Patrick Surtain to UF rumor

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Marianna-FL_Gator, Dec 7, 2017.

1. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $2,209
    Ratings:
    +10,221 / -71
    Man – you really are the master of not answering a question. Name a program and the quarterbacks that were equivalent over the last 30 years. This should be easy for you. Because you said there were a ton of them. And there are 130+ FBS teams. And by saying a ton that would be a majority. So name a team out of the 70+ that you think have better QB.

I’ll give you Miami. And maybe FSU. And I think those two may be equivalent but not better.

2. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,071
    Ratings:
    +1,185 / -90
    First of all, I'm not just doing it bc you asked. Secondly, I would have to research if we're using the random number of 30 years since that's a good chunk of my life. You're the one that started it so why don't you find a list of All-Americans instead of giving UF credit for guys like cam and grier.

I also think you should get off your high horse of calling someone out bc they liked someone else's post that you disgree with. 87 of you pumpers would all be trying to defend one ridiculous post a day.

3. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $2,209
    Ratings:
    +10,221 / -71
    Cam and Grier SIGNED with UF because of their history with QBs. That’s what this conversation is about. I said that we have a great history with QBs. And we need to get back to that. You said we do not. I told you why we did with Specific examples. I made a statement and you refuted it. I just asked that you use actual data to support your case. You’ve provided none.

If there are tons, how can you not come up with one single example?

It seems like every single one of your posts are so anti-Gator.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,071
      Ratings:
      +1,185 / -90
      You said 'QBU'. That would indicate the best. I said we've been "very good". You making stuff up bc you're butthurt is why I'm not researching how QBs did in the 80s.

If you want an example, id initially say that usc has a great QB track record in my time.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,071
      Ratings:
      +1,185 / -90
      You said 'QBU'. That would indicate the best. I said we've been "very good". You making stuff up bc you're butthurt is why I'm not researching how QBs did in the 80s. Just like you didn't list grier and Cam in your list of great QBs? Now they were listed in the same list as the others, just bc they came here?

If you want an example, id initially say that usc has a great QB track record in my time.

That's your right to decide what sounds anti-Gator to you. Personally, I think a lot of posts sound like half fans. The type that are late to kickoff and just want a reason to yell, but aren't really invested. It's a message board though, so I have no idea.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $2,209
      Ratings:
      +10,221 / -71
      USC has had some very good QBs. Excellent ones. Particularly in the 90s. I’m not sure what stuff I made up. You said there were tons. I made a rather innocuous statement that you wanted to refute and you refuse to provide information. But that’s OK. This conversation had dragged on long enough. I will concede the USC probably has a history of better quarterback than us. Probably.

But there are not tons of programs that have a better QB history than us. And I don’t think any program is markedly so much better than us.

• lagator

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
      $654
      Ratings:
      +1,453 / -31
      You didn't say anything about how often we have a good QB, you said we can get back to being QBU, something we've never been seen as or referred to. There only 2 great Gator QB's on that list, Danny and Tebow. Actually I'll give you Grossman as a third. I don't remember Reaves, maybe he would qualify. The rest average to good. And Cam, a great Gator QB? Wouldn't you have to actually have played at UF to meet the criteria? Grier too, playing what, 5 games, most of which were mediocre qualifies him as a Gator great and adds to us as QBU?

I would say QBU is something we would never be associated with by anyone outside the program.

#87 lagator, Dec 7, 2017
      Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • CaribGator

CaribGator 2020 Champs
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $261
      Ratings:
      +1,106 / -8
    • CGgater

CGgater Gainesville Native

Oxbucks:
      $1,421
      Ratings:
      +3,963 / -24
      This is a big reason you probably shouldn’t have attempted to contribute to the debate.

• lagator

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
        $654
        Ratings:
        +1,453 / -31
        It's not a debate. It's you as a UF homer trying to claim we were once known as QBU similar to how we actually are referred to as DBU. The only difference is no one including other Gator fans ever called us QBU.

Honestly, when you say QBU only one school comes to virtually any college football fans mind, and everyone already knows what school that is. I'll give you a clue, it's in the same geographic location as where I live.

• Homer J

Homer J Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $113
        Ratings:
        +492 / -54
        ltraz said:
        Soooo...do we care if he's actually a good CB coach or are we just doing like the last guy and hiring unqualified people to pick up the recruiting slack for other coaches?

How many years did the guy spend in the NFL as a DB? I think he knows something. And unlike many other DB coaches, kids will listen to him because he's been to the league.

• Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,187
          Ratings:
          +5,437 / -135
          You're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters here. We've had some real duds here when it comes to coaches and their recruiting efforts. We shouldn't tie our staff to someone because of their son or someone they supposedly have a good relationship with.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
            $2,209
            Ratings:
            +10,221 / -71
            • GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
              $2,209
              Ratings:
              +10,221 / -71
              Who cares if other people do or don’t call us QBU? I just did.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
                $2,209
                Ratings:
                +10,221 / -71
                Alright Bert.

• Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,187
                Ratings:
                +5,437 / -135
                :lol:
                Hey in all seriousness this sounds a lot like when we were supposed to get Jamal Adams....wasn't TRob his uncle or something like that? Then he became a stud at LSU....

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
                  $2,209
                  Ratings:
                  +10,221 / -71
                  Joker Phillips was his godfather. Maybe this will be our Malzahn moment.

• lagator

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                    $654
                    Ratings:
                    +1,453 / -31
                    Well, there you have it. Looks like Cam and Grier put us over the top. Congrats all around:dance:

But seriously, I agree completely. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference if someone want to call us QBU, go for it. And we definitely have had some QB's we can all be very proud of.

The only thing that matters now, I think we can all agree on this, is we need the next great Gator QB. Hopefully we get one or 2 in this class, maybe even as an early Christmas present.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,071
                      Ratings:
                      +1,185 / -90
                      I think he knows a whole lot. But what he knows is not what we're discussing.

Hiring a position coach solely bc of NFL success is saying that basically the entire college football profession is stupid. Everyone does what we did with peterson and takes them on as quality assistants. Now he's The OLB coach at usc (would love to try and get a Gator back btw).

I'm not saying he would be a bad hire at all. He might be great, but itd be a tough thing to gauge since you would have never seen him work on college skills with a player not picking something up. He could actually be too good. A guy like Surtain probably has such a natural feel for the position he might have trouble putting it into words. I was wondering about the same with a guy like ahmad black. He picked up route combos so quickly that he probably never spent hours figuring out mental cues. How will he do teaching cues (hardest thing for most college DBs to pick up) that he never had to use? I literally made a comment about something he did in practice once and he said 'I don't know how i new...i just felt it". You just can't know if a guy can teach that to someone else if you haven't seen it.

My comment was to people that seemed to only be concerned with his recruiting; like we became dbu without coaching. I'm not saying he he isn't incredibly knowledgeable or couldn't be a homerun hire. Id love to hear from someone that knows what his coaching roles have been.

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,032
                      Ratings:
                      +6,987 / -223
                      @GatorJ why isn’t Spurrier on your list? Come on man