***Official Gatorchatter BBQ Thread***

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SaltGator said:
MJMGator;n6830 said:
Is the egg easy to use? I'm no expert on grilling/smoking.
Amazingribs.com will bring you up to speed on any BBQ or grilling questions. It's like the BBQ bible.
+Another on Amazingribs site. I've got it book marked. TONs of info there.

Thanks CCC for the advice. The problem I have with the vertical is I can't get the damn heat low enough. It want's to stay around 300-325 unless it's burning off the charcoal then it drops real low. You add more charcoal and BOOM it's back up to 350-400.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SaltGator said:
Jabberdave;n6834 said:
I've heard nothing but great things about the Egg. I just can't bring myself to drop that much coin.
A weber smoky mountain will work as good or better for about a third of the price of an egg.
If you are talking about strictly smoking yes, but for multiple uses no way. I can easily get my egg up to 800 degrees and perfectly sear a steak or throw on a pizza or dial it in low and slow for a 12 hour cook.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Smoke hollow 4 in 1. It works pretty good for a COS after a few minor mods.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've been using a gas smoker for a few years and it's very simple. Maintaining your temp is easy and I like to use maple wood chips,they just throw out a sweet smoke I like. I'm actually thinking about getting a reverse flow smoker on a trailer . Anybody got any experience with those?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter said:
By the way, those of you who have or are interested in the BGE, have you looked at the Komoda, which is also a ceramic dome style. I have never used one but hear a lot of good things about them They are expensive. This guy does a lot of instructional videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jGC04jOugs
Also look up Malcolm reed. He's got a video for just about every cut of meat including whole hog. Also thanks for the link I watch alot of these videos and keep some pitmasters on the dvr

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorhunter said:
Smoke hollow 4 in 1. It works pretty good for a COS after a few minor mods.
This is the brand of smoker I use and it gets the job done. Mine can do a couple big Boston butts but you can only do about 3 slabs of ribs. But I think it's a very simple cooker and great for someone who's learning. I've had mine 5 years and I'm wanting to upgrade.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter said:
I'm thinking next outdoor cooker thingy is going to be some form of Santa Maria style grill with a dome or cover that will allow me to smoke in it as well, kinda like this but not this damn big
image008.jpg
Pretty sweet looking cooker.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
I've been using a gas smoker for a few years and it's very simple. Maintaining your temp is easy and I like to use maple wood chips,they just throw out a sweet smoke I like. I'm actually thinking about getting a reverse flow smoker on a trailer . Anybody got any experience with those?
I had one made by a welding shop in Cairo Ga. I loved it. It had a gas fire starter for the wood logs. Easy to control the temperature from 125 to 700 degrees by dampers on rhe firebox and on the smokestack. It will ruin you for any other kind of smoker. Not for small jobs though, when I fired it up I cooked for a crowd or for the week for my family. And becaose you could cook so hot, it would do mean steak. I even baked some home-made buttermilk biscuits once when the power went out while I was smoking meat. My wife was fussing so I finished the ribs and raised the temperature up 500 and baked her biscuits. Only time that I remember having hickory-smoked buttermilk biscuits. :)

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Others have touched on it already but the big green egg really is worth it. It's extremely easy and there is so much stuff you can do with it. Accessories get addicting.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's why I'd like to have one made,so I can do stuff like that. I like to cook and entertain especially during football season. From what I gather that's why to go by having a gas burner make the wood smolder like that. Hey when you get time post a pic of your cooker I'm looking for ideas.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
That's why I'd like to have one made,so I can do stuff like that. I like to cook and entertain especially during football season. From what I gather that's why to go by having a gas burner make the wood smolder like that. Hey when you get time post a pic of your cooker I'm looking for ideas.
My brother in law's dad has a cooker similar to yours and he too was telling me how good a steak he could cook on his.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

#18.1

grengadgy commented
[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Today, 08:33 PM[/COLOR]

I had one made by a welding shop in Cairo Ga. I loved it. It had a gas fire starter for the wood logs. Easy to control the temperature from 125 to 700 degrees by dampers on rhe firebox and on the smokestack. It will ruin you for any other kind of smoker. Not for small jobs though, when I fired it up I cooked for a crowd or for the week for my family. And becaose you could cook so hot, it would do mean steak. I even baked some home-made buttermilk biscuits once when the power went out while I was smoking meat. My wife was fussing so I finished the ribs and raised the temperature up 500 and baked her biscuits. Only time that I remember having hickory-smoked buttermilk biscuits. :)

Gren
If you like a tender buscuit,try making Cathead Biscuits from Cooks Country. It calls for cake flour but I think that makes them too soft, so I use White Lily flour. Plus these are real simple.
link http://foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/07/cathead-biscuits-say-what.html

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter said:

#18.1

grengadgy commented
[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Today, 08:33 PM[/COLOR]

Gren
If you like a tender buscuit,try making Cathead Biscuits from Cooks Country. It calls for cake flour but I think that makes them too soft, so I use White Lily flour. Plus these are real simple.
link http://foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/07/cathead-biscuits-say-what.html
Thanks, My wife does use White Lily SR flour for her biscuits. They make a soft biscuit because it's winter wheat. B. :)

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
I have Sonny's BBQ for all my needs.
If you have a chance to pick up some Dickey's BBQ you will never step foot into another Sonny's again. I use to be Sonny's biggest fan, but it has really dropped off in the last 5 - 10 years. About the only ones that I will eat in any more are Bushnell, Waldo Road (original) and Alachua. Any out of state are not really worth visiting.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a Kingsford charcoal with a side fire box. I have had it for a couple of years now and really just getting it figured out. I ate the meat from all of the tries though and nothing too bad. I have started to really get the chicken down, but have not tried any larger cuts yet. I need to get a brisket and a butt or two and get busy though.

I have a friend with 2 XL BGE's and he does some amazing work with them. Too bad he's a bama fan, still like him though, his food makes up for the short coming.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
playzwtrux said:
I have a Kingsford charcoal with a side fire box. I have had it for a couple of years now and really just getting it figured out. I ate the meat from all of the tries though and nothing too bad. I have started to really get the chicken down, but have not tried any larger cuts yet. I need to get a brisket and a butt or two and get busy though.

I have a friend with 2 XL BGE's and he does some amazing work with them. Too bad he's a bama fan, still like him though, his food makes up for the short coming.
Best thing to do is to get after it. I would recommend just cooking a few butts first because a brisket is pretty expensive, especially if you haven't really cooked anything big on it

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know of any local bbq contest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.