Pat Forde: Florida's collapse brings out ugly side of college football fandom

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida's collapse brings out ugly side of college football fandom

https://sports.yahoo.com/floridas-collapse-brings-ugly-side-college-football-fandom-020248447.html

FANS: TRY TO LOCATE YOUR HUMANITY"

When the Jim McElwain (31) Era at Florida abruptly ended in a blaze of discord late last month, one of the lingering questions was exactly how ugly things had gotten with fans of the Gators. McElwain surely shortened his tenure with his unexplained comment about “death threats,” but it made The Dash wonder what level of anger there is out there in the feral corners of social media — not just for the coach, but for his players.'

That led to perusing the Instagram account of freshman quarterback Feleipe Franks (32). A one-word summation of some of the commentary to be found there: Disgusting.

To be sure, there are more supportive comments than negative directed at Franks from self-described Florida fans, even in a season that has fallen apart. But there is no shortage of hateful vitriol to be found, either. Among the posts during this football season (edited for taste, not grammar or spelling):

“If i was your coach I would pay them to hurt you.”

“F— you I hope you die b—-.”

“Can you please just leave the program, you’re aids.”

“HOW THE F— DO YOU SMILE 35-0 DOWN?!?! YOU’RE THE BARACK OBAMA OF QBS!! YOU HAVE ZERO PRIDE, AND YOU ARE DISGRACE TO THE ORANGE AND BLUE!”

“I WISH YOU WERE NEVER BORN.”

“Your f—ing garbage.”

“Do us all a favor as gator fans and quit.”

“I pray to god [Matt] Corral comes to Gainesville because you stink like rotten s—.”

“U are the worst damn quarter back in gator history.”

"Maybe Felipe will get deported and Malik can get some more playing time in blow outs and can watch the playoffs on the couch.” (That one was posted on the Instagram account of Malik Zaire (33), who replaced Franks as starter last Saturday against Missouri. He didn’t fare too well, either.)

Do other fan bases hurl similar garbage at players? Certainly. All of them have their lunatic fringe. But that excuses none of it. If you spend your time abusing college athletes (or officials) on social media, you are an unfathomable loser.

It’s easy to tell athletes to just stay off social media, especially during the season. But the reality is this: that’s where people college age hang out; it’s what they do; it’s an ingrained part of their lives. Should they have to abandon that just to avoid hearing from “fans” who hope they die? If so, that’s pretty sad.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fans are fanatics? Say it ain't so!

manonmoon.jpg

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s easy to tell athletes to just stay off social media, especially during the season. But the reality is this: that’s where people college age hang out; it’s what they do; it’s an ingrained part of their lives. Should they have to abandon that just to avoid hearing from “fans” who hope they die? If so, that’s pretty sad.

Or, I don't know, they could make their social media pages private and only accept requests from people they ACTUALLY know...you know, their friends! Instead, they love the attention and the "likes" they receive from people who for some reason like to keep tabs on teenagers/young adults.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
"Kick 'em while they're down."
Yeah, that's pretty much Forde's MO. He's pretty famous for it.

I do agree with him in that it's pretty freakin' low to personally go after a player who's trying to do well and hasn't done anything other than not be great at playing a position. That's usually reserved for people who don't have much of a life.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
His article's headline was to expose Florida's rabid fan base, and gave examples on insane human's ridiculing a player on social media, only to concede just after he reached the column's word count minimum that "all of them" have that "fringe."

He's trolling.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, I'm starting to think something is wrong with ME now!

I didn't know that anonymous online ramblings from idiots are being taken serious?

Must have missed the memo.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jaxgator usually posts that NSFW fan meltdown after each weekend. It's a gold mine of social media comments of team's fans that had an epic loss. Every fan base is the same. Some are just funnier than others.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
All sides definitely have their fringe. But anyone that would do death threats to one of the athletes on their personal account, just needs to have their ass beat. But I’m old and cranky your mileage may vary

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
His article's headline was to expose Florida's rabid fan base, and gave examples on insane human's ridiculing a player on social media, only to concede just after he reached the column's word count minimum that "all of them" have that "fringe."

He's trolling.

Would this be like 20 Gator "fans"? Yep, good basis to trash the entire fan base on.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
There is absolutely no excuse for fans of any sport at any level to target players with hate mail. I think anyone who does that is to be pitied and possibly needs psychiatric help. But, hello Pat Forde, UF fans did not invent this trend, but apparently some of us are fast learners.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It is in vogue to attack the Gator fan base right now.

Mac ran the program even further into the ground. 19 wins were ALL because of Chump's defense. It was a house of cards.

We was robbed.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

He's trolling.
Well....he IS a troll. So, there's that....

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
To me, it is 100% INAPPROPRIATE to go to a player's social media account and ridicule that player. It is one thing to come to a message board and vent, but to personally tell a player that they should have never been born because of a football game disgusts me. You will never see me say anything bad about a player on this site. Coach? Absolutely. Player? Absolutely not. The players are Gators. The coaches are mercenaries and are paid millions to be here. But I still would not go on a coach's social media and name call. Immature and shows your true lack of perspective in the world. Message boards are fun banter. Going onto someone's SM page and spewing hate takes it a step further. And UF is not the only school that had idiots who do it.....we are the idiots du jour.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I say give Forde some new Gator-Hater ammo: "Pat Forde is a bottom-feeding, low-brow scheisse flinger - an empty-headed wiper of other people's bottoms!!! I fart in his general direction!" I guess I told him!!! With a little help from John Cleese, of course.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Someone explain to me why our coaches don’t tell our kids, “No social media during the season”.

This edict is driven down many major programs.Instead, with ours, the kids are constantly fighting with the fans. I️ think Mac Purposely fueled an “us against them” mentality.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trying to think of the last time I didn't think Pat Forde was a dumazz troll.

Just checked my notes, it was never.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WCTV Channel 6 out of Tallahassee just did a piece in the Sports about this. Showed some of the comments from Forde's article. Talked about the ugly side and it's just a game and to remember it's a human being you are texting vitriole toward. Poorly disguised dig at us and a way to shift some of the focus away from their poor season. Not unexpected from those turds.

Obviously, the comments are pretty sorry and should never be sent. But it is also poor, as has been stated, to use this self-righteously.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Its funny how its only ever directed at Florida fans when we all know damn well there are idiots all over the country doing the same thing. We're always a target for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.