Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wait till next year!
Wait til Next Year!!!!

I prefer to hear:

Fire Butters!

clap clap clap-clap-clap

We know how its done and will be ready to get rid of Mushchump Part 2 very quickly.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There are lots of examples of guys that improved drastically after their sophomore season. As a sophomore Joshua Dobbs averaged 6.3 yards per attempt with 9 TDs and 6 INTs. As a senior he averaged 8.3 yards per attempt with 27 TDs and 12 INTs. Brandon Allen of Arkansas averaged 6 yards per attempt with 13 TDs and 10 INTs as a sophomore. In his senior season he averaged 9.9 yards per attempt with 30 TDs and 8 INTs. His QB rating jumped 57.5 points from his sophomore season to his senior year. As a sophomore Dak Prescott threw 10 TDs and 7 INTs. As a senior Dak threw 29 TDs and 5 INTs. Even Danny Wuerffel was getting benched as a sophomore when he threw 18 TDs and 9 INTS.

It's not just a coincidence that Bowden's run of top 5 finishes featured a string of QBs that didn't start until they were juniors.

I think Franks can be successful this season. However, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he will show great improvement between his redshirt freshman season and his sophomore season.

I agree with you in that I would rather take some bumps playing Franks than return to LDR.

There are more examples of RS Freshman having nice numbers and major improvement not being made after the first few games. They were showing playoff/BCS game QBs of recent years and I was shocked how many that was the case. Some even declined a little actually if they had really good numbers. For the most part with a good one you know as a RS Freshman whether they will pan out if they play most of that season. Their numbers will at least be decent.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. And this is why we should take our lumps this year w/ him. Look what FSU, South Carolina, Alabama, and UGA did last year. They will be better offensively this year because of it, while we're in panic mode. If we're going to lose 4 games/year (getting blown out in several) we might as well do it w/ possibly "the future" instead of doing it w/ a bandaid option.

Franks should be the starter unless it's painfully obvious he doesn't have it...

We should have taken our lumps with him last year vs. starting Appleby

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
About the offense, I think the scheme has a ton of potential. We need a QB desperately and an improvement on the line, but the potential is there, the system is good.

Gripe about coaching all you want, but the system should work well with a good QB

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
About the offense, I think the scheme has a ton of potential. We need a QB desperately and an improvement on the line, but the potential is there, the system is good.

Gripe about coaching all you want, but the system should work well with a good QB
If only the staff was capable of recruiting and developing one.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I always enjoy posts like these. That said, Franks is a RFR. Other RFR QBs in UF history include Bell, Grossman etc. At any position if a RFR with no one in front of him is not ready to play, then you must wonder if he ever will be. Some do develop late, but in general you know what you have with a RFR. (Dobbs was a true Soph close to the same thing as a RFR when he showed improvement.

Technically, McElwain has already competed for championships at UF and is starting his 3rd season. Him getting to 7, sorry SD, seasons is not hard to imagine so that statement is not so encouraging to me.

As for Callaway, he could be following a common path. He established he is an NFL talent as a FR. He coasted a bit as a Soph. It is his money year so I would not be surprised for him to have as big a year as possible given the UF QB situation in this his money year.
Louis Murphy burned a scholly for 3 years before he figured out the work ethic required to be successful. Let's hope Callaway figures out he'll need to put in some serious work to make it at the next level.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grier was the best QB we have had around here in many years and, even with Grier, we were not a top 50 offense...

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
2222 and 4224 were the same ones that said RIMMER should start for our basketball team so more nonsense from them!!

I think you have me confused with someone else. I honestly don't think I have ever posted about basketball.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Great, post, 2222. I appreciate the info and insight you bring to the board, and always look forward to your posts.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I agree with this. Franks could end up being a very good QB for us, but it will take him another year or two to get there. Unfortunately, I think he's our best option right now even though he isn't necessarily ready.

I don't see why it takes years? So is he going to get much better at delivering the ball due to either being stronger or having a better technique? If that is it then a summer or fall should be plenty of time.

If it is learning to read defenses then time spent watching film or having a better coach is the answer. If watching film does it again summer and fall is plenty. We are not getting a new QB coach any time soon.

If it takes reps then he can run drills during the summer quite a bit, both QBs need to run camp during the summer.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The negatives are blatantly visible. However, we have not seen Franks' total worth. = when pressed Franks' can take off and run it well. MacNuss are pounding it into his head to not choose to run, don't run throw the pass. In a real game Franks' will have drive-saving runs. You just watch.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I want Mac to develop a QB, but I want it right now!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see why it takes years? So is he going to get much better at delivering the ball due to either being stronger or having a better technique? If that is it then a summer or fall should be plenty of time.

You have to remember Franks wasn't the average QB prospect. He got basically zero QB coaching at his highschool. Our coaches knew he was a project. A project with a huge ceiling for sure, but still a project. Most of us expected it to be 2-3 years before he was ready to face an SEC schedule.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Hilarious. Any comment saying "I want it now" going into a coach's third year is just flat ridiculous.

I want it now...three years later.

Make it stop. Please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator