***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs LSU

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
They go to a 1-3-1 zone and we have 2 turnovers out of 2 possesions....

Just got home from the game and those 2 possessions were just laughable. Both times they made plays that anyone who has ever been coached against a 1-3-1 half court trap would never make.

With all that, it was good to win a game where we did not make a ton of 3's or shoot a zillion of them. At times we had some player movement and from that actually came some layups b/c guys would cut to the basket or towards the basket when there was dribble penetration. Just b/c you don;t have size does not mean you can't score at or near the rim and some of those plays should help them realize that. I happen to be sitting next to a guy in the 1st half who kept screaming 'MOVE" when we had the ball. I laughed and told him I thought I was the only one who talked about that every game, as we consistently watched 3 guys standing still on offense the entire 1st half. He said he gets so frustrated watching our lack of movement on offense.

Anyway, Okauru played well and showed a willingness to go to the rim. I saw a few shot fakes tonite. Still too many stagnant moments on offense and quick, poor shots, but there was some movement tonite.
It was a must win against a below average team, but I think we must play better this Saturday if we expect a W.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
What I didn't like? I can't say. I think it was something in the first 10min of the second half that I skipped and we built a short lead but LSU came back on us. Something in there must not have been right.
Unless it's a wire-to-wire blowout, basketball is usually a game of runs. When the run is going your way, shots fall, assists mount, your team looks like GlobeTrotters. When the run is going the other way, you look like the Bad News Bears. Why is this so hard for people to get? It's not a lack of talent or character or coaching that causes the runs. Like with TacoBell, the runs are part of the game.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Unless it's a wire-to-wire blowout, basketball is usually a game of runs. When the run is going your way, shots fall, assists mount, your team looks like GlobeTrotters. When the run is going the other way, you look like the Bad News Bears. Why is this so hard for people to get? It's not a lack of talent or character or coaching that causes the runs. Like with TacoBell, the runs are part of the game.

This is true, but good to great teams do something about such. They play great defense to restrict runs made by the other team. They are capable of responding with their own offense to respond as well. And when they have a team with lesser talent they put their foot on them early and prevent any runs from bothering them. Our teams have had issues doing these things in many years and with two different coaches. I don't know enough to speculate of the reasons or solutions.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

I think anyone who watched a season or more of the sport understands it is a game of runs. I'm in that group, so I understand. However, akin to what Chief was saying - there are factors in the runs, and if recognized they can be countered or limited. Is it because we go to a zone defense when we should be man-to-man, is it that one of their players gets hot and we need to switch who is defending him, is one of our players injured or simply taking a breather and the other team is exploiting it.

I was asking what caused the run, and were we doing anything to counter it. We've criticized Mike White a lot this season for not taking time outs to stop runs...I didn't get to see our run to start the half (what did we start doing right, or them wrong?) nor did I see what caused their run. That's what I was after.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Much needed win. The march to March. Let's Go Gators!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Good team effort and win. Everyone contributed and communication was better.

Hudson seems like he may be taking up the challenge to become the aggressive vocal leaded White is looking for. I liked how he shut down Hayes who was taunting after a dunk before it could lead to a tech.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great effort by our guys and we hit some key shots down the stretch and also had some tough D to get some steals and rebounds at the end to seal the game. White talked about how he wanted some tough D by Chiozza on LSU's star PG who had 27 points and 11 assists his last game out. Cheese held him to 3/15 shooting with 9 points and 7 TURNOVERS. White said HIS game plan was to limit LSU's PG and that is EXACTLY what they did. Cheese didn't have a good game offensively but he turned up his D. Cheese did have 6 assists and 6 rebounds and 3 steals. Hudson had 18 points and 9 rebounds. Stone with 15 points and Egor with 12. Gotta win ANYWAY you can during a slump and that is what we did. Go Gators!!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Love Stone's progression this season. I'm excited for what he brings next year that opponents will have to adjust for.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Overdue win ... improves our march to March. Still, will it be that temporary "sumwhat-luck win" that we too often pull off? More contributors this game; thank goodness for Keith Stone ... and freshman Okauru came through well. These are individual athletic talents that all along could be brought out (have to be brought out) by "big-picture" season-long coaching. That's the kind of coaching top 15 teams must have = all year long progressing. That's the "payoff" that keeps the team in elimination tournaments. Elim-tourneys are coming soon to a court near you.

Our 2007-2008 repeat 'natty' team was not by "casual coaching accident". Remember how Richard progressed from just a clumsy-dud spare "foul-giver" to a well rounded performer in crucial games; through the year, Donovan practiced-developed Richard's athletic 'will' to assert & insert. ... Thus, to be a Top-10 team, we need Top-10 "coach-think"?... and we need it all season long. White's methods and determination need to be honed, to be relentless at "seeing & insisting" - all applied to athlete after athlete, practice session after session. Our lack of team-players' body movement, our '"without-a-plan" 'unhoned' slow ball passing, well that's failing to lead to advantageous scoring, and it's just not being developed, it's non-existent --- Such 'stuff' would enhance inside scoring and foul-getting, enhance a team rhythm confidence that goes unnoticed 'cause it seems so natural. There it is = coaching makes the hard stuff come naturally by relentless rehearsals, rehearsed. So, White worries me.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Just got home from the game and those 2 possessions were just laughable. Both times they made plays that anyone who has ever been coached against a 1-3-1 half court trap would never make.

With all that, it was good to win a game where we did not make a ton of 3's or shoot a zillion of them. At times we had some player movement and from that actually came some layups b/c guys would cut to the basket or towards the basket when there was dribble penetration. Just b/c you don;t have size does not mean you can't score at or near the rim and some of those plays should help them realize that. I happen to be sitting next to a guy in the 1st half who kept screaming 'MOVE" when we had the ball. I laughed and told him I thought I was the only one who talked about that every game, as we consistently watched 3 guys standing still on offense the entire 1st half. He said he gets so frustrated watching our lack of movement on offense.

Anyway, Okauru played well and showed a willingness to go to the rim. I saw a few shot fakes tonite. Still too many stagnant moments on offense and quick, poor shots, but there was some movement tonite.
It was a must win against a below average team, but I think we must play better this Saturday if we expect a W.
FF WTF is this all about? Have you been hiding something from us?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
White has stated many times that we barely have enough players to even practice with all the injuries and sickness moving its way through the team.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
FF WTF is this all about? Have you been hiding something from us?

I have no idea what the FVKK that is and I did not see it. I do not pay any attention to that HorseShyt during timeouts as I am busy thinking about what Mike should be telling his team and I go out at halftime. Guess the fans care more about being some dance team as opposed to understanding the game of basketball.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I have no idea what the FVKK that is and I did not see it. I do not pay any attention to that HorseShyt during timeouts as I am busy thinking about what Mike should be telling his team and I go out at halftime. Guess the fans care more about being some dance team as opposed to understanding the game of basketball.
i will you a pass........you sound convincing.............Many years ago at half time Willie the guy that swept the court at halftime would start dancing to the pep band in old alligator alley. When we moved to the Odome he continued for a few more years........VERY Popular guy

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Okay, BuzzKillingTon.

If we want to win like Duke and Kansas, then our student sections should bust out all the Crazy Dance Moves as necessary. Don't mean diddily squat how many fans know the game of basketball. You're the atmosphere not the dang assistant coach.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Okay, BuzzKillingTon.

If we want to win like Duke and Kansas, then our student sections should bust out all the Crazy Dance Moves as necessary. Don't mean diddily squat how many fans know the game of basketball. You're the atmosphere not the dang assistant coach.
:burn: That Sam I am that Sam I am I think FF and I just got slammed............daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmnnnnnnnn

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.