***Official Gatorchatter BBQ Thread***

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Ray you need to try the ole reverse sear on a backstrap one of these days. I don't hunt and my buddies only give me the ground up stuff every now and then. A restaurant at Disney had venison loin on the menu one time we were down and sou vide'd it then crusted it up on a (probably) ungodly hot grill. One of the best things I ever ate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Finally had a chance to get her nice and hot...Well the one that doesn't talk back. Beef ribs.

a57f441b2bea6eac6a1ef0749ef8cfa8.jpg
abeebc0f1d563219085b3683d3e2f629.jpg
b92cd3015d5ba1fc3de09f92f5425d55.jpg

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's Thanksgiving. For those interested, here is a detailed article about how to prepare, cook, and serve a turkey either in your outdoor grill or indoor oven. There is also an embedded video for a step by step smoking how-to. For those not familar with Meathead Goldwyn, he is a UF grad and a world class BBQ guru.

amazingribs.com

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did sort of a cordon bleu with a twist tonight for dinner. Butterflied two breasts and dusted with Sazon, cayenne, s&p, stuffed with thinly sliced ham, crimini's, and sharp cheddar. Sauteed in olive oil with spinach, bacon, mushrooms, diced onion and garlic til I got a crust and then added a couple shots of chicken broth and white zin. Covered the pan with foil and braized it in the oven for 30 minutes. The chicken was really moist and flavorful, but if I do it again I would add a couple tablespoons of sour cream to the liquid after the chicken is out and do a quick sauce reduction with a pot of rice or mashed potatoes to go with it.
DSC02941_zpsb0cnp8nh.jpg~original

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Barbecued some chicken breasts on the grill tonight and needed something for late night tv. After going through the pantry and refrigerator, I came up with enough stuff to make this pumpkin-pineapple cobbler. If it wasn't 11:00, I would have gone to the store for vanilla ice cream.

DSC02981_zpsjrejyc8x.jpg~original

Last edited:

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Had some pulled pork off a Treager yesterday. Buddy of mine bought one and cooked 3 butts on it. turned out good. I never new how loud those things are though.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Loud? I've never even noticed mine.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
not sure what size you have but he his is almost 5 feet wide and about 2 foot or so deep. Loud was probably the wrong word, I wasn't trying to be connotative at all. I guess I just never thought that it would make noise. I would definitely call it audible within 20-30. I couldn't hear it from inside though.

what is it that is making the noise?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
not sure what size you have but he his is almost 5 feet wide and about 2 foot or so deep. Loud was probably the wrong word, I wasn't trying to be connotative at all. I guess I just never thought that it would make noise. I would definitely call it audible within 20-30. I couldn't hear it from inside though.

what is it that is making the noise?
Yeah it does make some sound I guess, although mine is more of a normal sized grill than your friends. It has an electric motor that turns the auger to push pellets into the burn pot which makes a little noise like a rotisserie. And the burn pot makes a flaming noise like a blowtorch. Compared to a regular bbq, which is silent unless fat is falling on the coals, it could be called noisy I guess.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I guess the noise was actually fire being fanned, idk.

Off BBQ topic but this is the right place on this forum. I bought a griddle off craigslist and I need some advice on how to get it a little more even.
08425d1fb0db42e5bf781a53424ce2d3.jpg

4f78e728168766154040ed1133d6d9a9.jpg

800be6c41e4b1978d81290e1b97a2b9b.jpg

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess the noise was actually fire being fanned, idk.

Off BBQ topic but this is the right place on this forum. I bought a griddle off craigslist and I need some advice on how to get it a little more even.
08425d1fb0db42e5bf781a53424ce2d3.jpg

4f78e728168766154040ed1133d6d9a9.jpg

800be6c41e4b1978d81290e1b97a2b9b.jpg

I'm not clear on what you're asking here. Are you wanting to change the spacing of the burners in the box?

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah I tied one on last night when I posted this. Just asking the best way to get a little more even heat distribution. Is there any options for a new set up with different burner or is there any options leaving these burners and modding something to get better distribution

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah it does make some sound I guess, although mine is more of a normal sized grill than your friends. It has an electric motor that turns the auger to push pellets into the burn pot which makes a little noise like a rotisserie. And the burn pot makes a flaming noise like a blowtorch. Compared to a regular bbq, which is silent unless fat is falling on the coals, it could be called noisy I guess.
I've been thinking about getting one of those wood pellet grills. How do you like yours?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Personally I love mine. I think there are better ones than the $500 Traeger I have but it was a present so there you go. Made ribs a few weeks ago that fell off the bone. Smoked a pork loin the other night for about 2 hours before cranking up the heat to finish cooking it, freaking delicious. Side benefit is a lot less mess. I just change the tin foil on the drip tray after about half a dozen uses and that's pretty much it other than a quick wipe of the grate itself.

About the only bad thing is that some models, perhaps mine included, don't get that direct heat that people like to sear their food. Regardless, all my steaks and such have come out great. I've even cooked pizza in it.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Yeah I tied one on last night when I posted this. Just asking the best way to get a little more even heat distribution. Is there any options for a new set up with different burner or is there any options leaving these burners and modding something to get better distribution

Heavy, is the actual griddle plate a thin stainless? You may need to try and find a flat cast iron or thicker steel to spread the heat

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Personally I love mine. I think there are better ones than the $500 Traeger I have but it was a present so there you go. Made ribs a few weeks ago that fell off the bone. Smoked a pork loin the other night for about 2 hours before cranking up the heat to finish cooking it, freaking delicious. Side benefit is a lot less mess. I just change the tin foil on the drip tray after about half a dozen uses and that's pretty much it other than a quick wipe of the grate itself.

About the only bad thing is that some models, perhaps mine included, don't get that direct heat that people like to sear their food. Regardless, all my steaks and such have come out great. I've even cooked pizza in it.
Check this Pooboi http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155476/searing-steaks-and-pellet-grills

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014

Heavy, is the actual griddle plate a thin stainless? You may need to try and find a flat cast iron or thicker steel to spread the heat[/QUOTE]
its rolled steel, 1/4 inch thick or so. I'm going to buy a few "diffusers" this weekend and experiment some. I didn't realize burners were so damn expensive, a set of new burners would cost more than what I paid for the damn thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.