Ok I need some advise...

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Well to be honest I have gotten a lot of advice from some very smart people, but I thought I scrape the bottom of the barrel and ask you guys...LOL

Ok so the Army has offered me a promotion to Master Sergeant (MSG) (E-8) and the position of First Sergeant (1SG). For those that don't know, that means that I will be in charge of the a large amount of Soldiers (about 150-200), and be the Commanders right hand man. This was my goal when I came back into the Army to after my break in service. However with life things change. Here is my dilemma.

Last year I finished my MS in Occupational Safety in Health, and I am currently studying for two National Certification in the field of safety (Associate Safety Professional and Certified Safety Professional). With my job experience in the Army and the certifications; my research shows that I should start off between $90-120K in the safety field as a civilian.

The difference in retirement pay if were to stay in, take the promotion, and the required additional 3 years is about $6500 a year. If I take the retirement and get a job at six figures it will about double my current pay. The promotion will require me to move to Maryland, and my family kind of really like San Antonio, TX.

Thoughts?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Well to be honest I have gotten a lot of advice from some very smart people, but I thought I scrape the bottom of the barrel and ask you guys...LOL

Ok so the Army has offered me a promotion to Master Sergeant (MSG) (E-8) and the position of First Sergeant (1SG). For those that don't know, that means that I will be in charge of the a large amount of Soldiers (about 150-200), and be the Commanders right hand man. This was my goal when I came back into the Army to after my break in service. However with life things change. Here is my dilemma.

Last year I finished my MS in Occupational Safety in Health, and I am currently studying for two National Certification in the field of safety (Associate Safety Professional and Certified Safety Professional). With my job experience in the Army and the certifications; my research shows that I should start off between $90-120K in the safety field as a civilian.

The difference in retirement pay if were to stay in, take the promotion, and the required additional 3 years is about $6500 a year. If I take the retirement and get a job at six figures it will about double my current pay. The promotion will require me to move to Maryland, and my family kind of really like San Antonio, TX.

Thoughts?

Post this in the PF. I think some of those guys would be really helpful to you.

Alex.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I was thinking about that but I thought it might get kicked to here...I will go ahead and do it

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was thinking about that but I thought it might get kicked to here...I will go ahead and do it
Nah, I would have left it. In fact, I could have just moved this thread to the PF, but i see you already started the other in the PF.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok...do you want to delete this post then?
I was actually going to ask you if you wanted me to do that lol. You're welcome to leave it up if you like, otherwise I can get rid of it for you. I can just move it to solitary so you keep the post count

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I was actually going to ask you if you wanted me to do that lol. You're welcome to leave it up if you like, otherwise I can get rid of it for you. I can just move it to solitary so you keep the post count
I think you can move it to the solitary. I am not that important to have it up in two places

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.