***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs Cincinnati

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
jboss has admitted it is an online persona, not how he really is. And while I agree his singling you out has been over the top, you do have the option of engaging the ignore function. Might be worth it in this case.

... So TLB is showing you that the ignore button allows you to OWN AND DESTROY jboss.

we do not have any back to basket offensive presence, although we do have the size for that, it is just not Hayes game. And Egbunu has never been good at that b/c he is a little slow getting into his offensive moves.
... 1) back to basket offense that every team that's beat us has had ... as unstoppable.
....2) any teams tall inside guys should have a big-size coach to pound in their specialized training inside.
....3) during a time-out 'huddle' I noticed a coach in suit & tie who looked at least 2 inches taller than Hayes? That guy should be teaching our 'insides' steadfast footholds, butt-out stances for keeping opposing bigs at bay, never bringing the ball downward 'neath the basket- immediately go up for put-backs to make their big stars foul. None of those opposing, agressive 'bigs' have been put anywhere near foul trouble in any games where they were agressively scoring at will, grabbing rebounds at will.?? Doesn't take gifted athleticism to block out, collapse with double-team help at boxing them in ??
....4) I see our two outside guys passing back-forth, no play setup progress due to our other 3 standing 'round in a stupor - jet across, weave calling for the ball, even if just to give their D-players something to stumble over.
... 5) Hudson, Egor, K.Allen if squared up can hit enough % 3s, but moreso drive to shoot or draw fouls from opposing late reacting bigs.
...6) Maybe this is being done? Film-study should include Hayes, Stone, Gak, Johnson watching a one-play strip where they let opposing big out-position them. Immediately show them a "spliced-in" bit where the inside defender slips inside his opponent and "big-butts" him into poor position. Have our big close his eyes and visualize and feel how he can do that. (Heck, UF Med School gives seminars on hypnosis, visualization effectiveness. Put it to emperical use, even keeping clinical results.)
...7) Of course, I'm assuming Cincinnati is not a Sweet-16 team. So we've got to make big improvement strides between now and March.

One thing that griped me watching last night's game. Watching on my smaller screen TV, it pissed me ofwhen ESPN split it in half, showing the gameplay on halfscreen and Cincy's HC pacing the sidecourt, shouting all kinds of directives to his players. Never saw them show White doing that ... oh that's right, there are no shots of White doing that 'cause he's busy not doing that?

While I'm ranting: I want Trump to deport all those religiously fanatic health nuts -- especially the Macadamians. For those wondering, my religious orientation was first Methodistant, then Presbyterian,
and now I'm Frisbeeterian: we believe in reincarnation, just not in coming all the way back.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Because message boards were created to have an outlet to complain and vent (with some discussions thrown in lol). When teams beat the opponents they should and in the manner they should be beating them during a long season there is little to complain or vent about.

I disagree. Message boards were created to have discussions about anything and everything, positive or negative. I get that people WANT to vent. However, people SHOULD celebrate, too.

If we’re going to make GCMB a piss & moan session only (and no, I don’t believe that’s what the majority here want), then I’m outta here.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Answer me this if anyone can. Why do some posters seemingly only show up when we lose?? When we win, we don't hear from them. Hmmm, why is that?? ONLY when called out they show up cause they have to cause they have been Owned and Destroyed perhaps. GatorBait!! Go Gators!!
Same reason you only show up when we win and disappear when we lose.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Same reason you only show up when we win and disappear when we lose.
who wants to pizzz and moan about losing? I hate losing. The pay Mike well to fix it. I go and be productive when it is painful.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I disagree. Message boards were created to have discussions about anything and everything, positive or negative. I get that people WANT to vent. However, people SHOULD celebrate, too.

If we’re going to make GCMB a piss & moan session only (and no, I don’t believe that’s what the majority here want), then I’m outta here.

I don't think anyone here wants to only piss and moan. There is a wide range of posters which makes this the best board out there

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
On the first part of you post, I wonder to what extent we as a fan base were beaten down by Kasey Hill driving to the basket and throwing up a hopeless shot the last 3 years. So last year we were never surprised by bad half court offense, but this year we are?

As far as no calls go, there was also that great fast break pass to Koulechov who was bodied and knocked down on the ensuing layup that they did not call. They showed the replay so many times and never once commented on that missed call. That is just the way it goes, when you win you move on, when you lose you worry about calls.
Consistency has always been a factor in officiating and regardless of how it is decided to review and correct, it'll always impact the game to an extent (the reviews sure can kill the flow sometimes). As for Kasey, who was often out of control, he was a good penetrator, but wasn't a very consistent finisher. I also think he would have been better remembered if he could shoot free throws. Chiozza can get a little sloppy on his penetrations as well.

Where I really hope this team can get to is understanding that there will stretches in games where the O isn't working and relying on the long outside shots, this can be prone to happen pretty frequently regardless of the defensive prowess of the opponent. What we need to do on D, however, should never change in terms of hustle, toughness, communication, and consistently carrying out assignments. This is a "want to" factor that is not yet adequately developed with this bunch. The fact that we don't press very often (if at all) makes me think Coach can't trust them to carry out this action with the appropriate toughness and hustle required. His focus must be to get the basic defenses up to speed, so to speak. One step at a time has to be the current mantra.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that we don't press very often (if at all) makes me think Coach can't trust them to carry out this action with the appropriate toughness and hustle required. His focus must be to get the basic defenses up to speed, so to speak. One step at a time has to be the current mantra.

Coach white learned very quick that you can't make a living of the press when your playing with the big boys. Took Billy a few years to pick that up himself.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach white learned very quick that you can't make a living of the press when your playing with the big boys. Took Billy a few years to pick that up himself.
Don't disagree, but I think you need it from time to time to keep the opposition off-balance, speed 'em up, etc. The fact that we don't employ it at all tells me something about what is yet to be learned by this team in terms of the intensity required to play effectively at a high level of college basketball.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Don't disagree, but I think you need it from time to time to keep the opposition off-balance, speed 'em up, etc. The fact that we don't employ it at all tells me something about what is yet to be learned by this team in terms of the intensity required to play effectively at a high level of college basketball.

Yeah i agree. You can use it some but can't make a living at it. I was suprised we turned it off against loyola. It was working, they had just lost their point guard and werent handling our pressure at all and we never went back to it. It was definitely a head scratcher.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Exactly and I think I remember this team doing so under this coach. After all they are a relatively short term group as a team. They need to see some tape from other Gator teams of the past, or a visit from Noah and company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator