***Official Gatorchatter BBQ Thread***

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I almost forgot the cedar plank smoked Salmon .

IMG_20160605_193609358_zpsovr5uhqc.jpg

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The butt after 7 hours of heat @ 275 and a 30 minute rest. The bark on this thing is awesome. Almost time to tear it apart.

IMG_20160605_214206895_zpsbfv0mah8.jpg

Here's the pork after I "pulled" it apart. Incredible flavor and as moist as I've ever had.

IMG_20160605_222918694_zps6u3erv04.jpg

Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So when is the first annual gatorchatter barbecue competition?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Say this again in the, what has become, vegan thread in the PF. Alcoholica will love it :lmao2:
Hey, hey, hey, I never said eating vegan was the best tasting food, just that it was way healthier.

I just smoked some boston butts this weekend and they were outstanding. People were getting 3rd's and 4th's.

I'll also tell you to stay away from smoking brisket. It's a pain in the ass. Go with a chuck roast instead.

If you want an easy smoker experience, just get an electric smoker and buy those wireless thermometers that you can monitor from your phone.

And finally, visit http://amazingribs.com/, it's a great site and he is a UF grad.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Congrats alcoholica on one of the worst sentences in BBQ conversation history. Brisket is by far one of the LEAST pains in the ass to cook. And even the best chuck roast doesn't hold a candle to a mediocre brisket.

The rest of your comments are on point. Post up some que next time you serve it to people.

One last question, were they eating it because it was good, or was the other option organic irradiated spinach tofu blend?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Congrats alcoholica on one of the worst sentences in BBQ conversation history. Brisket is by far one of the LEAST pains in the ass to cook. And even the best chuck roast doesn't hold a candle to a mediocre brisket.

The rest of your comments are on point. Post up some que next time you serve it to people.

One last question, were they eating it because it was good, or was the other option organic irradiated spinach tofu blend?
:bwahaha:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like it bro. What kinda t-stat is that you using?

I picked up two Taylor thermostats from Wal-Mart in the kitchen utensil section, they were $15.00/each.
I used one to monitor the internal temp of the butt, & the other to monitor the air temp inside the grill next to the meat.
These were not my first option, but the local option at the time. I'll likely change them out later.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I've only had one good place to get Brisket. Granted, never eaten bbq in Texas, but I've had some horrible brisket. Just go to Sonny's. Not sure how you can say brisket is easy. It's uneven shape and uneven fat distribution make it much more challenging than most other cuts. It is unforgiving as ****. Chuckies are almost as easy as pork shoulder. Sure a good brisket point will beat a chucky, but I've yet to have the flat beat a chucky.

The pork shoulders were on point.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Over Memorial Day, I had ordered the 16lb brisket from Creekstone Farms (same exact brisket Aaron Franklin orders).

Still packaged:
image.jpeg

Trimmed and on my smoking rack. Whoops... Too big!

image.jpeg

I cut off the flat, and only salt and pepper rub (just like Aaron):

image.jpeg

Cooked at 250 all night, oak and mesquite wood (just like Aaron). We ate the little piece for breakfast with eggs.

After 12 hours, wrapped the big in paper. Cooked for another 3 hours. Place in a cooler for a couple of hours and:
image.jpeg

Sorry. A pack of wild dogs tore into and so I have no pics of it cut. It was the best brisket I have ever eaten. The melted fat literally tasted like caramelized sugar.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good post, I don't understand the hostile attitude that you have against all these "q'ers" .

There are more briskets screwed up than any other cut. The only thing that would border that is where someone tries to "cook" a whole hog.

Last edited:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
so, we do birthday parties at work and "apparently" it was my turn to do more than buy something to bring this time, and cook something to bring. I'm all about ease when i have to cook for these so out comes the crock pot.

i remember an earlier post where some chili was make with smoked brisket (and a win was taken home), and I had some of the pork left over from last weekends cook fest I had at my place and a light bulb went off; pulled pork chili.

well, it turned out great and has been a hit with errone who has tried it. Maybe an idea for N E 1 who has some left overs from a smoke to try one day.

:thumbup:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
so, we do birthday parties at work and "apparently" it was my turn to do more than buy something to bring this time, and cook something to bring. I'm all about ease when i have to cook for these so out comes the crock pot.

i remember an earlier post where some chili was make with smoked brisket (and a win was taken home), and I had some of the pork left over from last weekends cook fest I had at my place and a light bulb went off; pulled pork chili.

well, it turned out great and has been a hit with errone who has tried it. Maybe an idea for N E 1 who has some left overs from a smoke to try one day.

:thumbup:

You served everyone week-old pork? Did you leave it out all day for good measure?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"Hey everyone, I brought in my crockpot filled with everything from my fridge that was out of date. I call it trux-porridge. Y'all are going to love it!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.