***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Orange vs Blue***

Which QB will have the better spring game?

• Feleipe Franks

Votes: 27 24.5%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 83 75.5%

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the replay twice.

giphy.gif

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don't have the numbers. I understand our shameful SID did and added the Trash pass to Lawrence Wright also (which should have been a int obviously).

I believe however the 5.5 and 5.8 yards per pass numbers were with those sham yards removed.

That’s the phone booth stat. If yards per attempt is under 6, that means you’re checking down all time. Which means the defense can load that area sideline to sideline - not just in the box - and throttle you. It means your WRs aren’t getting separation and/or the coaches don’t trust your arm 20 yards downfield and/or your OL isn’t giving you time nor establishing the run.

Anything under 9 YPA is worrisome, as is passing TDs to INTs anything less than 2:1.

I can’t expect that to change in 14 practices or even over the summer. I’d like to see progress during the season.

If Jefferson and Grimes are eligible and/or Copeland can contribute it will help. A lot.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Theo, that post pretty much summed us up over the past few years.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The whole damn game was a sham, but one thing remained obvious: Franks has absolutely no clue what to do when he drops back to pass.

Trask looked significantly better in the pocket, and has a big arm, too.

I didn’t think he looked very good in the pocket - and he didn’t have much time. Nor was he very accurate. 12/24? He threw a couple of nice balls in tight windows but threw a number of bad ones and should have had a couple picked off.

Franks looked no better. Neither of them will take pressure off the OL.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can we quit acting like Franks can run? He runs like a giraffe and is only useful in a straight line, something he'll rarely see in real games. His rushing yards in the spring game were a joke, the defense just let him run by them.

Trask isn't exactly Michael Vick himself, but Franks is not significantly better.
Thank you. Good lord, Franks runs like he's constantly trying to keep from falling down. Watching that Trask tape from the 2016 O&B game you can see that he's at least as fast as Franks and runs with more fluidity, if you can call it that. He's not going to set the world on fire but I think he's better than Franks.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
We could do this a little differently. Who thinks it matters whether Trask is better than Franks or vice-versa?

Exactly. It’s like comparing LDR & Appleby.

I hold out some measure of hope that the bulb gets screwed in that last quarter turn and the light comes on for one of them - more likely Franks. Even more likely Jones, and I trust Mullen to make that call - and when to make it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t think he looked very good in the pocket - and he didn’t have much time. Nor was he very accurate. 12/24? He threw a couple of nice balls in tight windows but threw a number of bad ones and should have had a couple picked off.
I didn't say he was accurate - I said he looked better in the pocket. Franks looks extremely uncomfortable every time he drops back.

Ultimately, I think the Donkey is right - Mullen is determined to run Franks out there no matter what, so the Trask arguments are moot anyway.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I didn't say he was accurate - I said he looked better in the pocket. Franks looks extremely uncomfortable every time he drops back.

Ultimately, I think the Donkey is right - Mullen is determined to run Franks out there no matter what, so the Trask arguments are moot anyway.

Fair enough. And I think Franks had more time. It seemed to me that every other play 1-3 DL were immediately within arms’ reach of Trask.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It is all going to be on the OL. Even all our RB won’t matter that much without blocking. Trask threw the ball much better and stayed in the “ pocket” which I’m afraid won’t exist under many teams. Hopefully by fall they look much better or we have a Toney/Jones rotation.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
If the OL doesn't get it's stuff together...it's gonna be a LOOOOOOONG season.

This. I think the Gators are deep at RB. If we can throw it just well enough to keep teams honest I think we will be seriously better off than we have been for some time. Some of that is on the QB's shoulders but a lot of it is on the line. When we get a chance to run, the OL has to get some push. Hopefully a summer with Savage will light that fire.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Either go with Trask or hope Emory is a quick learner. I’d love nothing more than for Jones to take a strangle hold on the job and start Day 1. We’d have something to really look forward to...a future QB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is determined to run Franks out there no matter what
He is. The good news is that playing EJ not Toney or whomever shows he isnt determined to redshirt EJ.

SOMEONE will be in 2006 Percy/Tebow wildcat role. If Toney isnt practicing it, IMO, it means they are sure they are playing EJ his fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator