***Official Gatorchatter BBQ Thread***

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ii sounds like we may have some backyard pit masters on the board. What's your current grill/smoker set up. I have a gasser for quick things like steak, chicken breast, fish. I bought a weber smokey mountain last year around November and I absolutely love it. It can put out some seriously good ribs, pork buts, turkey, and prime rib.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Naturally... I have a Bradley electric smoker. It is an amazing piece of equipment and luckily.... My wife and 2 girls love bbq and smoked meat.

ncargat1

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Have a Weber Genesis for short cooks, burgers dogs, steaks, etc....

Weber Smokey Mountain for large meats, ribs, etc.....I only use Apple or Cherry wood though, light smoke, never hickory or mesquite.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have an XL big green egg for most of my grilling and smoking and a JennAir gasser for when I need to grill something up fast.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Is the egg easy to use? I'm no expert on grilling/smoking.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like any grill it takes some time to tinker with and get used to it but I wouldn't say it is difficult by any means. You really have two areas to control air flow and heat. One vent at the bottom which is essentially your master control for how hot or low you want to keep your fire. And a vent wheel on top of the dome to dial your temperatures in to a bit more of an exact number. Did a 12lb pork butt overnight last weekend and it was amazing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n6832 said:
Like any grill it takes some time to tinker with and get used to it but I wouldn't say it is difficult by any means. You really have two areas to control air flow and heat. One vent at the bottom which is essentially your master control for how hot or low you want to keep your fire. And a vent wheel on top of the dome to dial your temperatures in to a bit more of an exact number. Did a 12lb pork butt overnight last weekend and it was amazing.
Been thinking of getting one, but I'm no expert. I've had folks tell me how great they are.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've heard nothing but great things about the Egg. I just can't bring myself to drop that much coin.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n6834 said:
I've heard nothing but great things about the Egg. I just can't bring myself to drop that much coin.
Just switch to PBRs for about a month. That should more than cover it. ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
I have Sonny's BBQ for all my needs.
+1. Work has marooned me in Georgia on two occasions and Sonny's is the only way I survived the ordeal.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Jabberdave;n6834 said:
Just switch to PBRs for about a month. That should more than cover it. ;)
Life is too short for shiit beer. He can just pull an extra shift or two at the rest area.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing special. A Webber Spirit 3 burner and a vertical smoker. The smoker does have the option to use gas on it but I've never used that, just charcoal and chips. It is my first smoker and now wish I had an indirect side smoker instead.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ncargat1;n6810 said:
Have a Weber Genesis for short cooks, burgers dogs, steaks, etc.... Weber Smokey Mountain for large meats, ribs, etc.....I only use Apple or Cherry wood though, light smoke, never hickory or mesquite.
I agree, less smoke is more. I stick with apple wood as well.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n6834 said:
A weber smoky mountain will work as good or better for about a third of the price of an egg.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n6830 said:
Amazingribs.com will bring you up to speed on any BBQ or grilling questions. It's like the BBQ bible.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SaltGator said:
MJMGator;n6830 said:
Amazingribs.com will bring you up to speed on any BBQ or grilling questions. It's like the BBQ bible.
+1 on Amazingribs. great site. I recently found out a really good blog I used to follow, BarbecueAddict, is now only on Facebook, which I don't do. This woman does a meal every couple of weeks, with really nice photos thru the process. Everything is smoked, including the desserts.
I have a Chargrill Horizontal and two Webers, I really like the old school Weber OneTouch the best.
NV, I would do some homework on the horizontal before you make the investment. Most, but not all, are difficult to control the heat ranges. I had trouble keeping mine in the 225-275 range, so I had to make some modifications to the unit to make it really smoker/cooking friendly for the larger cuts it can handle.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, those of you who have or are interested in the BGE, have you looked at the Komoda, which is also a ceramic dome style. I have never used one but hear a lot of good things about them They are expensive. This guy does a lot of instructional videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jGC04jOugs

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking next outdoor cooker thingy is going to be some form of Santa Maria style grill with a dome or cover that will allow me to smoke in it as well, kinda like this but not this damn big
image008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb