Offseason Insight

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
First off, I am going to be purposefully vague about identities. What is said off the record should stay that way. However, I don't think it hurts to share the information as long as no one is identified.

I have told you guys before that my job brings me into frequent contact with athletes in all sports and also personnel from the UAA. Every now and then I form a friendship with some of them. Recently (since the spring game) I hung out and had a few drinks with a recent former player that was drafted and a player that was on the 2016 team. They had some interesting insight into the football program.

Both of them think that Mac and Nussmieir have an offense that can score big, but is just a QB away. They both also think that all the offensive pieces are in place and we just need a QB.

They both think that Franks is the guy that can get it done, but they both also think he is a year away. The 2016 player thinks Trask is better.

They both like Grier, but absolutely 100% think kicking him off the team was the right thing to do. Mentioning his dad sent both of their eyes rolling. They were adamant that despite his talent he could not remain on the team. They got animated when discussing this. They did not offer any explanation and I did not ask.

Neither of them thought Summers was a good coach. They think his coaching style produces soft players. Specifically, the guy that got drafted said the OL coach should tell the line "these are my starters, if you want a job then knock them out of the starting position." They think the line was soft last year.

They told me that Callaway has all the talent in the world, but he is lazy. According to them he doesn't work hard on his own or in practice. One of them said drafting Callaway would be a mistake. The 2016 player repeatedly pointed out Callaway catching kickoffs inside the 5 yard line. Nord was never mentioned by either of them.

Both of them said that Muschamp is a good assistant coach, but should not be a head coach.

The drafted player told me that he thinks Mac will be at Florida for at least 7 or 8 years and will compete for championships. The 2016 player told me that Mac will win an NC at Florida.

Take it for what it's worth, but they are honest opinions from the inside with nothing to gain or hide.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First off, I am going to be purposefully vague about identities. What is said off the record should stay that way. However, I don't think it hurts to share the information as long as no one is identified.

I have told you guys before that my job brings me into frequent contact with athletes in all sports and also personnel from the UAA. Every now and then I form a friendship with some of them. Recently (since the spring game) I hung out and had a few drinks with a recent former player that was drafted and a player that was on the 2016 team. They had some interesting insight into the football program.

Both of them think that Mac and Nussmieir have an offense that can score big, but is just a QB away. They both also think that all the offensive pieces are in place and we just need a QB.

They both think that Franks is the guy that can get it done, but they both also think he is a year away. The 2016 player thinks Trask is better.

They both like Grier, but absolutely 100% think kicking him off the team was the right thing to do. Mentioning his dad sent both of their eyes rolling. They were adamant that despite his talent he could not remain on the team. They got animated when discussing this. They did not offer any explanation and I did not ask.

Neither of them thought Summers was a good coach. They think his coaching style produces soft players. Specifically, the guy that got drafted said the OL coach should tell the line "these are my starters, if you want a job then knock them out of the starting position." They think the line was soft last year.

They told me that Callaway has all the talent in the world, but he is lazy. According to them he doesn't work hard on his own or in practice. One of them said drafting Callaway would be a mistake. The 2016 player repeatedly pointed out Callaway catching kickoffs inside the 5 yard line. Nord was never mentioned by either of them.

Both of them said that Muschamp is a good assistant coach, but should not be a head coach.

The drafted player told me that he thinks Mac will be at Florida for at least 7 or 8 years and will compete for championships. The 2016 player told me that Mac will win an NC at Florida.

Take it for what it's worth, but they are honest opinions from the inside with nothing to gain or hide.

Nice info, Karen, but you should get some sleep....

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

Thank you for the insight, 2222. A suggestion: when expressing Mac may be around for 7 to 8 years you might identify the local suicide-prevention help line as a public service to those fed up with Coach McElwain.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
.Both of them think that Mac and Nussmieir have an offense that can score big, but is just a QB away. They both also think that all the offensive pieces are in place and we just need a QB.
Yeah, youve said this repeatedly before. I am not real impressed with the opinions of people at UAA. Its like asking WH staffers how the President is doing. The same people were madly in love with Chimp even after it was beyond obvious how terrible he is.

Yeah, I knew pumpers would quickly fall back to "maybe next year" bc we are "just one more year away". Starting now shows you know what this year is going to be like.

So if Mr. Terrible rolls out another 116th offense, we are still just a QB away, right? His resume when he arrived was "one of the worst OCs in the country" and he has fully lived up to it.

Nusschamp has already had the most stocked offenses in the country, even ones well suited to run his just bash the middle offense and he failed drastically.

Sorry, I dont buy it. Not even a little bit.

Last edited:

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Thanks for posting, interesting post.

Well, I certainly agree that Summers SUCKED as OL Coach and I am very glad that tool is now gone. I can only hope the new OL Coach is an improvement. We go no where without a solid OL.

I too think we are more than one QB away from being good on Offense. NussChump also SUCKS as evidenced by our offensive futility in his two years as OC.There are many improvement that can be made to this horrendous offense.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't buy the year away stuff with Franks. He will have had 2 Springs and 2 camps and recent years have shown these good QBs either have it as RS Freshman or they don't within a few games. There usually is no real big time jump after that like there is with True Freshman. We need to see what we have with him if LDR is the only other option.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Yeah, youve said this repeatedly before. I am not real impressed with the opinions of people.at UAA. Its like asking WH staffers how the President is doing. The same people were madly in love with Chimp even after it was beyond obvious how terrible he is.

Yeah, I knew pumpers would quickly fall back to "maybe next year" bc we are "just one more year away". Starting now shows you know what this year is going to be like.

So if Mr. Terrible rolls out another 116th offense, we are still just a QB away, right? His resume when he arrived was "one of the worst OCs in the country" and he has fully lived up to it.

Nusschamp has already had the most stocked offenses in the country, even ones well suited to run his just bash the middle offense and he failed drastically.

Sorry, I dont buy it. Not even a little bit.

As stated in the original post, these are former players not staffers. I personally think the offense will be improved this year. However, hearing them say that is a bit disheartening.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Thank you for the insight, 2222. A suggestion: when expressing Mac may be around for 7 to 8 years you might identify the local suicide-prevention help line as a public service to those fed up with Coach McElwain.

If he has success I would expect him to be around more than that time frame, after all where would he want to go and why retire early? Now if improvement is not coming he will be fired before his current deal is over.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don't buy the year away stuff with Franks. He will have had 2 Springs and 2 camps and recent years have shown these good QBs either have it as RS Freshman or they don't within a few games. There usually is no real big time jump after that like there is with True Freshman. We need to see what we have with him if LDR is the only other option.

But LDR is not the only other alternative. Trask is an option and I keep hearing about a transfer as well.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
But LDR is not the only other alternative. Trask is an option and I keep hearing about a transfer as well.

I think our best option is Zaire now after watching the Spring game but if he goes somewhere else I would rather see what Franks is going to do and make a change after that if you have to. Trask certainly didn't make you think he could be some big surprise but he was thrown to the wolves for the most part early in that game while Franks was given everything on a silver platter almost and still looked ordinary. I think Toney looked better than he actually is also due to making plays against walk ons.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think our best option is Zaire now after watching the Spring game but if he goes somewhere else I would rather see what Franks is going to do and make a change after that if you have to. Trask certainly didn't make you think he could be some big surprise but he was thrown to the wolves for the most part early in that game while Franks was given everything on a silver platter almost and still looked ordinary. I think Toney looked better than he actually is also due to making plays against walk ons.

Great post Fever. You nailed it. None of the QBs really impressed me. I agree that Franks was given everything on a silver platter vs. Trask being thrown to the wolves. I also agree you can't really judge Toney based on play against 3rd stringers.

Del Rio looked better with his silver platter last year than Franks did this year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Thanks for the info... it is always nice to hear different perspectives. Hopefully this team comes through with an improved offense this year.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016

There are lots of examples of guys that improved drastically after their sophomore season. As a sophomore Joshua Dobbs averaged 6.3 yards per attempt with 9 TDs and 6 INTs. As a senior he averaged 8.3 yards per attempt with 27 TDs and 12 INTs. Brandon Allen of Arkansas averaged 6 yards per attempt with 13 TDs and 10 INTs as a sophomore. In his senior season he averaged 9.9 yards per attempt with 30 TDs and 8 INTs. His QB rating jumped 57.5 points from his sophomore season to his senior year. As a sophomore Dak Prescott threw 10 TDs and 7 INTs. As a senior Dak threw 29 TDs and 5 INTs. Even Danny Wuerffel was getting benched as a sophomore when he threw 18 TDs and 9 INTS.

It's not just a coincidence that Bowden's run of top 5 finishes featured a string of QBs that didn't start until they were juniors.

I think Franks can be successful this season. However, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he will show great improvement between his redshirt freshman season and his sophomore season.

I agree with you in that I would rather take some bumps playing Franks than return to LDR.

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are lots of examples of guys that improved drastically after their sophomore season. As a sophomore Joshua Dobbs averaged 6.3 yards per attempt with 9 TDs and 6 INTs. As a senior he averaged 8.3 yards per attempt with 27 TDs and 12 INTs. Brandon Allen of Arkansas averaged 6 yards per attempt with 13 TDs and 10 INTs as a sophomore. In his senior season he averaged 9.9 yards per attempt with 30 TDs and 8 INTs. His QB rating jumped 57.5 points from his sophomore season to his senior year. As a sophomore Dak Prescott threw 10 TDs and 7 INTs. As a senior Dak threw 29 TDs and 5 INTs. Even Danny Wuerffel was getting benched as a sophomore when he threw 18 TDs and 9 INTS.

It's not just a coincidence that Bowden's run of top 5 finishes featured a string of QBs that didn't start until they were juniors.

I think Franks can be successful this season. However, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he will show great improvement between his redshirt freshman season and his sophomore season.

I agree with you in that I would rather take some bumps playing Franks than return to LDR.

I agree with this. Franks could end up being a very good QB for us, but it will take him another year or two to get there. Unfortunately, I think he's our best option right now even though he isn't necessarily ready.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for taking the time to post '2222. It's always nice to read some different thoughts...

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2222 and 4224 were the same ones that said RIMMER should start for our basketball team so more nonsense from them!!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I always enjoy posts like these. That said, Franks is a RFR. Other RFR QBs in UF history include Bell, Grossman etc. At any position if a RFR with no one in front of him is not ready to play, then you must wonder if he ever will be. Some do develop late, but in general you know what you have with a RFR. (Dobbs was a true Soph close to the same thing as a RFR when he showed improvement.

Technically, McElwain has already competed for championships at UF and is starting his 3rd season. Him getting to 7, sorry SD, seasons is not hard to imagine so that statement is not so encouraging to me.

As for Callaway, he could be following a common path. He established he is an NFL talent as a FR. He coasted a bit as a Soph. It is his money year so I would not be surprised for him to have as big a year as possible given the UF QB situation in this his money year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I agree with this. Franks could end up being a very good QB for us, but it will take him another year or two to get there. Unfortunately, I think he's our best option right now even though he isn't necessarily ready.

Agree. And this is why we should take our lumps this year w/ him. Look what FSU, South Carolina, Alabama, and UGA did last year. They will be better offensively this year because of it, while we're in panic mode. If we're going to lose 4 games/year (getting blown out in several) we might as well do it w/ possibly "the future" instead of doing it w/ a bandaid option.

Franks should be the starter unless it's painfully obvious he doesn't have it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb