***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Florida vs Eastern Michigan***

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n43939 said:
I'm pleasantly surprised with our performance and, even more, with the outcome of the game. I think the score is skewed due to unforced mistakes EM made. I think the score appears better than we played. Still, I'm happy and while our play wasn't as good as it could have been, it was waaaaaaay better than it's been. Now bring on Kentucky.

Go Gators!!
:chomp:

We had 655 yards of offense. Yes we got turn overs, but we still had to move the ball and score once we had it. It wasn't like 2 years ago against SC where they kept giving us the ball in the red zone.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Special teams looked great other than the kickoffs. Hit all fgs, Christy punting like his freshman year, and Debose working his magic.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
What a great showing! I know it was E Michigan, but they looked good. Treon looked special. Can't wait to watch him grow.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n43952 said:
We had 655 yards of offense. Yes we got turn overs, but we still had to move the ball and score once we had it. It wasn't like 2 years ago against SC where they kept giving us the ball in the red zone.

Yeah, I know that it wasn't completely given to us, but I also know that some of the TD's were big plays that might have been due to the opposition's lack of skill and execution as much as our great execution. The runs that popped for 31 and 40 and the two Treon passes (70 & 78) may not happen as often against good teams. Those were offensive numbers (219 yards) that weren't a result of sustained drives.

Now if we can pop big plays all year, whether because they're the result of the offensive scheme or because our athletes are uncontainable, then great! However, I think we'll have to sustain drives more as we go. The early trouble with 3rd downs is a little concerning to me, but I know this is our first game in a new season and new system.

TL;DR - Are big plays a new norm for our offense, or an indication that EMU sucks? Time may tell that we must sustain drives and not depend on big plays.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n44028 said:
Yeah, I know that it wasn't completely given to us, but I also know that some of the TD's were big plays that might have been due to the opposition's lack of skill and execution as much as our great execution. The runs that popped for 31 and 40 and the two Treon passes (70 & 78) may not happen as often against good teams. Those were offensive numbers (219 yards) that weren't a result of sustained drives.

Now if we can pop big plays all year, whether because they're the result of the offensive scheme or because our athletes are uncontainable, then great! However, I think we'll have to sustain drives more as we go. The early trouble with 3rd downs is a little concerning to me, but I know this is our first game in a new season and new system.

TL;DR - Are big plays a new norm for our offense, or an indication that EMU sucks? Time may tell that we must sustain drives and not depend on big plays.

Still early but we seem to have some tools to use.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator said:
Law98gator;n43764 said:
He's gone. If he doesn't get any touches in this game with two walkons and a true freshman carrying the ball, why would he stay.
Lane had a family emergency and had to go home. Will be back in a few days. He would have played quite a bit today.
I won't say good to know, because I suspect the way WM said it, I suspect it's a death or similar issue.

That being said, I thing he'll do big things if he gets a chance to carry. Glad to know he isn't in the doghouse for something.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n43839 said:
I really cringed when Roper sent Harris in during that first drive. I thought Pease had knocked Roper in the head and took over the headset. That was the only issue I had with the play calling. Roper should have stayed with Jeff the entire drive. You can really disrupt the rhythm of the offense, especially during the first drive of the season.
I think they wanted to run the QB and still don't want JD running.

If Treon has a couple of more great games, it will also allow JD to run more because we won't be as afraid of the risk of him getting hurt.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Even with an outmatched opponent UF had to work for it. If this were a year ago with Pease, now way UF gets 65. Lucky if we got 35.

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
Not much negative in a 65 - 0 blow-out but I still saw our starting QB look lost about 6 times during the game. I'll reserve being totally sold on the new JD until after a few solid games against SEC defenses.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr said:
Even with an outmatched opponent UF had to work for it. If this were a year ago with Pease, now way UF gets 65. Lucky if we got 35.
I didn't really feel we had to work for it. It may have been the play calling early on that was focused on bubble screens, but it was the first game in front of a large crowd in a lonnnng time and it's not like this team was shaking rust off, the coaches were getting them confident (maybe the coaches needed to see trust) before the play book opened up a bit more. There is plenty to work on, but they didn't work hard and yet played four qtrs with passion and intensity that's been missing around here.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So the long torturous losing streak finally comes to an end. The Gators looked good but one must remember you were playing a cupcake, Eastern Michigan.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, but apparently this offense also performed against one of the best defenses they'll see all year. Ours, in Spring and Fall camps. They've seen a very tough defense already.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n44733 said:
So the long torturous losing streak finally comes to an end. The Gators looked good but one must remember you were playing a cupcake, Eastern Michigan.
Even when we struggle with some cupcakes, we never struggle with the cupcakes from Noxiousville.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n44733 said:
The Gators looked good but one must remember you were playing a cupcake, Eastern Michigan.
Aren't you the same dork that started a thread proclaiming your Vols worldbeaters after beating Utah State? :crazy:

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n44840 said:
Aren't you the same dork that started a thread proclaiming your Vols worldbeaters after beating Utah State? :crazy:
York the Dork! It's true that we play some cupcakes - EMU, Tennessee and E. Kentucky, but, we will be in the hunt for the SEC, while UT struggles to become bowl eligible, but, fails, again. Hopefully, playing UT won't hurt our strength of schedule, again. It won't matter though. Playing the #1, 2 & 4 ranked teams, plus, several other ranked teams, we will be in the big dance, if we take care of business.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n44840 said:

The comparison is night and day. Eastern Michigan is Eastern Michigan while Utah State was big finisher in the BCS. I rest my case.

Bye the way it's alright to beat up on a cupcake. There's no law against it. I"m just saying getting fired up about opening a can of whup ass on Eastern Michigan will bear no fruit once you take the field with Alabama.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n45074 said:
The comparison is night and day. Eastern Michigan is Eastern Michigan while Utah State was big finisher in the BCS. I rest my case.

Bye the way it's alright to beat up on a cupcake. There's no law against it. I"m just saying getting fired up about opening a can of whup ass on Eastern Michigan will bear no fruit once you take the field with Alabama.

Just like your fruit is fixing to get squashed in Norman this coming Saturday.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n45081 said:
Just like your fruit is fixing to get squashed in Norman this coming Saturday.

I think someone squashed his melon a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb