One of the greatest Gator posts of all time

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was reminiscing about my earliest days on a Gator message board, and brought up the "Carlos Alvarez Thread". On the old board, during the incredible 2006-2008 run (i.e "happier times"), was a thread about the "Gator flop" game against Miami, when the actual Gator legend CA dropped in and contributed to the conversation, sharing story after story. Goosebumps now, as I had then.

For those not familiar, someone found the archive of the thread http://web.archive.org/web/20090131...ve/forums/a/tpc/f/3691038186/m/1251052928/p/1 (it had gotten deleted from the HOF when the old board went tits up), but this might be my favorite excerpt from CA of the whole thread.

Another memory was my senior year and my last game on Florida Field. We were playing Kentucky and it was a close game into the 4th quarter when I went deep along the east sidelines heading into the north end zone. It was one of those beautiful Gainesville autumn, late afternoon where the sun is low in a brilliant orange with a backdrop of the bluest of skies. I was very open on the route since the defensive back had over-committed thinking it was going to be a curl route. John and I had looked at each other in the huddle and knew that we would do this one more time--just the way we had started it our sophomore year. There was never any doubt. I still remember the perfect pass by John and it was almost as if I could see every seam of the football as it was spiraling towards me in what seemed like slow motion. I swear time stood still in that moment for me as I was going full speed down the east sidelines. I caught the ball in full stride, raced into the end zone and immediately a thought exploded into my head that I should (and somehow could)throw the football out of the stadium. So I threw the football as far as I could into the north stands on an adrenalin high that still gives me goose pumps. No, the ball never left the stadium (laws of physics apparently don't play Gator football) but that moment was incredibly sweet even though it cost me my only penalty in my Gator career. It is always for me what college football is all about---passion and fun. That "tradition" of trying to throw the football out of the stadium on your last game at Florida Field your senior year was duplicated by Travis McGriff (he was told about it by Lee McGriff--his dad and a great Florida wide-receiver and friend)and Bubba Caldwell in 2007.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

Last edited:

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That "tradition" of trying to throw the football out of the stadium on your last game at Florida Field your senior year was duplicated by Travis McGriff (he was told about it by Lee McGriff--his dad and a great Florida wide-receiver and friend)and Bubba Caldwell in 2007.
IIRC, Hernandez did this too.

Not sure, but he may have killed the tradition.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
IIRC, Hernandez did this too.

Not sure, but he may have killed the tradition.

He did. And I believe Spikes' "punt" after the Pick6 was also a tribute.

...at least, the romantic in me wants to believe that there was knowledge of the history. The realist in me says neither had any idea.

PS...I see what you did there ;)

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I noticed that in the original thread several posters claimed there was no video of the Flop. Actually, video of the play is included in an ESPN story about the incident along with a number of quotes from players on both sides and some video with Doug Dickey post game. It may be that this video showed up after the original thread had been completed.

Here is the link..... http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story/_/page/lukas/100916_gators_hurricanes_florida_flop/sportCat/ncf

For some reason I couldn't see the video in the article. But here's a video for the rest of you:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this was about 801.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I noticed that in the original thread several posters claimed there was no video of the Flop. Actually, video of the play is included in an ESPN story about the incident along with a number of quotes from players on both sides and some video with Doug Dickey post game. It may be that this video showed up after the original thread had been completed.

Here is the link..... http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story/_/page/lukas/100916_gators_hurricanes_florida_flop/sportCat/ncf
Pretty sure that video came out after this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator