Offensive Line and Running Backs - Week 1

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Can't be I was told on this very board, that last year Scarlett was an blue chip NFL talent.... can't be him.

I don't remember if I posted this or not, but I wonder if Scarlett is an NFL type back. That is a back rarely loses yardage, but will also rarely break a big run. DBs are so fast in the NFL that big runs are rarer than in college so guys like Scarlett might do better in that league. Of course here we are concerned with what is best for a college team.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't remember if I posted this or not, but I wonder if Scarlett is an NFL type back. That is a back rarely loses yardage, but will also rarely break a big run. DBs are so fast in the NFL that big runs are rarer than in college so guys like Scarlett might do better in that league. Of course here we are concerned with what is best for a college team.

No you, but you listed earlier why Scarlet isn't an NFL back, he lacks vision.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Is it a coincidence that Florida's big 3 are all having OL problems and all three recruit OL mainly from Florida? Yeah, once in a while you can find a good one here and there in Florida but for me you recruit OL in Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, NC, eh maybe SC.
Interesting, much more work to recruit out of state. 4 star Florida OL should be pretty good players. The commit from Maryland is a big deal.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not ready to give up on any players yet, because it's pretty obvious none of them have been coached for the last few years. Let's see what they can do with a little bit of coaching.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is it a coincidence that Florida's big 3 are all having OL problems and all three recruit OL mainly from Florida? Yeah, once in a while you can find a good one here and there in Florida but for me you recruit OL in Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, NC, eh maybe SC.
:mac:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Ivey and Johnson are both liabilities. Good grades, gentlemanly demeanor, service to the community are wonderful things - but both players are a detriment on the field and both need to shape up or sit down. We've brought in some new blood lately, and if the seniors aren't cutting it, it's time for the next man up. That's not being ruthless, that's simple accountability.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think Scarlett will be fine. We are overreacting to 6 carries. 1 was a short yardage dive for 1st down and 2 were blown blocks. He gained 900 yards 2 years ago. He’s going to help in SEC play.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I think Scarlett will be fine. We are overreacting to 6 carries. 1 was a short yardage dive for 1st down and 2 were blown blocks. He gained 900 yards 2 years ago. He’s going to help in SEC play.
My recollection is in Nuss's scheme, for whatever reasons, he was having to fight for yards. It just seemed someone was always there to hit him at the LOS. Same for Perrine. Again, that's my recollection. Hopefully Mullen's designs work better and if teams have to respect the pass and play back our RBs will always have a chance to do something productive. I did not get to watch the game but I hope our run blocking gets there.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Behind the same blah OL, Pierce ripped the better gains. He bolted through quicker and seemed to punish tacklers. Looks like he'll be the best at breaking tackles. I still remember M. Davis being slippery and making breakaway runs before getting hurt last year. Perrine ran decently. However, Scarlett's gonna have to show more.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Ivey has been playing off of his recruiting rankings for 4 years now. He has never impressed as any kind of a dominant player since he put on the orange and blue. I wish it was otherwise but he has been average at best.

I think Ivey's been less than average. It's too often his target who blows up the play, tackles the runner.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Behind the same blah OL, Pierce ripped the better gains. He bolted through quicker and seemed to punish tacklers. Looks like he'll be the best at breaking tackles. I still remember M. Davis being slippery and making breakaway runs before getting hurt last year. Perrine ran decently. However, Scarlett's gonna have to show more.

Pierce is going to be a superstar. Scarlett is a very good back. In fact, all of our backs are really good. Unfortunately not enough carries to go around. Maybe another reason we don’t get Sanders.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

He’s a 3rd and 2 machine.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Unfortunately not enough carries to go around. Maybe another reason we don’t get Sanders.
You bring up a good point. Alabama has not recruited RB so well past two classes. Sanders will see less logjam and more PT opportunity at Alabama.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014

Good analysis of a handful of plays from the first half. Maybe Scarlett wasn't as rusty as I initially thought. O-Line didn't give him much to work with.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett had a chance for a big run in that game but didn't make the right move. Davis did also but misjudged things but the difference between the two is Davis will usually have good vision while Scarlett doesn't and is mostly just a bruiser.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
That's pretty concerning. I realize that was just a handful of plays but those guys have been there 3-4 years and getting whipped by DL 70lbs lighter than them? Praying for first game jitters because the competition only gets better.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
That's pretty concerning. I realize that was just a handful of plays but those guys have been there 3-4 years and getting whipped by DL 70lbs lighter than them? Praying for first game jitters because the competition only gets better.

Yeah it's definitely concerning. But those 3-4 years were spent with the Butters regime that didn't coach anyone on anything except makin' PBJ's. Ivey and Johnson might as well be freshman at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator