Offensive line trouble - David Wunderlich Film Study (CSU vs UF)

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
RG SR Fred Johnson is the weak link. Not quick and making errors in other prior games. The OG back ups are Freshman Bleich and RS SO LG Heggie.

Can Heggie play RG? How is his injury recovery progressing? The freshman Bleich may make more errors but is very strong for his age.

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Those boys have had 3 different OL coaches and they're still ass! The only thing that will fix our OL problems is them not being on it anymore and an infusion of top tier talent. Most of our OL isn't SEC caliber but instead group of 5 caliber!
New top tier OL talent certainly is needed.

To be fair , the 3 coaches is not the player's fault and it does not help when you are taught different techniques and or systems.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RG SR Fred Johnson is the weak link. Not quick and making errors in other prior games. The OG back ups are Freshman Bleich and RS SO LG Heggie.

Can Heggie play RG? How is his injury recovery progressing? The freshman Bleich may make more errors but is very strong for his age.

Fred Johnson does seem confused a lot but at least he gives effort. Ivey dogs it constantly.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Any QB who isn't 100% sucks.

I'm not sure what people expected with Franks this year. I guess they were imagining 2008 Tebow.
Agree that Franks should not be proficient in a brand new system. He is better than last season but that is a low bar.

My issue with Franks is seeing the open WRs. Of what I have seen of Trask he seems to naturally see the field better in terms of passing. My guess is Franks is better at reading the running
game reads than Trask is. Injuries happen so we need all 3 of these QBs.

Last edited:

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Franks made plenty of bad reads in that game. I think it was his worst game. The play you mention however was NOT a bad read. He read the play correctly and delivered the ball to the correct receiver, but the pass was way way late leading to a pick.

Minus the first drives, I don’t think it was his worst game. Far from it. He actually progressed during the game and picked the right read. Remember, he’s not asked to read the entire field, only half. He’s making good reads, but many times he’s late to throw or the o-line fails to read the defense on the play. My take.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At some point, I'm going to assume we put McCoy back on the field and give Buchanon a ticket home.

I don't know how much we have to see of this.

Fred is terrible too but at least if he figures out who he is supposed to block he may be able to slow them down.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Agree that Franks should not be proficient in a brand new system.

My issue with Franks is seeing the open WRs. Of what I have seen of Trask he seems to naturally see the field better in terms of passing. My guess is Franks is better at reading the running
game reads than Trask is. Injuries happen so we need all 3 of these QBs.

When do you see Trask “see the field better in terms of passing”? Practice? Routes on air? He’s thrown 3 balls in his college career for 22 yards!

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
When do you see Trask “see the field better in terms of passing”? Practice? Routes on air? He’s thrown 3 balls in his college career for 22 yards!
Spring games. You can see that he reacts quicker than Franks when passing and has a quicker release which can help avoid sacks.

Mullen is smart to only give Trask running plays in mop up duty. If Trask succeeds passing then it could fuel the fire of people calling for the insertion of Trask.

Hopefully Franks gets better at seeing the open WRS quickly. He seems to get it in the running game.

Last edited:

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Spring games. You can see that he reacts quicker than Franks passing and has a quicker release. Mullen is smart to only give Trask running plays in mop up duty. If Trask succeeds passing then it could fuel the fire of people calling for the insertion of Trask.

Well, that’s because he was playing against our defense! Haha

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, that’s because he was playing against our defense! Haha
He was under 50%, going largely against walkons. And hit the defense between the numbers twice in twenty some passes.

Zero tds. Zero yards rushing.

That is the real world.

Last edited:

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
He was under 50%, going largely against walkons. And hit the defense between the numbers twice in twenty some passes.

That is the real world.

Franks has a 53% completion rate now. I’m not a Franks fan, but I do see him improving. I have to believe that Trask doesn’t have some of the tangibles or possibly even the intangibles or DM would have him in there at the first big mistake.

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
At some point, I'm going to assume we put McCoy back on the field and give Buchanon a ticket home.

I don't know how much we have to see of this.

Fred is terrible too but at least if he figures out who he is supposed to block he may be able to slow them down.

Not ready to give up on Buchanon. Seen him struggle for sure but, also seen progression. He needs another season of S&C, certainly.
But I’ve seen a few things I like. Going to watch him very close this Saturday to see if he takes another step forward.

Don’t think Tony’s kid did horrible. Just a low ceiling.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Lol, Franks is better but slow. When limiting his choices we also help the OL and others. Quicker plays with less reads. FF is consistently late and short and likes to keep the ball. Manage him and he can manage the game

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015

That is the real world.

Was wondering where to put this and this seems like a good juncture.

Was watching the Boise-Okie St game and saw a very Trask-ish stat: the Okie St QB was starting his first game in 1,735 days. His last start was 2013 in high school.

Trask says, Hold my beer...

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Morel Stevens needs to be benched. The aforementioned dropped TD. And he single handedly killed a drive with two bonehead plays.

I got agitated with him on one series where he flat out refused to block a guy on successive plays (and he was in position to make the block both times) and killed the drive.

Made me wonder where Raymond was. Did he play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.