Orcas eating a shark

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Click the link for the video. This is total badass.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/15/13977140/watch-whales-eat-shark-alive-video-monterey-bay

Brief GIF of it.

oYX4ON.gif

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
They have no natural enemy, routinely feed on sharks, even great whites, and can swim up to 35 knots - only sport fish such as tuna and sailfish can swim faster. Orca's are killer, man.

When I was younger I wanted to be a marine biologist and study dolphins and orcas. I settled for botany and horticulture, but I am still fascinated by orcas and dolphins. Orcas in particular are interesting because there are different 'types' based on how they live their lives (resident, transient, offshore) and their diet. In the video these are the offshore type.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When I was younger I wanted to be a marine biologist and study dolphins and orcas. I settled for botany and horticulture, but I am still fascinated by orcas and dolphins. Orcas in particular are interesting because there are different 'types' based on how they live their lives (resident, transient, offshore) and their diet. In the video these are the offshore type.
We go up to the San Juan Islands in northern Puget Sound and camp out every Memorial Weekend and typically see one of the local pods while we're there. We hang out on the rocks drinking beer, do some tide-pooling with the kiddos, and scan for Orcas.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
We go up to the San Juan Islands in northern Puget Sound and camp out every Memorial Weekend and typically see one of the local pods while we're there. We hang out on the rocks drinking beer, do some tide-pooling with the kiddos, and scan for Orcas.
That place is on my bucket list. I've wanted to go there for years.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That place is on my bucket list. I've wanted to go there for years.
Beautiful place
san_juan_islands.jpg

We camp on the west side of San Juan Island for Memorial Weekend, then spend Thanksgiving in a large cabin on the SE tip of Lopez Island.
sanjuanislands900.jpg

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Beautiful place
san_juan_islands.jpg

We camp on the west side of San Juan Island for Memorial Weekend, then spend Thanksgiving in a large cabin on the SE tip of Lopez Island.
sanjuanislands900.jpg
That's badass,man.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I saw this some time ago. A whale watching group off of the Farallon Islands witnessed an Orca destroy a huge Great White.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator