Pat Forde: Dan Mullen to re-unite w/ Dak Prescott as Cowboys coach?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Granted, the Big 12 has never emphasized defense, but what Riley has done at Oklahoma over 1.5 seasons has to be considered unique. He's a rising star.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Mullens offense won't work in NFL. QB wouldn't last 5 games with as much as the position runs.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Remains to be seen if Riley can keep it going when it's his guys and not Stoops, he may want to bail out before then, get a nice pay day running the Jones disaster then be back in the college game in 3-5 years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remains to be seen if Riley can keep it going when it's his guys and not Stoops, he may want to bail out before then, get a nice pay day running the Jones disaster then be back in the college game in 3-5 years.

Word in the Dallas media (follow the Cowboys, it's my vice) is that Jerry loves him some Riley. If Garrett shcits the bed this year, he will go after him hard. He believe he has a super bowl talent on the Cowboys.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe some college coaches just like coaching college. I'm sure Bobby Stoops was mentioned in some pro openings. He never left. SOS worked for a #1 a$$hole owner - he came back to college. Look at Satan - he hated his time with the Phins. Mullen's not leaving for the Cowboys - I bet Lincoln Riley doesn't leave the Sooners. Heck, even Chip Kelly came back to college. In college sports (hoops included), you can become a God and run your program (within NCAA rules, of course) as you wish - see Satan. In the pros, your owner can ditch you anytime he sees fit. Plus you're dealing with prima donna players making much more $$ than you do. If Garrett is fired, Jones will just get another NFL coach to take his place.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Word in the Dallas media (follow the Cowboys, it's my vice) is that Jerry loves him some Riley. If Garrett shcits the bed this year, he will go after him hard. He believe he has a super bowl talent on the Cowboys.
Yeah, well Jerry should step aside cause his eye for talent went out when he fired Jimmy. Dak is no SB QB and he doesn't have a receiver that could carry Irvins water bottle.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, well Jerry should step aside cause his eye for talent went out when he fired Jimmy. Dak is no SB QB and he doesn't have a receiver that could carry Irvins water bottle.

I think they could win one with Dak, if everything around him works great. Similar to Foles , Dilfer, etc... At this point in Dak's career he doesn't look like a guy who raises the play of the guys around him. He is a guy who is media friendly and will say the right things.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I think they could win one with Dak, if everything around him works great. Similar to Foles , Dilfer, etc... At this point in Dak's career he doesn't look like a guy who raises the play of the guys around him. He is a guy who is media friendly and will say the right things.
I like Dak. He's a quality guy and does and says the right things but he's clearly limited. The other thing that is killing the cowboys is the O-lines underperformance which began when they let Callahan go to DC. Dumb

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like Dak. He's a quality guy and does and says the right things but he's clearly limited. The other thing that is killing the cowboys is the O-lines underperformance which began when they let Callahan go to DC. Dumb

I think we are saying the same thing, but I do like the fact that during the bye week they brought back Houck and promoted Columbo to OL coach. They got rid of the guy they got from the Bengals as OL coach, he was a bit of a disaster.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Or his coke bottle, and I don’t mean the soda.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Or his coke bottle, and I don’t mean the soda.
Yeah...well.......they don't mention that when they talk about LT or alot of great players and it's a blemish but he's certainly not alone by any stretch.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Granted, the Big 12 has never emphasized defense, but what Riley has done at Oklahoma over 1.5 seasons has to be considered unique. He's a rising star.

Why should it be considered so unique? He inherited a Bob Stoops built program where he was OC for two years before taking over. This is the softest possible takeoff a new coach can get -- a program built by a top tier coach with your players and your system already in place.

At this point, Riley looks a lot like Chip Kelly did at Oregon, or Mark Helfrich at Oregon, or Larry Coker at Miami. Not that unique, really.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
On the internet, the next coach after a good one HAS to suck.

Also coordinators can never make a good HBC.

And Vandy always plas us tough, even if we blew them out every game except two.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
On the internet, the next coach after a good one HAS to suck.

Also coordinators can never make a good HBC.

And Vandy always plas us tough, even if we blew them out every game except two.

And every mid-major coach that wins his conference is the next UF head coach/Saban slayer.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
With Lincoln Riley's name in NFL's mouth, which other college football coaches could make the jump?

With Lincoln Riley's name in NFL's mouth, which other college football coaches could make the jump?

Dan Mullen (35). If Browns fans think Riley is the guy to move up and reunite with his star college QB, why not Mullen and Dak Prescott in Dallas? The Cowboys fired their offensive line coach Monday, and head coach Jason Garrett might be next. Mullen is in his first year at Florida and seemingly wouldn’t be looking to leave after finally getting to be head coach at an elite program — but if the Cowboys called and offered him the chance to work again with Prescott, why wouldn’t he consider it?

:lmao2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The think about having the guy who wants a QB/FB to run up the middle 25-35 times is that there zero chance any nfl team will ever consider him.

My concern level will always be zero percent.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why should it be considered so unique? He inherited a Bob Stoops built program where he was OC for two years before taking over. This is the softest possible takeoff a new coach can get -- a program built by a top tier coach with your players and your system already in place.

At this point, Riley looks a lot like Chip Kelly did at Oregon, or Mark Helfrich at Oregon, or Larry Coker at Miami. Not that unique, really.
A guy in only his second year as head coach, in a P5 conference, with a 19-3 record. Yeah, I'd call that unique.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
A guy in only his second year as head coach, in a P5 conference, with a 19-3 record. Yeah, I'd call that unique.

In their first two years as head coaches, Chip Kelly was 22-4, David Shaw was 23-4, Mark Helfrich was 24-4, Larry Coker was 24-1 with a national title. Helfrich and Coker were fired for running the programs into the ground. And that's just off the top of my head. Riley is having good success, but it's not unparalleled, and he had the easiest possible transition to head coaching that anyone could want. And coaches with similar hot starts have crashed and burned. So I'm not that impressed with his early success yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator