***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Mike White sucks again

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What inside presence? Stokes, Gak? I think Stokes is like 6'8. I know he is big, but he is still going to have issues. Gak hasn't shown the ability to be a full inside presence.

Of the hope that Egbunu will be back. Though the prevailing thought is he will not get an additional year of eligibility.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Of the hope that Egbunu will be back. Though the prevailing thought is he will not get an additional year of eligibility.

OK... yeah.. I think it is unlikely he will be back. Which is a shame.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I don't think in this day and time coaches care about rivals or conference championships. I think White plays a half court game in the second half to get ready for NCAA tournament play instead of keeping the game up tempo. It's a sad state of affairs when no one knows or cares about who is a conference champion. Unfortunately football is heading the same direction.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think in this day and time coaches care about rivals or conference championships. I think White plays a half court game in the second half to get ready for NCAA tournament play instead of keeping the game up tempo. It's a sad state of affairs when no one knows or cares about who is a conference champion. Unfortunately football is heading the same direction.

He needs to make sure we make the NCAA Tourney before trying to prepare for it... plus, there has to be some understanding that this team wins with fast pace. Embrace it and figure out how to make your opponent play your way.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Does he want one? Or better yet did he ever want to come back to play this year? I know the announcers from one of the recent games on ESPN talked about their interaction with the coaches and players when they were preparing to call the game. Unlike the SECN guys, the national guys don't know the teams that well so they go to practice/shoot around to get to know the players, coaches etc and they sort of matter-of-factly said something about it being up to Eggy as to whether he returns this year making it sound like medically he was cleared so now it was his call. I was surprised when they said it but it was just in passing and they didn't elaborate at all. It seems to me he may have decided he isn't willing to risk another injury to play for free after seeing how quickly it can go south with an injury.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wasn’t able to see the game. Looking at the minutes played, did White go midget ball again with Stone at center? Gak only played 7 minutes after his best game of the year.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
We would be a different team with Eggy down low rebounding and blocking shots. Just not his/our year....

Did you ever watch Egbunu play for UF. He is an ok rebounder, not a great one. He is a better position defender in the post which UF could use, not a shot blocker. Any time UF loses, the myth of Egbunu grows and grows.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
He needs to make sure we make the NCAA Tourney before trying to prepare for it... plus, there has to be some understanding that this team wins with fast pace. Embrace it and figure out how to make your opponent play your way.
That is perplexing to me. Foley brought in White because he ran an uptempo, fast paced style. We really haven't seen that consistently in the 3 years he has been here.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That is perplexing to me. Foley brought in White because he ran an uptempo, fast paced style. We really haven't seen that consistently in the 3 years he has been here.

I think Fooley brought in White b/c he "heard" that he ran a style that he thought would be appreciated by the fans. Well as history had already shown, Fooley did not really do a very thorough search or his homework when seeking replacements for the major men's sports. I doubt Fooley had even heard of him and just had some intern bring him records of teams for the past 5 years from second tier and lower conferences!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Did you ever watch Egbunu play for UF. He is an ok rebounder, not a great one. He is a better position defender in the post which UF could use, not a shot blocker. Any time UF loses, the myth of Egbunu grows and grows.

Exactly!!!! Not to mention not exactly a great low post scorer and one of the worst post passers I have seen in a long time out of the post. If he had just concentrated on becoming a great defender and a rebounder, I think his chances to play in the NBA would have been very good. Injury or not, I see him playing overseas.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Unfortunately White is not going anywhere this year. He’ll be given another year to put it together. I think next year squad will play relatively better because they will have an nside presence. But will ultimately crash because he routinely gets outcoached.

I was very disappointed but I almost disliked your first sentence. Just who would come that would be better especially considering the short bench that he has. I heard that they don't even have enough players to practice. I thought Barry was still in school, seems like he could provide a body for practice and some leadership.

Now how did the coach create the two moving screens? Get the idiot officials to allow their center to mug people late in the game.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I remember when we thought the 06 team was going to be horrible because we lost Lee, Walsh and Roberson.

I actually think some of the young guys may really make a difference. Stone will be back, Okaru has shown promise, Bassett is starting to play better and another year in the program getting stronger will really help. Add in getting Stokes and Johnson healthy and this could be a completely different looking team. Another thing is that White has made it seem like Gak has been playing hurt all year... getting him healthy and stronger for another year could make a big difference.

We need the team to have a tougher mentality, especially on the defensive end. Egor and Hudson don't seem overly interested in playing really hard defense and I think that transfers to the whole team.

Gak needs some fancy knee surgery, he can't play that much. We don't have a center who can play.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

White did have a pretty good scoring offense in a mid-major conference where you can get away with going small. Maybe, just MAYBE he will learn that is tougher in the high majors.

However, the reason Foley brought in White is that he is the son of that most honored, highly esteemed, saintly member of society, the Athletic Director. In a UAA that think it is all about them not that crazy Spurrier or that bum Meyer etc, they don't think it matters who they hire as coach so much as they, the UAA, makes the program successful. So of course the son (and brother for that matter) of an AD is just the kind of hire they would want.

Given that, maybe White is on the kind of learning curve like Donovan that this will work out nicely. On the other hand his team could not hold a 6 point lead for 25 second.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Wasn’t able to see the game. Looking at the minutes played, did White go midget ball again with Stone at center? Gak only played 7 minutes after his best game of the year.

A typical White game after he figure out he could not play 4 guards and a 3 in Stone has been to play his bigger guys, 6'8"+, 59 minutes. So that is 59 minutes out of 80 for two complete positions or 73.75% of the minutes.

Last night was an OT game and the bigger guys played 66 minutes. That is 66 minutes out of 90 for two complete positions or 73.33% of the minutes.

So it was about the same percentage of the game for the bigs.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
That's exactly right, he's outsmarting himself by slowing it down.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Fooley brought in White b/c he "heard" that he ran a style that he thought would be appreciated by the fans. Well as history had already shown, Fooley did not really do a very thorough search or his homework when seeking replacements for the major men's sports. I doubt Fooley had even heard of him and just had some intern bring him records of teams for the past 5 years from second tier and lower conferences!

And I am sure White's father and all of his buddies, gave Fooley a glowing endorsement too.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when we thought the 06 team was going to be horrible because we lost Lee, Walsh and Roberson.

I actually think some of the young guys may really make a difference. Stone will be back, Okaru has shown promise, Bassett is starting to play better and another year in the program getting stronger will really help. Add in getting Stokes and Johnson healthy and this could be a completely different looking team. Another thing is that White has made it seem like Gak has been playing hurt all year... getting him healthy and stronger for another year could make a big difference.

We need the team to have a tougher mentality, especially on the defensive end. Egor and Hudson don't seem overly interested in playing really hard defense and I think that transfers to the whole team.
I get what your saying but our young guys would have to make a crazy step forward. The only freshman i like out of this class is okouru. I think white has completely undervalued how talented bigs need to be at this level. Johnson, gak, stokes and Basset are just not that good. I think next years gonna be a disaster. But 2020 could be a really good year if white still has his job. Wich i think he will because i think we make the tourney this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.