OSU Saga: Meyer suspended for 3 games

leogator

May 5, 2018
I think some of the new iphones ios encrypt and delete the file registry when deleted objects. The bits are still there, just no map to put them back together.
You're partially right. If you delete messages on the iPhone then they are deleted from Messages in iCloud. Messages in iCloud are not accessible except to synchronize the messages between devices. But the messages are not deleted from iCloud backups. Also messages on the iPhone itself are deleted but not really deleted until something else is actually written over it so you can use forensic tools to recover them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're partially right. If you delete messages on the iPhone then they are deleted from Messages in iCloud. Messages in iCloud are not accessible except to synchronize the messages between devices. But the messages are not deleted from iCloud backups.
The reports about the suspension clearly said that he had deleted his messaged and that this should be viewed as evidence of some level of guilt.

Moreover, you can easily turn off the iCloud backup and you can easily delete the old backups that are on the iCloud. I'm going to send you one that has a more secure iPhone sets it up this way and uses a different kind of backup, though I doubt Ohio State's employees do this. Their cops might.

This investigation was not done with sophisticated software, or criminal level forensics on outside servers. This is the employment/ compliance office doing a review. Urban handed them his phone and gave then his password no doubt.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
The reports about the suspension clearly said that he had deleted his messaged and that this should be viewed as evidence of some level of guilt.

Moreover, you can easily turn off the iCloud backup and you can easily delete the old backups that are on the iCloud. I'm going to send you one that has a more secure iPhone sets it up this way and uses a different kind of backup, though I doubt Ohio State's employees do this. Their cops might.

Moreover this investigation was not done with ftk, cellebrite or whatever, or criminal level forensics on outside servers. This is the employment/ compliance office doing a review. Urban handed them his phone and gave then his password no doubt.
Most MDMs and I am assuming OSU used an MDM will not allow you to set the retention period or to delete or set the number of backups. Privately owned iPhones can do whatever they want.

Here is the portion of the report with respect to Urban's iPhone:

(ii) Upon seeing this report when it first came out (at about 10:17 a.m.), Brian Voltolini, who was on the practice field with Coach Meyer went to speak with him, commentingthat this was “a bad article.” The two discussed at that timewhether the media could get access to Coach Meyer’s phone, and specifically discussed how to adjust the settings on Meyer’sphone so that text messages older than one year would be deleted.

(iii) Our review of Coach Meyer’s phone revealed nomessages older than one year, indicating that at the time it was obtained by OSU on August 2nd, Coach Meyer’s phone was set to retain text messages only for that period, as Coach Meyer and Brian Voltolini discussed. We cannot determine, however, whether Coach Meyer’s phone was set to retain messages only

for one year in response to the August 1st media report or at some earlier time
. It is nonetheless concerning that his first reaction to a negative media piece exposing his knowledge of the 2015-2016 law enforcement investigation was to worry about the media getting access to information and discussing how to delete messages older than a year.

For a while my wife's retention period was Forever just like mine. But man she ran out of space real fast so we set it to one year.

Does it look suspicious, yes, no doubt. If you want a change log of changes to settings you need to use an MDM.

The investigation was a bit rushed and did not employ an experienced investigator with access to sophisticated forensic tools.

Last edited:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
That does assume icloud backup for text. I know I just backup photos and contacts, nothing else. Reading some ohio stuff, their retention of records are different and no clear guidance on text messages. It looks like they don’t want them kept as the OSU stuff references temporary records and not the permanent record. I also think they did not want to recover anything. If compliance/HR wants a real phone dump, they get The police to do it, if not, they just browse it. Many orgs are still leaving txt message retention up to the employee and discourage texting. They don’t want the headache.

Cops gets less and less from iphones and frequently run different measures on the same device image as one might find texts and another might find photos. My info in this field is dated and not current.

Curious if it was an athletic association phone or main university .

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Cops gets less and less from iphones and frequently run different measures on the same device image as one might find texts and another might find photos. My info in this field is dated and not current. .
The current products dump anything and everything.

It just isnt the base product.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By their own doing. Meyer's apology to Courtney was complete horseschit and Smith's recent Twitter tirade made him look batschit crazy (which he clearly is). All OSU needed to do was ride out the storm until this Saturday and everyone would've forgotten about this whole debacle once football season kicked off. OSU continues to stoke the flames when they need to just STFU. That being said, I think it's great and I hope they continue to their public outbursts.

See – I think the opposite is going to happen- when football kicks off he’s going to be on TV so much and they are going to absolutely vilify him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ has it right. Nothing is like the old days; the "empowered" women now have their #metoo organized dive-bombing ready for any prominent target. The media will be shamed fiercely if they don't vilify Meyer and they all will compete to be the best condemner. I'm not sure Meyer's constitution will endure. He may quit twice.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WTF? Just shut up already. I hope opposing fans just let him have it and he melts down again. That would be awesome. He's a POS.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was watching SECN last night & the crawl said an OSU trustee resigned because the 3 game suspension wasn’t nearly enough punishment for what had happened.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Urban Meyer still has his job, but Ohio State documents show what he deserves

By Sally Jenkins
Columnist
August 30 at 3:56 PM
Read the public documents Ohio State collected in its investigation of Urban Meyer, and you will never again be able to view him as anything but boneless. He comes off like Plato’s silly description of a Man as someone who stands on two legs without feathers. In reply to which, Diogenes brought Plato a plucked chicken.

“Here is Plato’s man,” he said dismissively.

Next time you’re in the grocery, see whether you can pass the poultry aisle without thinking of Urban Meyer.

The batch of memos, police reports and emails that Ohio State dropped on its website Tuesday are incomplete, with more to come, but they fully illustrate how weak-handed Meyer was with a louse and delinquent. His longtime coddling of assistant coach Zach Smith, the accused domestic abuser and Twitter rager, is merely in keeping with his previous record at Florida, where 30 players were arrested in six seasons. But what’s amazing about these latest details is how vividly damning they are despite Ohio State’s attempt to muffle them, the institutional coverup covering for the coach’s coverup.

Some of the most striking public documents are Meyer’s employee performance reviews of Smith during the very period he knew his assistant was under police investigation for domestic violence and behaving erratically. Athletic Director Gene Smith at one point advised Meyer to replace him. Instead, Meyer awarded Zach Smith glowing performance reviews, with high marks for “core values,” “compliance” and “loyalty,” and gave him a series of raises, including one salary boost of $70,000.

[How Urban Meyer dodged facing questions about deleting his old text messages]

Page by page, emails and notes show instances of Smith’s seedy transgressions and troubles with drink and drugs, yet Meyer never disowned him. In 2016, according to one email, Meyer directed Smith to rehab for a stimulant addiction without telling anyone else at the university. Smith bolted the treatment plan after just four days.

Meyer’s leniency with the entitled brat grandson of former coaching legend Earle Bruce goes on and on. An internal email shows Smith was so in debt with his credit cards that on occasion he couldn’t rent a car or pay for flights on recruiting, so an underling had to cover for him using her university meal card. He had to be dunned for payments and lost three cellphones. On one occasion he left his university-issued iPad on a private jet and never bothered to retrieve it. He was late to practices and workouts, was a no-show in recruiting visits and, of course, spent hundreds of dollars in strip clubs. So much for Meyer’s credentials as the ultimate corporate-style manager and principled leader.

Read for yourself and cringe at Meyer’s email exchanges once the news erupted July 23 that he had sheltered and prospered an addled, reckless assistant who was under a domestic violence protective order. After firing Smith, Meyer started head ducking and shoulder-curling like a garden snail. “Zero conversation about Zach’s past issues,” he directed his staff. A half-hour later, at 7:35 that night, his wife, Shelly, wrote him that alarmed email: “I am worried about Zach’s response. He drinks a lot and I am just not sure how stable he will be. Afraid he will do something dangerous. It’s obvious he has anger/rage issues already.”

By then Meyer was apparently more worried with establishing his deniability. Within a week, he was discussing how to cleanse old text messages from his cellphone.

Some of the most interesting reading is not the most spectacular but nevertheless sheds a light on what can only be called a duality or dissonance between the public presentation of Urban Meyer and the actual operation of his program. An excerpt from his banal coaching manual dictated that even the family members of his staffers must be “POSITIVE” about Ohio State.

It’s worth taking the time to reread the full report by outside investigator Mary Jo White and her team from the law firm Debevoise & Plimpton. The report has been derided as a whitewash that enabled Ohio State to give Meyer a slap-on-the-wrist three-game suspension. But despite its soft conclusion, it’s actually an interesting document that contains very blunt assessments of Meyer’s two-faced conduct, as well as of state university employees’ failure to comply with public document requests and fully cooperate with the investigation.

“We attempted to, but were unable to retrieve text messages for certain witnesses,” the report states, “including AD Smith, Brian Voltolini, Chief of Football Operations, and Zach Smith.”

[Document: Summary of findings of the Ohio State investigation]

Think about that: Investigators could not access relevant records from Ohio State’s athletic director, head coach, chief of football operations or the assistant coach at the center of the scandal. To a man, they are paid by state money. And subject to public records laws.

Ohio State’s own website stresses that under the law, “public records are the people’s records, and the officials in whose custody they happen to be are merely trustees for the people.” It would appear that certain of Ohio State’s athletic staff are pretty lousy stewards.

“At Ohio State, we hold public records in trust for the people we serve,” the website states. “Providing prompt access to the public records we create and receive in the course of our work is a fundamental compliance responsibility.”

So why haven’t Ohio State’s president and board of trustees demanded that compliance — and shouldn’t the faculty be irate?

It’s an easy matter for a good, serious investigator to crack down on that flouting and retrieve those communications. They belong to the state. A state official should say to Meyer and the rest of his human shields, “How about you start giving us straight and timely answers or next month’s payroll won’t clear?”

Some of the best reading of all is in Meyer’s contract, which mandates private jet travel and a golf club membership before it ever gets to his responsibilities as a state employee. Academics come third in the list of his professional duties, after recruiting and on-field performance. Comportment with the law comes dead last. Nevertheless, the contract states that he must “know, recognize and comply with all federal, state, and local laws, as well as all applicable University Rules.”

It also states he can be fired for any instance of “fraud or dishonesty.” Including in the “preparing, falsifying, submitting or altering documents or records of Ohio State.” Which presumably includes cellphone usage — and performance reviews of cronies.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Some of the best reading of all is in Meyer’s contract, which mandates private jet travel and a golf club membership before it ever gets to his responsibilities as a state employee. Academics come third in the list of his professional duties, after recruiting and on-field performance. Comportment with the law comes dead last. Nevertheless, the contract states that he must “know, recognize and comply with all federal, state, and local laws, as well as all applicable University Rules.”

It also states he can be fired for any instance of “fraud or dishonesty.” Including in the “preparing, falsifying, submitting or altering documents or records of Ohio State.” Which presumably includes cellphone usage — and performance reviews of cronies.
Urbs can tweet every Friday until he exits the job and it won't make any difference. I'd venture to say it only loses the confidence of some of tOSU's fans (granted, not many) and gains none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator