***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Mike White sucks again

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well we still need a couple more wins to get in. Hopefully we get them.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Wow, brutal thread. Glad I spent some QUALITY TIME WITH MY WIFE OF 8 MONTHS ON VALENTINE'S DAY. Meaning I didn't watch the game. And glad I didn't.
From the content here White really needs some guidance. I'd rather he play the guys who are capable of pushing the pace and spell them with the ones who get lost on the court for 10 minutes.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Mike White is an imbecile. You foul when up 3. Every. Single. Time.

On this topic alone, I realize there are 2 schools of thought: Play it out and "D" up or commit a common foul and send them to the line. I have and always will be a foul and send them to the line guy, regardless of the result. I am not sure what Mike's philosophy is but to me you are either one or the other. To me 4 or more things have to occur perfectly for a team to tie if you foul them and send them to the line. If you play it out, then only 1 thing has to happen (which it did) and that is make a 3 pt. shot. So in that case I agree, foul every time. And most importantly, practice it for a few minutes every day, the concept and teaching of fouling CORRECTLY. When to foul, how to foul and not when a player could appear to be shooting.

Outside of the above, I can also address the out of bounds play prior in which Hudson traveled. The first attempt which resulted in a Cheez timeout involved Egor and Allen just running from midcourt trying to get open. Yes they are 2 good FT shooters, but neither, is fast, quick or shifty and all they do is run straight forward trying to get open. After the timeout, similar play with Hudson running forward full spaeed, and trying to stop on a dime after the catch. Hard to do and you saw what could happen. I understand wanting Cheez throwing it in b/c he is a good passer, but in this case I want my shiftiest player trying to get open. In either case there was no plan or play. It looked like what you do in a sandlot football game when you huddle up and say: "OK here is the play. Get Open. Ready.Break". why not a 2 by 2 box set with some cross screening and moving guys to open the floor. A 2 by 2 stack? A four vertical or horizontal line with specific assignment for each guy? Nope. Just get open. How about having Cheez pass it horizontally to another guy who established himself on the baseline out of bounds, then Cheez steps in to get open? Just a few thoughts and probably a few more thoughts than occurred in our huddle!

Beyond those 2 simple game occurences, the overall game last nite was a matchup or 2 below average teams at this point!. maybe they will both get better, but UGA is not good. It took them an entire half to realize they have to throw it into the low post on every single possession. And our problems are still the same. Watching Allen have to play lead guard when Cheez sits is just painful. Trying to throw 30 foot passess through 5 players is just silly and watching him pick up his dribble consistently after crossing half court without a pass or plan is mind is baffling. Yes the team has flaws, but twice during timeouts and I was in the men's room, Bill Koss said on the radio that Mike was saying there was no movement on offense. Hello McFly. It has taken Mike 80 games as coach here to see what we talk about twice a week.

It was an awful loss to an awful team. In critical coaching moments at the end of regulation, Mike failed miserably. These are the innate things I talk about in managing games of all sports. There is a lot to coaching at this level, I understand that, but be it football or basketball, when the game is actually going on, coaching, seeing what is happening and managing the situations is really not that difficult.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Boss needs to own and destroy this thread.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Not sure what the hell White is thinking going slow down mode with smaller lineups so much.

We are now down to # 54 in RPI as these home losses to mediocre teams are killing us. We won't get in without 20 wins I think (the 20th win can be an SEC tournament game I think however)

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately White is not going anywhere this year. He’ll be given another year to put it together. I think next year squad will play relatively better because they will have an nside presence. But will ultimately crash because he routinely gets outcoached.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Another disappointing loss. No NCAA and I think you fire him and go in another direction. One NCAA in 8 or 9 years? That's the norm not the other way around.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We would be a different team with Eggy down low rebounding and blocking shots. Just not his/our year....

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Boss needs to own and destroy this thread.

JBoss is annoying at (most) times and the whole ALL CAPS thing makes me think we’re back on AOL instant messenger.

That said, he’s right about (just) one thing .... there is more participation on these basketball threads when we lose.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody has identified the massive issues with coaching, game planning, and strategy so I will go back to my same old, tired, complaint about how White doesn't manage officiating.

Yes, we made enough mistakes to lose the game.
Yes, White's coaching results in a lot of head scratching
Yes, we have roster holes especially in the front court

I believe there is a bigger issue that is much easier to solve......
Anybody, and I mean anybody, that watched that game has acknowledged that the officiating was off the charts bad but White continued with his Athletic Director demeanor while his team is getting screwed. I wondered what Greg Stankey (Sankey) was thinking while he was watching that abomination

Several times during the game the players looked at the bench expecting their coach to stand up for them but the AD in training was sitting on the bench staring at the piece of paper in his hand. Late in the game when the UGA guy possessed the ball (and stepped out of bounds), yet the refs still called a shot clock violation on us, even the SEC announcers wondered why he wasn't saying anything.
This call allowed UGA to score the tying basket in regulation.

Please don't give me the BS line about how yelling at refs doesn't change anything, I know from 36 years downfront, that it almost ALWAYS works, it is simple human nature. You don't have to be a raving lunatic like Pearl, just simply stand up for your team.

Not sure how much longer I can watch a coach that clearly doesn't understand how to manage refs and apparently doesn't want to defend his players. Maybe his dad can get him a job as an Associate AD somewhere.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately White is not going anywhere this year. He’ll be given another year to put it together. I think next year squad will play relatively better because they will have an nside presence. But will ultimately crash because he routinely gets outcoached.

What inside presence? Stokes, Gak? I think Stokes is like 6'8. I know he is big, but he is still going to have issues. Gak hasn't shown the ability to be a full inside presence.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I remember Billy D having so much frustration with a team that he literally locked them out of the locker room, training facilities and didn't allow them to wear Gator bball gear.

Billy fought through problems also. White is facing some of the same issues and we don't know if he can fix them.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I only watched the last 5 minutes of regulation because that's all I got recorded on my DVR.

It was a pretty bad collapse, however if either or Cheese's layups fall in or the put-back dunk actually made it through the hoop rather than ending up being a violation for hanging on the rim, the game was over. Then the BS call for traveling against Hudson rather than giving the instant foul which is what it actually was, gave the Ball-lickers a chance to get to OT that they didn't deserve.

Basically you can blame White for not being aggressive enough but it also took a series of bad luck to get this loss. The lesson is you can't let an inferior opponent hang around because all it takes is a little bad luck and a bad call to screw you, exactly happened in this game.

Almost forgot about the complete bullcrap shot-clock violation call. So basically a couple of unfriendly bounces and 2 terrible bad calls oddly gift-wrapped for the underdog road opponent took away a win.

I'm starting to think White might be snake-bit because in a lot of these losses it's a little of "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" in the final minutes.

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Everybody has identified the massive issues with coaching, game planning, and strategy so I will go back to my same old, tired, complaint about how White doesn't manage officiating.

Yes, we made enough mistakes to lose the game.
Yes, White's coaching results in a lot of head scratching
Yes, we have roster holes especially in the front court

I believe there is a bigger issue that is much easier to solve......
Anybody, and I mean anybody, that watched that game has acknowledged that the officiating was off the charts bad but White continued with his Athletic Director demeanor while his team is getting screwed. I wondered what Greg Stankey (Sankey) was thinking while he was watching that abomination

Several times during the game the players looked at the bench expecting their coach to stand up for them but the AD in training was sitting on the bench staring at the piece of paper in his hand. Late in the game when the UGA guy possessed the ball (and stepped out of bounds), yet the refs still called a shot clock violation on us, even the SEC announcers wondered why he wasn't saying anything.
This call allowed UGA to score the tying basket in regulation.

Please don't give me the BS line about how yelling at refs doesn't change anything, I know from 36 years downfront, that it almost ALWAYS works, it is simple human nature. You don't have to be a raving lunatic like Pearl, just simply stand up for your team.

Not sure how much longer I can watch a coach that clearly doesn't understand how to manage refs and apparently doesn't want to defend his players. Maybe his dad can get him a job as an Associate AD somewhere.
The great coaches have learned to get in the refs ears, and do so without getting a T. It really can and does change the game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Next years squad is gonna be way worse. We lose chiozza ,Hudson and egor. We don't have any new bigs coming in next year. Next year will be a very ugly year for us. I like white and he's got some decent recruits coming in but we better make the tourney this year because we damn sure won't next year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Next years squad is gonna be way worse. We lose chiozza ,Hudson and egor. We don't have any new bigs coming in next year. Next year will be a very ugly year for us. I like white and he's got some decent recruits coming in but we better make the tourney this year because we damn sure won't next year.

I remember when we thought the 06 team was going to be horrible because we lost Lee, Walsh and Roberson.

I actually think some of the young guys may really make a difference. Stone will be back, Okaru has shown promise, Bassett is starting to play better and another year in the program getting stronger will really help. Add in getting Stokes and Johnson healthy and this could be a completely different looking team. Another thing is that White has made it seem like Gak has been playing hurt all year... getting him healthy and stronger for another year could make a big difference.

We need the team to have a tougher mentality, especially on the defensive end. Egor and Hudson don't seem overly interested in playing really hard defense and I think that transfers to the whole team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.