Offensive Line and Running Backs - Week 1

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
The rest of the OL excelled on that play. He single handily ruined the play. I wonder how long of a leash they give him. Unless Forsythe is a significant drop off I can't imagine they allow this type of performance to continue.

Jordan got to the second level and had basically blocked two guys out of that play. If Ivey doesn't let his guy rip inside it is probably a TD.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Davis didn't look quite 100%. I don't believe he returned after taking a good hit low on his leg.
Haven't heard of any injury, so until I hear otherwise i'll assume he is fine. The way Pierce runs it's going to be difficult
to keep him out of the lineup. I loved seeing him knock the bejesus out of the return man on kickoff too. I wish we had 70 guys
play the way he does. As far as i'm concerned Scarlett and the rest of the backs got put on notice Saturday night.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ivey had many good plays this game.....damn....y'all are ruthless to a loyal, good Gator who has done his best since stepping on campus as a freshman and playing game one. Never caused an ounce of trouble.

Whistling past the graveyard?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jordan got to the second level and had basically blocked two guys out of that play. If Ivey doesn't let his guy rip inside it is probably a TD.
Jordan can be pretty competent.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
The rest of the OL excelled on that play. He single handily ruined the play. I wonder how long of a leash they give him. Unless Forsythe is a significant drop off I can't imagine they allow this type of performance to continue.

The good news is the film doesn't lie. This play (and others like it) are there for the coaches to see and show the team. Hevesy may have this play on continuous loop in the OL meeting room.

I would be surprised if this staff chose to play favorites and continue to start any guy who doesn't try hard. It's one thing to be short on talent, effort doesn't depend on skill level. The "relentless effort" mantra is something I think the coaching staff will continue to drive home to the team.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Ivey had many good plays this game.....damn....y'all are ruthless to a loyal, good Gator who has done his best since stepping on campus as a freshman and playing game one. Never caused an ounce of trouble.
You are right and when I have time this week I will. But according to jeffo on this thread who did watch the first half film on slomo, he missed on 80% of his run calls:
What’s up with M. Ivey?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My guess is Mullen will use auburn type mis direction and wrinkles to open up the middle and force a defense out of position so that it's not all on the OL to move 7 players for our RBs. Hope so anyway.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I thought Davis didn't look quite 100%. I don't believe he returned after taking a good hit low on his leg.
Haven't heard of any injury, so until I hear otherwise i'll assume he is fine. The way Pierce runs it's going to be difficult
to keep him out of the lineup. I loved seeing him knock the bejesus out of the return man on kickoff too. I wish we had 70 guys
play the way he does. As far as i'm concerned Scarlett and the rest of the backs got put on notice Saturday night.
Right now I imagine that Mullen trusts Scarlett and Perrine to take care of the ball. They are big, decent RBs. Maybe it's in the second half that after wearing some defenses down we use the other guys and it works.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Maybe the OL is still thinking too much. Mullen/Hevesy introduced a zone blocking scheme that's a bit more complicated than the previous system. Maybe it will take a game or two before it becomes ingrained?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe the OL is still thinking too much. Mullen/Hevesy introduced a zone blocking scheme that's a bit more complicated than the previous system. Maybe it will take a game or two before it becomes ingrained?

Trautwein still doesn't get it.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I am very please with this game but it was Charelston So.

But I am also a bit concerned with the lack of holes for the running game. Do I worry about UK, CSU, or UT not at this time HOWEVER, LSU and So. Car are another story...Even Mizzou.

This team will need to blow holes. What I find puzzling is last year we could not pass block? The run blocking was not too bad.

And it is real clear, Mullen ain't fooling when he says the 3's have a ways to go.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Is it a coincidence that Florida's big 3 are all having OL problems and all three recruit OL mainly from Florida? Yeah, once in a while you can find a good one here and there in Florida but for me you recruit OL in Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, NC, eh maybe SC.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Is it a coincidence that Florida's big 3 are all having OL problems and all three recruit OL mainly from Florida? Yeah, once in a while you can find a good one here and there in Florida but for me you recruit OL in Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, NC, eh maybe SC.

Things do seem to have changed some as I remember those old Miami teams having some O linemen that allowed overrated QBs to practically do their taxes when they dropped back to pass.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Things do seem to have changed some as I remember those old Miami teams having some O linemen that allowed overrated QBs to practically do their taxes when they dropped back to pass.
They probably recruited them from all over the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator