***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Mike White sucks again

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I get what your saying but our young guys would have to make a crazy step forward. The only freshman i like out of this class is okouru. I think white has completely undervalued how talented bigs need to be at this level. Johnson, gak, stokes and Basset are just not that good. I think next years gonna be a disaster. But 2020 could be a really good year if white still has his job. Wich i think he will because i think we make the tourney this year.

Bassett is getting better, and how would we know how good Stokes and Johnson are?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bassett is getting better, and how would we know how good Stokes and Johnson are?

Because stokes weighs 350 lbs and all he wants to do is float around the 3 pt line and Johnson looked pretty bad at times when he played earlier in the season. Of the 2, Johnson has the best upside imo.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Billy's first three years he was 49-41. White up to now at UF is 58-33. With an elite 8 that took Billy awhile to sniff.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Billy's first three years he was 49-41. White up to now at UF is 58-33. With an elite 8 that took Billy awhile to sniff.

You’re not good at this whole context thing, are you? :lol:

If you can’t see the difference in program strength that each coach inherited, then I can’t help you. That being said, I’m not giving up on White just yet.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

If you can’t see the difference in program strength that each coach inherited, then I can’t help you. That being said, I’m not giving up on White just yet.
You know I don't know or care much about bouncey ball, but didn't Billy inherit a program that Kruger just took to the Final Four? Just keeping it rill.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
You know I don't know or care much about bouncey ball, but didn't Billy inherit a program that Kruger just took to the Final Four? Just keeping it rill.

I don’t have the time or the patience to go through the differences in program strength. One final four run in so many years of average to below average basketball is not on the same planet as what White inherited (arguably the most accomplished program in the past decade).

Heck, VCU and George Mason went to final fours not so long ago. Guess those are great programs now :lol:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Billy D inherited a down program after Lon Kruger left. After the Final 4 run in 93-94, Kruger's final 2 seasons were 17-13 and 12-16. Billy D's first 2 years were losing records, 13-17 and 14-15. After that, Billy D got it going but it took him a few seasons to build up the program. Mike White inherited a better program but was coming off a losing record in Billy D's final season in which we were 16-17 and a team that was disinterested all season it seemed. Mike White came in and changed the mindset and reshaped the program. Mike White has his flaws but he has to learn and grow on the job along with his team. All the injuries to the big men have doomed this current team.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Because stokes weighs 350 lbs and all he wants to do is float around the 3 pt line and Johnson looked pretty bad at times when he played earlier in the season. Of the 2, Johnson has the best upside imo.

Can Stokes play DT?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I get what your saying but our young guys would have to make a crazy step forward. The only freshman i like out of this class is okouru. I think white has completely undervalued how talented bigs need to be at this level. Johnson, gak, stokes and Basset are just not that good. I think next years gonna be a disaster. But 2020 could be a really good year if white still has his job. Wich i think he will because i think we make the tourney this year.

I agree... huge jumps will be needed, but that happened in 2006, so I am choosing to dream big!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I agree... huge jumps will be needed, but that happened in 2006, so I am choosing to dream big!
I see you point, but Brewer started as a frosh. Al started halfway through the season and Green played like 15-20 minutes a game. The one who made massive jump was Noah. But, there is always hope.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016

He took them to the final four a few years prior but Kruger left Billy with a completely depleted roster and I don't think we had made the tourney for at least a year or two. I believe Billy had a walkon playing quite a lot in Billy's first or 2nd year here because our talent level was so low. I think his name was Joel Reinhardt or something like that. Or maybe Joe? Anyway, comparing Billy's situation when he got here and White's situation is apples and oranges. White walked into the 2nd strongest basketball program in the SEC, Billy walked into a program that was just happy if we made the tournament every few years. Unfortunately, I think that is where we might be headed unless we strike gold again, but I have been saying that since the day Billy said he was leaving.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He took them to the final four a few years prior but Kruger left Billy with a completely depleted roster and I don't think we had made the tourney for at least a year or two. I believe Billy had a walkon playing quite a lot in Billy's first or 2nd year here because our talent level was so low. I think his name was Joel Reinhardt or something like that. Or maybe Joe? Anyway, comparing Billy's situation when he got here and White's situation is apples and oranges. White walked into the 2nd strongest basketball program in the SEC, Billy walked into a program that was just happy if we made the tournament every few years. Unfortunately, I think that is where we might be headed unless we strike gold again, but I have been saying that since the day Billy said he was leaving.

This is correct. Florida went to the Final Four in 94. They went to the tourney in 95, but lost in the first round in Tallahassee as a 10 seed to Iowa State who was a 7. It was a close game... UF lost by 3. We drove up for the game. Then the next year UF had a losing record and Kruger left.

Billy came in and inherited a team with a losing record, no championship history and no crowd support. We would get to the game 1 hour before tipoff and sit second row without a problem no matter who we were playing. Billy not only changed the talent coming in, but he also changed the whole atmosphere. He got the students more engaged and created a very good college basketball atmosphere. White didn't have to do any of that. White walked in to a situation where he could succeed. Billy had to build the program. It is night and day!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Exactly!!!

It makes me chuckle when people compare what the two coaches did early in their tenure with absolutely no understanding of what they inherited. Billy had barely enough bodies to field a team when he took over and virtually every one of them was a role player.
By year three, Billy had recruited topflight talent, the likes of which our program had never seen, and was winning games in the tournament.

White inherited a team that had just completed the once/decade transition year when all the established talent had graduated. White has won games in the last two years with a roster that was almost exclusively waiting for him when he arrived. Even today, he still has Chiozza, Hayes, Allen, and Stone that he inherited and this is year three.

There is no comparison between the two

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

I dont know **** about basketball but probably played organized and street ball 30x times more than you along with watching gator ball since Neal Walk suited up. Billy inherited a team from Kruger, a fine coach, and final four guy. White inherited a loosing team but a Billy team. Basket ball is having the parts and chemistry. They dont have either and it takes a good coach time to create it. His third year. One final 8 which was damned close to a final four. But now he sucks............patience is in short supply since the football program has tanked for a decade. I get it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Two years after the Final Four berth. We were in a rebuilding.

It's premature of our fans to abandon Mike White. Basketball is a five-man game. It's easier for the the mix to get messed up.

I realize that's an oversimplification. Our more sophisticated fans will get it.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know **** about basketball but probably played organized and street ball 30x times more than you along with watching gator ball since Neal Walk suited up. Billy inherited a team from Kruger, a fine coach, and final four guy. White inherited a loosing team but a Billy team. Basket ball is having the parts and chemistry. They dont have either and it takes a good coach time to create it. His third year. One final 8 which was damned close to a final four. But now he sucks............patience is in short supply since the football program has tanked for a decade. I get it.

I can see it now...

563F737D-5729-45F1-B1B8-5F5773A4A462.gif

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
good one Jay. Im just saying White isnt suddenly awful. He does not have the right players where he needs them or the chemistry. Chemistry is why those 04s were so great. Took Billy a long time to hit that homerun
btw Im 63 and bet I can take you or damn sure whip you in horse..........or drop dead after 8 minutes of
one on one.................:)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
good one Jay. Im just saying White isnt suddenly awful. He does not have the right players where he needs them or the chemistry. Chemistry is why those 04s were so great. Took Billy a long time to hit that homerun
btw Im 63 and bet I can take you or damn sure whip you in horse..........or drop dead after 8 minutes of
one on one.................:)
Looks like me and pe are finally standing together on something . I think he's a good young coach. And i think we'll get a couple more good wins this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.