Offensive line trouble - David Wunderlich Film Study (CSU vs UF)

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Over all else, Franks needs some cognitive reaction tests & training. UF's Brain Center has software devised for brain-afflicted victims but they've been restructured to enhance slow-normal brain functioning ... Okay, I admit, I think Franks needs brain enhancement. That will improve his entire life-experience, and especially improve ours. :confused:
Enhancement like what? Speed? ADHD meds like Joe Haden? How about the drug from that movie Limitless? Some military-grade, super soldier shyte?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Didn’t watch the video, but the only egregious bad read Franks made the whole game was the interception, and even that would have been six if he threw it on the money. Should have gone with the curl route to his left for the first down, but went for the home run and made a bad throw.

Franks made plenty of bad reads in that game. I think it was his worst game. The play you mention however was NOT a bad read. He read the play correctly and delivered the ball to the correct receiver, but the pass was way way late leading to a pick.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks made plenty of bad reads in that game. I think it was his worst game. The play you mention however was NOT a bad read. He read the play correctly and delivered the ball to the correct receiver, but the pass was way way late leading to a pick.
Here is where I do have a problem with DM. How many reads did Franks have to make? How many reads our OL?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Here is where I do have a problem with DM. How many reads did Franks have to make? How many reads our OL?

That is one thing I wonder about when this guys talks about read options. When I was first on the internet, I was on a college football listserve that included an old Oklahoma fan. He told me in their option days maybe up to 70% of the time they ran option action but the hand off, QB run or pitch was a called play. Mullen too may not be letting Franks make very many reads at all.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That is one thing I wonder about when this guys talks about read options. When I was first on the internet, I was on a college football listserve that included an old Oklahoma fan. He told me in their option days maybe up to 70% of the time they ran option action but the hand off, QB run or pitch was a called play. Mullen too may not be letting Franks make very many reads at all.
Hmmm...I was thinking people were saying Franks is making reads? I was seeing evidence on passes, which he has shown some evidence of going through progressions. My limited evidence I’d minimize Franks reads.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Enhancement like what? Speed? ADHD meds like Joe Haden? How about the drug from that movie Limitless? Some military-grade, super soldier shyte?

My post deals with the latest strongest science in restructuring the brain = non-drug, guided brain using itself to change itself. (Book: "The Brain That Changes Itself") Science, by studying how the brain grows itself = 1 into a concert pianist: 2 into a brilliant particle physicist: 3 into famous sculptor: etc It's happened all around us, all our lives, --(and before & after us.) You think those people #1,#2,#3 took drugs to acquire "enhanced" performing abilities in their fields. The frontiers of brain science advance faster than I can keep up with.

10-15 years ago a brain scientist-engineer invented and applied a tongue electrode that allowed any blind person to detect (see) the colors of any item he could hold his tongue against. His brain learned to train the sensory neurons in his taste-buds to sense the specific heat a color absorbs & so emits. So now that persons tongue neurons learned two functions now = detect flavors as well as detect ("see") colors. Did your brain need to take drugs to drop thinking like a child and start all the complex wired neural networks that adult thinking requires. That "seeing tongue" exploration seems silly to superficial observers but note that it is frontier work, involving understanding the brain's capabilities of creating new neurons self-designed for new purposes.

This "tongue" neuro-surgeon-engineer-scientist's first creation was the cochlear implant which requires the person's brain to retrain itself to match the artifi'cial electronic-sounds in which our sound "Henry" gets to him as "grockgree". Via the miracles of how the brain learns through natural biofeedback when they hear "grockgree" their complex hearing "module" actually recognizes - hears "Henry". That's a crude explanation but the scientific explanation takes 63 pages. The cochlear implant has given many grateful deaf people the blessing of hearing.

Science centers, without drugs are teaching stroke victims to regain digital dexterity. Google "mirror box" for stroke victims. You can make that with a 1' x 2' mirror and a cardboard box. So stroke victim has shriveled use of his left hand. He sticks both hands through 2 holes in the box, divided down the middle with the mirror reflecting his dexterous right hand. But that mirror reverses the image so he's looking back forth between his real right hand & its reflection that looks to him (= his brain) like it's his left hand ( btw, the left half of the box has top flap closed so his brain can't see his crippled left hand.). Now for learning he's given items to manipulate with good right hand but stares at the mirror where his brain "sees" his left hand doing the manipulations perfectly. Later, with his physical therapist, outside the box, he starts to swiftly regain proper use of his stroke hand, which is less contorted now. There's much more but this is already too much blah-blah. Sorry.

Contrary to the common media-messages, the bulk & most peer respected brain science sees drugs as destructive brain science i.e. hampers the neuro-genesis that rescues normality or advances natural enhancement.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Once again David Wunderlich did a good job breaking down the offensive woes of Florida’s offense. Except this time he points out how Franks is making the right read and doing what he’s supposed to do, but the right side of the offensive line doesn’t have a clue what it’s supposed to do over and over.

Excellent. I subscribed to that guy’s channel. Thanks!

Helpful to see these breakdowns of assignments & reads. It confirms what I’d been thinking: Johnson is too slow either reading his assignments or getting to them. Franks is late on reads and pressure kills that. Both of those need to improve for the Gators to make progress.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

I honestly don't know what game you guys are watching. Franks isn't having trouble with reads or progressions. Two catchable passes that were dropped including one for a TD. 3-4 times the line failed in pass protection. That's 8/15 that could have been 10/15 plus blown blocking. He's throwing the ball away and turning negatives into positives. As sad as it is he's looking the best of any QB we've had in a while which admittedly is a very low bar.

Morel Stevens needs to be benched. The aforementioned dropped TD. And he single handedly killed a drive with two bonehead plays.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Obviously our OL has problems as were nicely illustrated. I would have liked to see the same analysis of a play run well, say, one of the long runs.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

I honestly don't know what game you guys are watching. Franks isn't having trouble with reads or progressions. Two catchable passes that were dropped including one for a TD. 3-4 times the line failed in pass protection. That's 8/15 that could have been 10/15 plus blown blocking. He's throwing the ball away and turning negatives into positives. As sad as it is he's looking the best of any QB we've had in a while which admittedly is a very low bar.

Morel Stevens needs to be benched. The aforementioned dropped TD. And he single handedly killed a drive with two bonehead plays.

It's simple...the offense doesnt move the ball, Franks fault. A RB or WR doesn't catch the ball, Franks fault. Defense gives up 300+ on the ground, Franks fault. Anything and everything bad that happens, Franks fault.

Listen I dont think the guy is a great QB but he is taking steps forward and he looks better than he did. Not sure what people are expecting....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's simple...the offense doesnt move the ball, Franks fault. A RB or WR doesn't catch the ball, Franks fault. Defense gives up 300+ on the ground, Franks fault. Anything and everything bad that happens, Franks fault.

Listen I dont think the guy is a great QB but he is taking steps forward and he looks better than he did. Not sure what people are expecting....
Exactly. He's no world beater but actually looks like he's received coaching this year. Whether or not he can process that against SEC talent is another thing.
In comparison we didn't see any QB get better under the Sharkhumper's tutelage. I have to admit I didn't have the stomach to rewatch Ky and I tuned out in the 2nd half so I am going on a limited sample size.
He may have reached his ceiling already which is game manager. And we are going to see them install wrinkles as the season progresses. If the oline gets it's head out of it's ass we may have a shot a bowl practice. :facepalm:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Moral Stephens plays like dog shyt. That transfer should be playing. Stephens can’t block or catch.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Other than the safety baiting him and jumping the route, yeah it was the right read. Or you know, he could have hit the wide open receiver standing 15 yards away and kept the drive going. He was 0/6 in the first quarter with a dropped wide open screen by Scarlett that would have been a HUGE play and a perfect back shoulder TD pass dropped by Lewis. After that he was 8/9 with several dimes and a couple TDs. I know I shouldn't go down the endless Instigator rabbit hole, but I'm curious as to where the "plenty of bad reads" were.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know I shouldn't go down the endless Instigator rabbit hole, but I'm curious as to where the "plenty of bad reads" were.
Any QB who isn't 100% sucks.

I'm not sure what people expected with Franks this year. I guess they were imagining 2008 Tebow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb