***Official Gatorchatter BBQ Thread***

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
get chicken with skin on it, you wont regret it. just dry it out over night or at least a few hours before you put it on.
Im with ya on the skin thing HC. I buy a 3 or 4 pack of quarters, start a 4 lb charcoal fire with a cool zone. While the fire is stoking up, Im ripping the plastic off the pack, rubbing them down with olive oil, and season them, usually salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder. By the time the seasonings done, the coals are halfway going and the fire is red hot. Chicken likes it hot and quick. I put the chicken on the cool side and put the dome on. I don't open the dome for 1hr 20 minutes, then the quarters come off. The chicken skin is nice and crispy, usually somewhat bubbled up from the heat, and the meat is juicy and perfectly cooked. The whole thing is now automatic for me. By the way, Walmart has been selling the 16 pound bags of Kingsford for $5 here in Jax, that schit is regularly overpriced at $9. I don't know how long that will last. Home Depot sometimes runs a twin pack of 16s for $8 around July 4.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
yeah, if I do the boneless/skinless stuff I just grill it, its not worth the effort to smoke it. stuff with skin gets smoked at least 350, if not up to 400, little bit of cherry and its off in an hour max. if you dry it out right, the skin is almost like its deep fried.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Took shorties out of the freezer this mornin, they were on sale, unlike brad who just buys sh!t for the hell of it. unfortunately I had to talk to the assistant butcher managers and wouldn't give me a better deal for a whole uncut wrack. I'll post up my process tomorrow cuz I'll be off and more than likely indulging in beverages.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You don't ever open? You don't flip or anything?

This is for bone-in skin-on chicken quarters only. Different cuts require different times and techniques for me. Boneless-skinless chicken breasts in my opinion require more attention and some cooking in and out of the hot flame (flipping, handling, moving around the heat source) so as not to dry them out. My way for skin on quarters I don't need to flip, they brown and crisp evenly on both sides (the olive oil or canola rub does this). I don't need to check them, opening the lid causes it to lose it's cooking temp. I start my fire with a pretty good handful of small oak limbs and twigs so along with the charcoal the chicken gets just the right amount of smoke. It's really almost automatic and foolproof. I use an old Weber dome (this thing has flown out the back of the truck onto the road a couple of times) almost exclusively to cook on outside whether I am grilling or smoking so I have figured out the amount of coals, when to put the meat on and how long to cook for that particular grill. I would guess if you use a ceramic cooker the heat and cooking times will change. There is a certain amount of heat loss thru the Weber because its only one layer of stamped steel and the ceramic cooker is more efficient with a lot less heat due to the insulation factor of the cooking vessel. I also have a CharmGlow offset cooker that I haven't used in over a year; Even though I have made modifications to the offset, I still find it less efficient and more cumbersome to use than the less-sexy but easy to use Weber. It's just a personal choice made through my own experiences.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is for bone-in skin-on chicken quarters only. Different cuts require different times and techniques for me. Boneless-skinless chicken breasts in my opinion require more attention and some cooking in and out of the hot flame (flipping, handling, moving around the heat source) so as not to dry them out. My way for skin on quarters I don't need to flip, they brown and crisp evenly on both sides (the olive oil or canola rub does this). I don't need to check them, opening the lid causes it to lose it's cooking temp. I start my fire with a pretty good handful of small oak limbs and twigs so along with the charcoal the chicken gets just the right amount of smoke. It's really almost automatic and foolproof. I use an old Weber dome (this thing has flown out the back of the truck onto the road a couple of times) almost exclusively to cook on outside whether I am grilling or smoking so I have figured out the amount of coals, when to put the meat on and how long to cook for that particular grill. I would guess if you use a ceramic cooker the heat and cooking times will change. There is a certain amount of heat loss thru the Weber because its only one layer of stamped steel and the ceramic cooker is more efficient with a lot less heat due to the insulation factor of the cooking vessel. I also have a CharmGlow offset cooker that I haven't used in over a year; Even though I have made modifications to the offset, I still find it less efficient and more cumbersome to use than the less-sexy but easy to use Weber. It's just a personal choice made through my own experiences.
A simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just kidding CCC. I'm mostly impressed you don't need to flip and it cooks through. I'll have to give that a try.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
If you're not cooking direct, there's no reason to flip NV. Smoking is comparable to baking where grilling is more like pan fried. You don't flip cakes in the oven right?

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Fixing to put up my shorty process but I figured this would be a good text to yalls buddies or Facebook.
f2a205a38243df228619c1fb49a0c706.jpg

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Beef short ribs.

With Brad doing his elusive bison, publix put shorties on sale for us less fortunate folk. I'm just using this to show my technique on how I do shorties. I usually try to grab the whole rack uncut cuz they give me a dollar or so off per pound. Got some good sized ones with a few smaller ones.

I've messed with the process a few times and have settled on this way as being best for me.

a914c229f93c0a7321ff8f68e8e094cd.jpg

I just put my usual steak seasoning on them, 215-230 for a couple hours just to get some smokiness on them.

a5722a86eae8717cfefb035d4e2a5aa0.jpg

At about 1:45 in I cut up some celery, onion and carrot, put it in a Dutch oven with a couple beers and bring it to a boil. I put it all in cold once and it took forever to get back to temp.

09d50246161ea9714c09a1938f06c07b.jpg

After about 2 hours, throw them in the D.O. They went in at one and I took them off at 6.

d0a8c94606c1dcdcee65f6c3f4f89b6a.jpg

47d51ba125e72708151a2181fa407e73.jpg

Think of an awesome pot roast, mix in some smoke and a lot more of that great, sweet fat flavor. My wife loves these. She got the "braise beef rib" at a fancy spot a while back for $35 and was very disappointed comparing it to this method. Give it a try or don't. IDGAF.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good God Almighty that looks good. You toss the veggies or eat em? I'm wonderin if you couldn't add a thickener and have that swimming in some gravy for them mashed taters and biscuits. My proposal earlier still stands.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you're not cooking direct, there's no reason to flip NV. Smoking is comparable to baking where grilling is more like pan fried. You don't flip cakes in the oven right?
TBH, I'm not a round kettle Webber cooker. Every time I have, I've had to flip stuff on it. I get you don't do that with smokin, just not familiar with the kettle though. Impressive, to say the least.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saturday did the no flip chicken quarters. SPCGEVOO - One hour 20 minutes - He dead.
DSC03499_zpsoonej5sp.jpg

Sunday did these regular cut spare ribs in a Johnny Trigg variation. Trimmed the excess fat and removed the silver skin. They went indirect 2 hours with a salt, black pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, cayenne, oregano rub with applewood smoke. Then they got double wrapped in a brown sugar, molasses and butter in foil and back on for an hour, then out of the foil and slathered with a datil pepper relish glaze for the last hour with more smoke, total of 4 hours,all indirect at 275.
This was the first time I used this method and really liked the results. You can see how moist they were. The bark was really good (almost like Korean barbecue texture), the seasonings didn't overpower the flavor of the smoked pork and was really tender with just a little tug.
DSC03503_zpskmqdgntk.jpg

DSC03504_zps07fndsaf.jpg

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saturday did the no flip chicken quarters. SPCGEVOO - One hour 20 minutes - He dead.

Sunday did these regular cut spare ribs in a Johnny Trigg variation. Trimmed the excess fat and removed the silver skin. They went indirect 2 hours with a salt, black pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, cayenne, oregano rub with applewood smoke. Then they got double wrapped in a brown sugar, molasses and butter in foil and back on for an hour, then out of the foil and slathered with a datil pepper relish glaze for the last hour with more smoke, total of 4 hours,all indirect at 275.
This was the first time I used this method and really liked the results. You can see how moist they were. The bark was really good (almost like Korean barbecue texture), the seasonings didn't overpower the flavor of the smoked pork and was really tender with just a little tug.

Pics?

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Brad put a bunch of Franklin BBQ YouTubes in the box over before the long weekend. He still hasn't bothered to show his results. Got me in the mood to get mine thawed. 13.** packer, went full on Franklin with the trim, rub, and cook process for the most part.
dc40848573de6de53bc2b54173a15077.jpg

Just before trimming.
918fa16a159cd230591b63752d9f64f5.jpg

Just before wrapping, about 10 hours after putting it on the rig.
9566139593b35b2494e98dda3b6745b9.jpg

Asteroid
75eed155f721b4261bf9ca5ad4de55bc.jpg

Sat for about 5 hours in butcher paper in a cooler. I'd say it was tender, maybe too tender but not quite mush like over-wrapped stuff. The butcher paper definitely makes a difference in that aspect. Definitely not the steamed texture foil gives it.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Damn I'm hungry now. Ribs chicken and brisket all look great!

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Decided to smoke some ribs & a butt today. This is my first time doing either on this smoker. I just took the ribs off about 20 minutes ago and here are what they look like. They are resting and I'll cut into them in a few minutes. Very tender, but not falling off the bone.

IMG_20160605_183515612_zpsyyg3ykee.jpg

Simple rub, Kosher sea salt, course black pepper, a little granulated onion powder, granulated garlic powder, & paprika for color.

Last edited:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the butt when pulled the ribs, one more hour, then wrap it (smoke for 5 hours unwrapped, internal @ 160).

IMG_20160605_183545458_zpszso5nfam.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator