Pat Dooley takes a shot at you guys

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We could pose a similar question to him.

Pat what would pizz you off more, finding out that Spurrier has always thought you were a dumba$$ or that Urban admits to using you like toilet paper for six years and beyond?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Still waiting for some intrepid reporter from the Sun ( :bwahaha: ) to do a ground breaking investigative piece on that mysterious and as of yet unsolved "Hawaiian Guy" shooting in Gainesville.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Dooley was around even when I was at UF. I largely ignored him even then.

Was he ever competent? Did he once have sources and actual insight? He obviously, astonishingly, doesnt know much about the game but that I guess seems to have been common for that era when the qualifications seemed to be that you were comfortable getting drunk at any sort of sporting event (Verne Lundquist types). However I do wonder if he got lazy in his old age and if he was once good at his job. Anyone have opinions?
I know 78 wasn't a big fan, but Jack Hairston rotting away in his grave is still a better writer than Dooley.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is amusing:

http://forum.gatorsports.com/topic/37953-the-sun-has-become-unreadable/

Look at this passage from the article on the front page about our offensive line:

“It’s been (getting tougher),” he said of the line. “We’re coming off the ball. We’re taking a step forward and not backward. I’m excited about that. We’ve got, as with all positions, a long way to go, but I like their approach. They’re playing fast. They’re getting up and getting set, and they’re coming off the ball.

I mean, you've got to be kidding me. That's obnoxious.

If they aren't going to take the time to properly edit their work and make sure it's posted in a normal, coherent manner, I'm not even going to bother reading it. Especially when I can usually get much better info and writing from Zach at SEC Country.

I can't believe the decline of Gatorsports that I've witnessed over the past few years. You would think it would be a top Gator site by default just because of their proximity to the program and all the connections built up over the years by their senior staff. Yet, it appears all the critics against whom I defended the site for so long were right, after all: it's just a bunch of fat, lazy slobs running the show who'd rather stuff their face with wings and listen to iTunes while the younger generation like Zach runs circles around them. Pat's not even trying anymore - he's become entirely predictable and cliche. Just look at the Back Nine (if you can even read it with all those technical errors) - it's the same as last year's around this time: the same tired references to the Masters as the "toonamint" and humble-bragging about his stupid, insignificant one round there like 30 years ago with media hacks, waxing poetic about how fortunate Gainesville is to have all the sports occurring at this time (Florida Relays, gymnastics, Spring Game, baseball series, softball, etc.)...the same recycled garbage over and over.

There's no point wasting my time with it anymore. I'm done. Not sure how it will affect my posting habits on here, but I would think I'll be posting a lot less now that I won't be frequenting the site as much to read the latest articles and listen to podcasts.

To all the posters with whom I've gone back and forth, I wish you guys well. I know I don't always see eye to eye with everyone on the direction of the program, but, at the end of the day, we all just want to see Gator Football back in its rightful place atop the mountain. I hope everyone has a healthy, happy spring and summer, and let's hope 2017 is the year offense finally returns to our program.

All the best,

Lawrence

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ox really needs to get a handle on his rogue family members...

oxs uncle

• Freshman Gator
  • 4f2f307f5cd131efee352c90fc039ef5
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

I like to think that I have invented a self- improvement program for Pat Dooley. But Only Dooley can change Dooley. Dooley really does not need to change; he only needs to continue to reorganize and redeploy.

I believe because of our comments he has been producing far better journalism. He may be complaining more, but when he does it is rarely the cynical way, which was sapping his energy to be helpful. He has written many positive articles about the Gators, he has allowed himself to be somewhat a homer, yet remain objective (skeptical is as far negative as a journalist should go). He is still hopelessly conflicted between his love of the Gators and his disapproval of for the hiring of Mac. He is getting better about that. His *****ing and criticism seems to even have some constructive value.

Dooley is actually a talented journalist. That talent has been masked by his cynicism.

Some of his recent pieces have been excellent. E.g. putting the Hurricane Matthew game into perspective. His first column after the Lsu game was great. Ditto for the Wisconsin/ Cheez shot.

Dooley is listening to our suggestions.

Its like coming out of the depths of depression. You don't notice how bad things are when you are at the bottom. At that low point there is a paralysis and lack of awareness. As things pull up all the dust scatters and things get seem to get worse. Everyone is more aware of what is going on. The worst crisis seems to occur right before the reaching top.

Frankly, I'd rather Pat ***** about his own problems than trash the Gators.

Pat has been spot on about alot of things especially about Gator Basketball.

I see the glass half full.

Also, Dooley will probably need to use Shands in the Future. I have had surgery there -, what an avid, rabid Gator place that is. After waking up from surgery full of the euphoria of the anesthesia, My table was being pushed by a group of medical cheerleaders. I immediately yelled "Go gators!" Immediately, and even louder, the same words were rejoined across the entire floor of the hospital.

Dooley, if you do not maintain that morale, you may wake up and find your nuts weren inadvertantly removed during surgery.

Dooley is getting it. JUST GIVE HIM TIME!

Now, Dooley, the next time you talk to Finebaum .... .

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When I was in boot camp the Company Commander would say, "Company! You're fat, lazy.....and you have no integrity!"

I think this applies very well to Pat Dooley!!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
When Dooley was a cub reporter at the Sun, he protégéd under Jack Hairston, who was the Sports Editor when I was in school at UF. Hairston was far and away the worst sports editor I've witnessed in my half-century walking this earth. Hairston was lazy, formulaic and trite, brutally mundane and redundant, and had, for years, developed a sports page that was almost unreadable. He knew he was the only game in town. There was no internet then, and the Gatorbait tabloid was still in its infancy, publishing only sporadically.

, Hairston also got on the wrong side of Charlie Pell and that caused some interesting things to happen. And Hairston also followed my favorite SE, Joe Halberstien. I was a kid but loved his stories of SOS playing and the super sophs. And that Gatorbait paper once a week was fantastic to me. It had multiple writers with different viewpoints.

Dooley did become fat, but it's clear the road his career took him down has made him far from happy. His bitterness toward his readers and former readers is present in nearly every passage he types. The declining readership and 1950s journalistic style have made him a laughing-stock and an easy target for internet message boards like ours. Pat Dooley is nothing more than a punch line at this point; a sad visage in an outdated Hawaiian shirt with a 1980s haircut, trying to prop up a dying sports page in a dying industry in a town and era that have completely passed him by. Dooley certainly is the worst writer in your universe. I suspect many of you critics come from large cities with good sports editors. I only know a few. Tom Mcewen from the Tampa Trib was good. I liked a few of the Jax Times union guys. What do you think about Robbie Andeu?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxs uncle

• Freshman Gator
  • 4f2f307f5cd131efee352c90fc039ef5
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Also, Dooley will probably need to use Shands in the Future. I have had surgery there -, what an avid, rabid Gator place that is. After waking up from surgery full of the euphoria of the anesthesia, My table was being pushed by a group of medical cheerleaders. I immediately yelled "Go gators!" Immediately, and even louder, the same words were rejoined across the entire floor of the hospital.

"Go cure cancer!"..."No, I really mean it. Go cure cancer. And do it quickly. I have acute cutaneous t-cell lymphoma and the doc says I've got three weeks to live."

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Dooley is a perfect example of why I no longer listen to any sports radio as he is the most prime example of "just b/c you cover sports does not mean you know anything about sports or that you should get a radio gig." Sure Dooley can write a factual article stating facts like final scores, statistics, etc. but his opinions are laughable and show he is a joke. All he was ever good at was genuflecting constantly in front of Spurrier, Fooley, Meyer, now Butters, BD, now White and any other head coach or AD at UF. Never once has anyone who was a coach or AD done anything remotely wrong at UF. Dooley is a non knowledgeable shill whose only rival in that dept. over time has been Buddy Martin!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile, the understaffed and inexperienced writers at the Alligator were doing all the heavy lifting.
Yeah, I pretty much ONLY read the Alligator. That's probably why I really have no memory of him. I seem to recall however that he did give flak to Fooley being a itchy vagina during during Earnest Graham-gate.

a sad visage in an outdated Hawaiian shirt with a 1980s haircut,
Two questions:

1. Is it a sad visage if one wears Hawaiian shirts on Hawaiian shirt Fridays? (I'm asking for a friend)

2. Does anyone else suspect that Fooley and Butters have the same barber?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dooley is a perfect example of why I no longer listen to any sports radio as he is the most prime example of "just b/c you cover sports does not mean you know anything about sports or that you should get a radio gig."

For reference, see Finebaum, Paul.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
In his column he pondered what would pizzz some of you off more. Champ winning the SEC EAST title or Grier winning the Heisman this year.
So the great Namedropper is at it again, blaming critical fans. Personally, I wish Grier well and I hope the Chump continues to stink it up but more importantly, I wish Fooley a miserable retirment for hiring him in the first place.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
:lmao2:...............I cannot help but laugh at all the Dooley hate. It is as if he brought on all this misery after Urban's two titles. What about Larry Vettel? He was on radio for what seemed eons. Other than he and Dooley's love of baseball I would listen and be somewhat entertained.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Still waiting for some intrepid reporter from the Sun ( :bwahaha: ) to do a ground breaking investigative piece on that mysterious and as of yet unsolved "Hawaiian Guy" shooting in Gainesville.

Exactly. They get scooped on everything and Dooley is the most pathetic reporter I've ever witnessed. I barely go to GS anymore, maybe to look at pictures I guess. But the story you reference here is a prime example. Especially with what has just happened to AH. Everyone in their right mind knew who the trigger man was after reading that police report when it became public. Hawaiian guy with all the TATS!! Ok so he was hispanic or whatever. But a prime example on how you can lay out a story for the GS and they EFF it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb