Ole Miss Plays Freshman QB Shea Patterson, beats A&M

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
If a freshman is good enough to play, there is no reason not to let him play, even start. With so many players leaving early or transferring, red shirting a talented player should not be automatic. One thing about giving a Fr playing time this season is that he will be much more experienced the following season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Patterson was college ready before he ended his senior year of high school, was a top 10 national player.
We used to get several of the top 10 kids and never lost players to OLD FVKKING MISS.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Those other schools, playing freshman QBs....they have better talent and offensive coaches than we do, apparently.
They have by far superior talent/coaching staff's....Plus the guys who are playing early are "Game Changers" and none of the guys we have currently fit that title.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
You give such short responses to a lot of things, primarily showing your disapproval. I'd love to hear your personal thoughts on the state of the program and its future.
I generally dont give much in response because the willingness to have dialogue around here is generally short. It has been hashed out many times, people fall on one of two sides, either you are dumping on the program, coach, AD or you are some type of blind sunshine pumper and therefore and idiot and probably a liberal.
My opinion on the state of the program? I think it is better than it was under Muschamp. I don't think it is great, or where it needs to be. I do see signs of progress. I see investment in infrastructure that coincided with Mac's arrival. I do see a general positive vibe. I love the Gators, and even if they were winless, I would still support them (I had this conversation with an FSU fan as he was mocking me for our loss). I believe in waiting until the season is over before we start making final determinations on the value of the coaching staff. Are there concerns, absolutely. I would like to see some wins on the recruiting trail. Less silly penalties. More fire coming out in the second half. I would like to see our losses be more competitive. But we havent lost a game we are obviously supposed to win. I understand criticism, but most times, criticism here is almost actively wishing failure. Calling coaches and players names is ridiculous. I am not a conspiracy theorist, these guys are trying to win, I do not believe anyone is purposefully trying to tank the program or season. Take this start a freshman thing. There is no logical reason. The most popular reason stated is that we need to get them "ready for the future". Well that implies that there is nothing to play for now. Last time I checked we are still playing for a SEC east championship. You play to win the games now. The best player to win the games now is one of the older players LDR or Appleby (unless you fall in the conspiracy camp and dont believe the coaches). The players know this, they are in practice. What if the coach starts one of the freshman to "get them ready"? What is the message to the rest of the players and especially seniors that are still fighting to try and win a championship? The players would quit trying if that was the case. I didnt see that Saturday.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I generally dont give much in response because the willingness to have dialogue around here is generally short. It has been hashed out many times, people fall on one of two sides, either you are dumping on the program, coach, AD or you are some type of blind sunshine pumper and therefore and idiot and probably a liberal.
My opinion on the state of the program? I think it is better than it was under Muschamp. I don't think it is great, or where it needs to be. I do see signs of progress. I see investment in infrastructure that coincided with Mac's arrival. I do see a general positive vibe. I love the Gators, and even if they were winless, I would still support them (I had this conversation with an FSU fan as he was mocking me for our loss). I believe in waiting until the season is over before we start making final determinations on the value of the coaching staff. Are there concerns, absolutely. I would like to see some wins on the recruiting trail. Less silly penalties. More fire coming out in the second half. I would like to see our losses be more competitive. But we havent lost a game we are obviously supposed to win. I understand criticism, but most times, criticism here is almost actively wishing failure. Calling coaches and players names is ridiculous. I am not a conspiracy theorist, these guys are trying to win, I do not believe anyone is purposefully trying to tank the program or season. Take this start a freshman thing. There is no logical reason. The most popular reason stated is that we need to get them "ready for the future". Well that implies that there is nothing to play for now. Last time I checked we are still playing for a SEC east championship. You play to win the games now. The best player to win the games now is one of the older players LDR or Appleby (unless you fall in the conspiracy camp and dont believe the coaches). The players know this, they are in practice. What if the coach starts one of the freshman to "get them ready"? What is the message to the rest of the players and especially seniors that are still fighting to try and win a championship? The players would quit trying if that was the case. I didnt see that Saturday.
Too long. Didn't read. :dance:

Just kidding. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I'm one for starting a freshman now. However, I'm also one that doesn't assume that starting a freshman now means we're going to get our brains beat in. Who is to say we wouldn't be a BETTER offense NOW with one of the hotshot freshman gunslingers in there? In other words, I don't view it as surrendering the season because we're starting a freshman. It's not like LDR and AA are all-world QB's. It's also not like we're on the brink of winning an SEC Championship. If I felt we could beat Bama, it may be another story. I simply don't.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes a coin flip gets the job done!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Very nice post cu-uf. I registered just to commend you on it.
I'm giving you a like for registering, not for commending Cuff.

Post often and bring your friends!!!

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Too long. Didn't read. :dance:

Just kidding. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I'm one for starting a freshman now. However, I'm also one that doesn't assume that starting a freshman now means we're going to get our brains beat in. Who is to say we wouldn't be a BETTER offense NOW with one of the hotshot freshman gunslingers in there? In other words, I don't view it as surrendering the season because we're starting a freshman. It's not like LDR and AA are all-world QB's. It's also not like we're on the brink of winning an SEC Championship. If I felt we could beat Bama, it may be another story. I simply don't.
Right, I understand what you are saying. But then you must think that the coaching staff is either inadequate (which may be true) or they are purposefully throwing the season. Because the coaching staff evaluates the players in practice. You have to believe that they are going to put the best player on the field. Now after the arkansas game I was going to say it was time to change qbs because it was obvious the team needed a spark regardless of what they saw in practice. They went with their next best player, Appleby. The offense definitely had more spark saturday and I didnt see anything that would suggest a strong need to try something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator