• Lose by 10+

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Florida wins 77-62. Florida ran a lot more in the 2nd half and St. Bonaventure wore down. Also, had a lot more plays going inside and out for open looks and easy 2pters. Really completely different design in the 2nd half and the offense finally looked good again. Keep the momentum going and get Hudson and Allen on fire from the start

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Was looking forward to checking in after a big win. Not disappointed with this thread. Went down as expected....lots of White sucks/team sucks.

Somewhat surprised with all the posts about the start time of the game. Good Lord...what time do you guys go to bed? I haven’t gone to bed that early in decades when my parents gave me a bedtime. Then again I’m a 4-6 hour a night sleeper max.

We controlled about 32 of the 40 minutes. Even the stretch in the first half where we struggled it was due mostly to wide open looks not going down. These shots were not rushed or forced. They were mostly good shots well within the flow.

We don’t go to our bigs inside to score against the zone because they all have bad hands. Real bad. Bassett is becoming our best hope for an inside presence and has demonstrated a willingness to shoot facing the basket. Unfortunately he has difficulty staying out of foul trouble.

First half we drove to the basket but had trouble finishing and had several blocked. 2nd half we converted more of our drives.

Played well defensively all night but I was most impressed with the team defense. Boys really worked well together all night.

Chiozza had an off night shooting but kept the ball moving with 11 assists. Stone had several solid offensive boards. Hudson kept grinding through all the early misses. Egor...despite all the criticism...was solid with 20/6. I love the way Okauru has developed into a key role player on both ends of the court.

I dont know how far this team will go but I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Played with poise and confidence.

Start Bassett.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ok, lets turn this to TxTech. They played 10 players in their opening game all of them playing 9 minutes or more:

The TxTech starters in their opening game with their season averages not including the opening round game:

PG: Evans, 6'3" 175 lbs, SR, 29.1 min, 17.5 pts, 3.1 assists, 3.0 boards per game, 31.4% on 3s
SG: Culver, 6'5" 190 lbs, FR, 26.5 min, 11.7 pts, 4.7 boards per game 40.8% on 3s
SF: Gray, 6'5" 185 lbs, SR, 20.9 min, 5.0 pts and 3.4 boards per game, 27.3% on 3s
PF: Zh. Smith, 6'5" 210 lbs, FR, 27.9 min, 11.1 pts, 4.6 boards per game, 41.9% on 3s
C: Odiase, 6'9" 265 lbs JR, 15.6 min, 4.1 pts, 4.7 boards per game. This is the guy who played only 9 minutes in their first round game.

The five other players who played were:

C: Hamilton, 6'11" 255 lbs, SR, 15.0 min, 5.8 pts and 3.2 boards per game, 39.7% on 3s
PF: Za. Smith, 6'8" 210 lbs, SR, 20.6 min, 6.0 points, 3.8 boards per game 25% on 3s
SG: Francis, 6'5" 205 lbs, RJR, 15.7 min, 5.3 pts, 2.0 boards per game, 39.2% on 3s. You know him, but it looks like he has adjust and gotten his shot in order since leaving UF.
SF: Stevenson, 6'5" 205 lbs, SR, 20.2 min, 7.5 pts, 3.1 boards per game, 41.3% on 3s
PG: Moretti, 6'3" 165 lbs, FR, 12.3 min, 3.0 pts and 1.0 assists per game, 31.5% on 3s

This is a deep balanced team. UF will need to defend the arc like UF did in the opening round. UF will need to rebound better. Size wise they are similar to UF.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Ok, lets turn this to TxTech. They played 10 players in their opening game all of them playing 9 minutes or more:

The TxTech starters in their opening game with their season averages not including the opening round game:

PG: Evans, 6'3" 175 lbs, SR, 29.1 min, 17.5 pts, 3.1 assists, 3.0 boards per game, 31.4% on 3s
SG: Culver, 6'5" 190 lbs, FR, 26.5 min, 11.7 pts, 4.7 boards per game 40.8% on 3s
SF: Gray, 6'5" 185 lbs, SR, 20.9 min, 27.3% on 3s
PF: Zh. Smith, 6'5" 210 lbs, FR, 27.9 min, 11.1 pts, 4.6 boards per game, 41.9% on 3s
C: Odiase, 6'9" 265 lbs JR, 15.6 min, 4.1 pts, 4.7 boards per game. This is the guy who played only 9 minutes in their first round game.

The five other players who played were:

C: Hamilton, 6'11" 255 lbs, SR, 15.0 min, 5.8 pts and 3.2 boards per game, 39.7% on 3s
PF: Za. Smith, 6'8" 210 lbs, SR, 20.6 min, 6.0 points, 3.8 boards per game 25% on 3s
SG: Francis, 6'5" 205 lbs, RJR, 15.7 min, 5.3 pts, 2.0 boards per game, 39.2% on 3s. You know him, but it looks like he has adjust and gotten his shot in order since leaving UF.
Stevenson, 6'5" 205 lbs, SR, 20.2 min, 7.5 pts, 3.1 boards per game, 41.3% on 3s
Moretti, 6'3" 165 lbs, FR, 12.3 min, 3.0 pts and 1.0 assists per game, 31.5% on 3s

This is a deep balanced team. UF will need to defend the arc like UF did in the opening round. UF will need to rebound better. Size wise they are similar to UF.

Good info. Thanks.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Well worth staying up past midnight for this W. Feels especially good knowing how many people picked against us (looking at you Seth Davis).
You don't have to look that far. Half our fans picked against us. On the other hand I knew we had a big advantage. UCLA would have been an even easier win.

TX Tech sux too, even though every dumbass talking head will be picking them. They are very limited offensively. Vegas knows where it's at though and we will be the favorites in this game. Big advantage Gators honestly. Only thing is, with the game in Dallas, it's going to be basically a home game for them and we'll probably be struggling against the refs once again. Still, I like our odds for a double digit win and moving on to the sweet 16.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I stayed up and watched it. I loved how their all world guards would dribble and dribble and dribble and then dribble between their legs 6 times each time they faced up with our guys. It was so impressive. Def wins early tournament games. Then they get into the flow of new courts and lighting. I wish Allen or Hudson would get some of the three tries that egor does and then he finally hits a huge one or gets that rebound and you finally breathe easier. Egor plays like he is 6 8. Anyone know the Friday game time yet.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’ve had a long week and couldn’t last past halftime. Went to sleep thinking they’d had a rough shooting night but were playing tough defense. Very happy to see the second half went so well.

When they play like that they are tough to beat. When they play like that and shoot better they can beat anyone.

A good season so far. One more win and it’s a “banner” year.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Good win. This team can beat anyone and lose to almost anyone. The first half was scary because St. B was playing terribly and we nearly matched them. But throughout the game our guys played pretty solid defense. They moved the ball better the 2nd half, plus the players had more motion on the offensive end and got inside much better. Not a great shooting night, but ended up a relatively easy win. Hard to figure game to game what to expect, but there's potential to win a couple more games.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
We controlled about 32 of the 40 minutes. Even the stretch in the first half where we struggled it was due mostly to wide open looks not going down. These shots were not rushed or forced. They were mostly good shots well within the flow.
And those wide open looks were wide open BRICKS. I imagine the rim had to be adjusted at halftime. :lol2: They were good shots but I kept thinking, "Damn, these shots aren't even close!" But shooters gotta shoot which they kept doing and they started falling in the second half. It's funny now, wasn't laughing so much last night. In my opinion we won't advance with another half like that first one.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Great 2nd Half and Win Gators. Survive and advance.
"Survive and advance." is exactly what I said to a fellow Gator. Ironically while sitting in the hotel room the night before I watched the ESPN 30 for 30 of the same name about the '83 NC State team.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Why can't we work it in for a good 2 point shot?

We have not been developed at the teamwork to think on, look for, execute this "inside game". Those Good, strong hands can be S&C-trained. Should be trained & relied on for at least a decent % of our total score. That is the truth about a balanced talent team. Watching this game, even when St. Bonn tied us, I still believed that we would win. But as I saw sideways pretentious passing, I resented our total lack of "breakers" toward the basket. Our attack put zero pressure towards breaking down their D-alignment. Doing so, we allowed them to easily keep us back behind the arc, where that "do or die' more risky scoring becomes required.

Insti's description was very good. The Gatirs played with grit. But in this better-teams tourney where the coaches bring extra-fire, our ignoring that game-controlling inside threat & surer scoring looks like the "handwriting on the wall" announcing our unnecissary elimination. Great win, when our shooting % was bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.