***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs New Hampshire

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The team was obviously excited about Chip. Had there minds elsewhere. But good that they found a way to win. Early tests are never a bad thing.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Texas is one of the top teams, aren't they, Fever? Bet Texas would have lost had they missed the # of shots we did tonight. the worry is: how often will we have games like this?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Just got back from game. I also went to the GW game last week so I will use that for a little comparison. This game was a case where the better overall team won the game but the team that played better tonite did not win. Have to hand it to UNH. Physically, I don;t think they were any more athletic than GW. However to even an untrained eye, UNH was very well coached tonite and I was impressed with 2 things in particular. They are excellent at understanding post play of the offensive end, even with size disadvantages, etc, UNH players understand body position, leverage, patience, etc. Secondly, UNH did a great job of spacing the floor and also creating great angles for their double teamed players to make a somewhat easy pass for a guy to step into a good shot. Kudos to them. Will be interested to see if they can play with the same intelligence within their league.

As for UF, offensively this was somewhere between awful and a wreck. Forget the stats, the shot selection almost the entire game was simply putrid. I mostly saw one on one play, dribble mulitiple times and try and get your own shot. There was some screens to help occasionally, but way way way to much one on one dribble and shoot. And if it was not try to create my own shot, and it was one pass and shoot. Against GW, I even commented how UF went to a 5 high to start offense, mixing in the old UCLA shuffle cut principles with some Princeton and Peter Carrill passing game and cuts. but there was none of that tonite. Just way too much dribbling that often led to an off balanced shot. I would be interested in watching a replay and counting how many shots were created by 3 or more dribbles and how many came from a cut or pass. I mean often times it takes a dribble or two to get on balance, but there is a clear difference of dribbling to create your own shot, and taking a dribble or two for balance or an angle.

I am not overly concerned b/c it is just one game, but it was way too many poor shots and many of those shots will look even worse against a stronger opponent. Just would have liked to see a little more team ball. Just seemed like whoever touched the ball first in the halfcourt was thinking I have to shoot. The offensive flow was non existent this evening.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Texas is one of the top teams, aren't they, Fever? Bet Texas would have lost had they missed the # of shots we did tonight. the worry is: how often will we have games like this?

Just out of the top 25 but they have won their games so far pretty easily.

SC Gator

Sorta Kinda
Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hard game to get up for. Students out of town, they are going to Portland in a couple of days. Had some bad shots and bad game but still won.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good test for our team. We weren't making shots but we found a way to WIN the game. NH an experienced team that has won 20 games each of the last couple of seasons. Good to see Hudson score a bunch. We can win with different guys and different ways. Go Gators!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe they sfarted believing in magic i.e. just put the shot up & it will go in?
Did we have any slam dunks? Inside play was dull or dulled. Our big-men can't allow that. That "whole-team" concept was not there tonight. So good 1st 2 games that it made tonight horrid by unfair comparison.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't get to watch, but the stat line is ugly. Yeesh. Glad we had a little bit of a wakeup call after waltzing through the first two games. Should make our guys hungry going into Portland.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe White being miked-up jinxed us. I'm agin that anyway.
A coach should feel free to communicate in anger & passion without self-consciousness of outsiders hearing, possibly interpreting or criticizing.

Anyway, we had a brainless game. Defensive assurity & intensity was lacking. Hayes can be a mighty good shot blocker, Gak too. Some coach needs to hone them on positioning to block out and to position for rebounds. Watching films of the 100+ games contrasted to this one should be teachable sessions. (I was wondering if our FB S&C coach was a guest coach these past few days?)

Big stage coming next week, with strange crowd. Maybe the rest-stretch will rejuvenate us. Gonna be exciting and nerve-wracking to watch PK80.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
My view of this game is UF just did not hit shots. If you don't hit shots:

1. You don't get assists, because you only get assists if the guy you pass the ball to makes the shot.

2. Your back door and other cuts are much less effective, your defender can take a step off you and help cover up the cutter.

3. You can't set up your press.

As for some individual players:

Hudson saved the day for UF. I am particularly impressed that he had seven rebounds and only one turnover to go with his scoring.

Chiozza had a nice efficient game, shot well from the floor, had 6 rebounds and one turnover.

Koulechov did not shoot well, but had 10 rebounds again.

Hayes keeps blocking shots, but I am not sure that is always good defense as often the block can lead to a second shot.

Overall I think it is ok for UF to have such a game before the PK80 games against other power conferences.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glad for the difficult win tonight. We need games like this to test ourselves mentally. Can't count on raining down threes every night.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Just one of those games :dunno:

Hard time believing we shoot like that many times this year. But when we do, we need to feed our big men down low and work off them. Still, I’ll take 3-0

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good to grind out a win with a very off night shooting the ball. Hopefully this a wake up call and gets them focused for the real games that we are about to play.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Maybe it was tired legs, Lee. That can effect all shots, all quickness, all rebounds, even creates timing fouls. IDK. Just have to look forward to the wisdom of White and the maturity leadership of Egor. I'd love to see Gak & Hayes to become a dominant duo, in at the same time.
IMO, Chase Johnson can become a freshman force, reliable. Our other freshmen are "ahead of schedule" in skills. Guess we need more time for our "rookies" to gel. Go Gators.

If they are tired now what will happen when you have to travel across the country and play top competition in a short period of time.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
For many years, due to shared scoring, we've gone with a 20+ scorer being a rarity. Now in 2 of 3 games we've had Egor with 34 and Jalen with 26. Like that. But K.Allen, last year's scoring leader is not making his shots. Why is that do you think?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For many years, due to shared scoring, we've gone with a 20+ scorer being a rarity. Now in 2 of 3 games we've had Egor with 34 and Jalen with 26. Like that. But K.Allen, last year's scoring leader is not making his shots. Why is that do you think?

I think he is just cold right now - remember he couldn't hit anything our first 2 tournament games and then scored 35 against Wisconsin in the next game.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
There was some screens to help occasionally, but way way way to much one on one dribble and shoot. And if it was not try to create my own shot, and it was one pass and shoot

Haven't watched yet, but recorded and will watch with my son tonight or tomorrow. As such I can make no observations or statements about UNH. However, if UF was playing uncharacteristically, with less passing and more one-on-one play, is it conceivable White viewed this as an easy win, one he could throw away as a lesson - let the kids try the 'Me Ball' instead of team play and see how much harder it is to win? That may also explain why he's laughing at halftime. I just can't see him intentionally letting them NOT play team ball, he's too intense to let that slide.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Hayes keeps blocking shots, but I am not sure that is always good defense as often the block can lead to a second shot.

The block is always better. If you don't block, but hope for a rebound you have given the initial shot a chance to score AND are taking your chances that you get the rebound. Which, if you don't get the rebound, you're in the same boat as a blocked shot that the other team recovers. At least with the block, you KNOW the first shot isn't going in. In either case, you have to play good defense on a second shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.