly reasonable criticism of his choice of artist.

Instead of following the logic of the thread and making some reasonable argument about the Judith theme or crazy artists in general or punishing an artist for a phase they may have gone through years ago, you went completely off the reservation.

You saw the image of the beheaded white girl and somehow concluded that we were threatened by it. You felt you had to respond to that perceived threat by posting a picture of actual racial violence. Almost like saying "well, this is worse than that, so that is OK". There is no logic there. What happened to Medgar Evers, MLK, and Emmett Till have no bearing on Obama's choice of an artist in 2017.

Am I making any sense???

Alex.

10. Slug

Slug I fcuking hate people.

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +1,368 / -12
    I guess @stephenPE wishes the early demise of Bush.

11. divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $914
    Ratings:
    +8,125 / -26
    You, sir, have the patience of a saint.

12. itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $643
    Ratings:
    +6,858 / -41
    More like 15 seconds. :lol:

13. Durty South Swamp

Durty South Swamp doodley doodley doo!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,022
    Ratings:
    +9,642 / -69
    Coach, this is durty speaking as your friend... seriously brother, you should stop. You are way out in left field on this one and moving further that way with each post. What you are trying to defend is indefensible. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

You can still be a good democrat and liberal champion without feeling the need to absolve Obama of his choice of portrait artists. Choosing someone to paint you who is most known for imagery of blacks decapitating whites is not something that should draw political lines. Anyone who makes a living off painting pictures of any race of persons decapitating any other race should be denounced for their vile racism. And anyone who supports those that do this needs to be taken to task for it, including Obama. It really is that simple. There's no past actions or potential future events that make this fact any less concrete.

Debating the merits of this only makes one look like a defender of racism. Period.

14. Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
    $865
    Ratings:
    +1,687 / -18
    Into the poison ivy?

15. Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
    $865
    Ratings:
    +1,687 / -18
    I am not a fan of the former President because of his policies and politics. I don’t wallow in hatred just because I disagree. And I don’t despise his wife and daughters.

I don’t understand his portrait. The likeness is fine, open collar Barry, casual etc. is fine as a choice. I don’t get the ivy. At all. Is he saving the planet? IDK.

Michelle’s is awful. Taking the positive view a portrait artist should, it doesn’t look like her. She’s a statuesque, strong woman who tends to dress as she is at the portrait’s reveal. Why put her in what looks like a bedspread or quilt? The likeness is not accurate at all. And so bland.

If you randomly asked a viewer to identify the subject they wouldn’t...My wife hadn’t seen it yet. She thought it might be one of the Obama’s daughters.

#55 Theologator, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. gator1946

gator1946 Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $305
    Ratings:
    +1,654 / -8
    Yep. I appreciate many forms of art. But ladies and gentleman aside from the politics, WTH? A former president in a hedge? And who is that person in MO's portrait? If you're going to stray that far from reality why not resurrect Picasso and go all cubist. Artistic license or no artistic license those things aren't very good.

17. bradgator2

bradgator2 1/29/17 half marathon - 1 hour, 34 min, 2 secs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $573
    Ratings:
    +6,651 / -42
    Looks like a paint by numbers I did when I was 5.

18. Scott512

Scott512 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $165
    Ratings:
    +868 / -21
    The Obama's sure surround themselves with a lot of s*** don't they?

19. GR8 2B

GR8 2B A Florida Gator
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $296
    Ratings:
    +1,148 / -22
    Doesn't actually say it all, but it says enough. . .

upload_2018-2-18_19-3-1.png

20. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $486
    Ratings:
    +4,564 / -210
    That will certainly look out of place I guess. But then again TRumps pic will be up there and there is no way to sanatize that sh#T...........