Old School toys and games

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What toys and video games and board games did you play when you were a kid?

Atari, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64

He-man, Transformers, GI Joe, Star Wars, Micro Machines, Legos

Chutes and Ladders, Connect 4, Monopoly, Mouse trap, Candyland, Sorry

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I expected you to say you played monopoly and OWNED the key properties, then used your army men and DESTROYED the star wars characters.

=================

Answers are age/era dependent, obviously.

For me, mom made us play scrabble a lot (that, with my love of reading, has brought me a pretty wide vocabulary). But other than that, we didn't do board games much. Never really got into action figures much, but ran a set of micronauts for awhile. I suppose the one thing I did actually invest time in and use for years was my lego sets (space kits, primarily). I did lose a LOT of time on Atari when it came out, and over the following years until I got into the TRS-80 and pc games.

All I have a weak answers for the most part. My youth was mostly outdoors riding bikes around town or playing soccer.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah we played a lot of sports before, during, and after school especially in middle school. We would shoot hoops or throw the football around or play wiffle ball before school. We would have street ball basketball and football games in the neighborhood after school. Sometimes we would ride our bikes down to the local bowling alley and play video games and bowl. There was an arcade down the road from us called Starbucks back in the day. It was before the coffee shop we know today...

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Barrel of Monkeys, Battleship, Risk, Stratego and “get your butt outside”.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
What we did in the early eighties you would never see 10-12 yr olds do today.

We had a huge lake dug out to build homes in Wellington around 1981. We built ramps right next to the waters edge. We all had bmx bikes and we attached empty clorox and pepsi bottles to the bike frames. After some extra grease on the chain we would get up to full speed and launch ourselves into the lake. We spent hours and hours doing this. Over time the ramps got bigger and bigger. When it was time to come home one of moms would blow an air horn and we would all head back home from the lake.

The best of times.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We played with slot cars alot. Man did we make some amazing tracks. Upgrades to the tires were crucial, as was the correct type of sandpaper for the contact pads. Nothing beats the smell of that electrical ozone and that sound of the special cracking/popping they made.

There are a few HUGE slot car arenas in the country. Always thought it would be neat to visit one.
G16_Dallas_Slot_Cars_3-e1442932220123.jpg

Ours were more like this:
slotcar.jpg

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
By day: Tonka trucks then graduated to Dirt bomb wars & BB gun fights.
At night: hide-n-seek then bottle rocket wars

I vaguely remember playing pong on some console game once. I lived outdoors as a kid. Hated having to hear those words "Time to come inside."

I did have a race car track and the game Battleship. Played lots of gin rummy when the weather was bad.

Those were the days....

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Reading some comments - yeah, I forgot I liked Risk and Stratego a bit. Though, only my dad would play with me, and he traveled a lot.

4th grade my group of friends played gin rummy a LOT in class when we got breaks.

I forgot I also had a great collection of Matchbox cars (still have most of them, though my kids raided them and lost/destroyed a lot of them). Didn't have much use for tracks, just ran them on anything.

And for a few years, I had a track pretty much like that (maybe a little less complex). Dad put it on 4x8 plywood and rigged it with ropes through eye-bolts in my ceiling so I could raise/lower it over my bed for storage or use. I think he liked it more than me.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Board games: Life, Clue, Risk
Card games: Milles Bourne, Uno, Spades
Video games: Asteroids, Galaga, Tank Commander

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We played with slot cars alot. Man did we make some amazing tracks. Upgrades to the tires were crucial, as was the correct type of sandpaper for the contact pads. Nothing beats the smell of that electrical ozone and that sound of the special cracking/popping they made.

There are a few HUGE slot car arenas in the country. Always thought it would be neat to visit one.
G16_Dallas_Slot_Cars_3-e1442932220123.jpg

Ours were more like this:
slotcar.jpg
Yeah, we loved AFX cars (bottom pic), and we had a couple of those huge ones in Detroit and there was still one near us in Atlanta when I lived there 2000-2004

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.