Patrick Surtain to UF rumor

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Marianna-FL_Gator, Dec 7, 2017.

1. lagator

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $654
    Ratings:
    +1,453 / -31
    It's all good. I'm all for us becoming QBU again, or for the first time. Just get a damn serviceable leader and let's go.

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Dexterous Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,236
      Ratings:
      +1,282 / -5
      Isn't there a hole in this argument? Haven't we been arguing the whole time that playing experience doesn't make you qualified? :deadhorse:

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
        $1,836
        Ratings:
        +2,544 / -21
        Good plan, but I would expect Surtain to be plenty competent in the context of a full staff. Not every ex-player is, of course.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,071
        Ratings:
        +1,185 / -90
        How is the point that if you had played ball you'd know the best teachers aren't always the best players not support the argument. I was just saying that if someone have no 1st-hand experience, they'de already partially talking of your a$$ and they'de be going on precedent and examples they see. Since neither of those support their argument, then exactly what are they going on?

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
          $859
          Ratings:
          +2,094 / -160
          And how would we know if he is a good coach at the college level. If you have elite players and not that much of competition you might get great results without being a great coach at the college level. Sure you have some advantages being an NFL player etc. But you don't "know".

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,030
            Ratings:
            +6,985 / -223
            Well you said Surtain isn’ qualified simply because he played, even as a multiple pro bowler. Then you make a comment that asserts that only people who have experienced a minimal of HS ball could have a valid opinion.

I know you probably said it in frustration, but he did catch you in hypocrisy. Then you doubled down on it.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,071
            Ratings:
            +1,185 / -90
            Bc I'm talking about two completely different things. I said Surtain being a pro-bowler does not guarantee that he'd be a great college coach. Then I said that you'd have to play to have 1st-hand experience that the best players don't always make the best coaches. Anyone that has played any sport at a very competitive level knows there are just great coaches that can break things down even if they weren't super talented themselves.

That would mean I'm saying you would need the EXPERIENCE of getting coached to understand that some are just natural coaches. Just like I'm saying Surtain would need the EXPERIENCE of being a college coach to know he's good at it. I'm also not saying that other people can't have an opinion. But if you haven't experienced it then I would think you'd go with what the overwhelming amount of examples show instead of making an assumption based on faulty logic and acting like you know better than people with experience and examples.

I just showed this thread to a friend that played college ball and his response was "I thought people from UF were smart". It's embarrassing that people are pretending like it's even a debate.

• alcoholica

Oxbucks:
              $1,030
              Ratings:
              +6,985 / -223
              People can still commit hypocrisy by talking about two different things. In fact that's usually how hypocrisy occurs. You are now backpedaling saying that you had to have been coached from you had to play HS football. Anyone who has played any organized sport has been coached. So are you now saying that anyone on here who has been coached can comment or just the HS football players. If memory serves, and I haven't found anything contradicting it yet, Charlie Weis never played football. Is he not qualified to comment on coaches?

And I'm not even arguing about what you meant, but you made assertions that were contradictory and you got called on it. Now you're trying to change what you said and are now tripling down.

And I showed this thread to a friend and he said your friend can EABOD.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,071
              Ratings:
              +1,185 / -90
              Where did I say HS ball? If I did it was a complete mistake since that obviously wouldn't apply. The technique gap btw hs and college and college and the NFL is huge. I did say "high level", which to me does not include the people that played high school ball and never had to get coached on a difficult technique they had trouble grasping. I guess we can play this fun game of pretending like 'everyone has been coached' and there is no difference btw coaching little league and coaching CBs at UF, but then why are we really talking?

Charlie Weiss is qualified, bc he has other things in his EXPERIENCE that obviously lets him comment on coaches with a lot of knowledge. He wasn't qualified initially, which is why he became a...grad assistant. How are you ignoring that word after I keep capitalizing it?! I'm not sure how much more clear I can be: to judge this you need experience or to go by history. There is no other logical way. Since almost everyone here is going by history, they can't just use his pro-bowls since that hasn't been shown to have a direct correlation and has an obvious flaw.

• alcoholica

Oxbucks:
                $1,030
                Ratings:
                +6,985 / -223
                quit taking yourself so seriously, we're just fccking with you. I think the whole thread has come down to dissecting semantics, which is tedious as fcck.

on a somewhat side note, it made me look up coaches that never played. and while i think Weis may be the only one who never played, there are quite a few like Cutcliffe and Leach that never played college ball. Pretty impressive really.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $711
                Ratings:
                +3,501 / -2
                upload_2017-12-8_12-55-54.jpeg
                ...yes

Coaches...

[​IMG]

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,071
                  Ratings:
                  +1,185 / -90
                  lol, l'm currently wearing a Gator beanie that has a facemask. No one has ever accused me before of taking myself too seriously!

Some people are just natural coaches and have a crazy way of looking at football. I bet if you talked to a guy like leach, you'd be amazed at how he understands how little alignment changes completely open up passing lanes and how well he can teach a QB to see it. Weis is probably a good example of what we're discussing. He was successful at the highest level, bc he has a great Xs & Os knowledge, but I wonder if he can't simplify it and that's why he couldn't find success in college.

Surtain might be that perfect combo, bc he has experience (including his son) with as close to college ball as you can get.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,246
                  Ratings:
                  +5,623 / -363
                  No more OJT coaches at UF...PLEASE!

• alcoholica

Oxbucks:
                  $1,030
                  Ratings:
                  +6,985 / -223
                  No one here knows about Surtain. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt because he’s coaching a powerhouse school, so I’d hope that he’s able to teach, but we have no way of knowing. When I say i’d be happy with him, it’s with the assumption that Mullins knows what to look for. Because, I think he’d kill it recruiting and bring us a few good guys in this class.

Your comment about Leach reminds me of a Spurrier play. Forget who we were playing but I think Grossman threw a slant to Gaffney at the goal line and the slot (Kight maybe) flashed WR screen and pulled his man behind the LOS. Grossman threw right where the defender vacated.

• amber1

amber1 Active Member

Oxbucks:
                  $9
                  Ratings:
                  +28 / -75
                  sounds like a family package deal.....recruit the coach/player........not the family

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,071
                  Ratings:
                  +1,185 / -90
                  100% agree. If it's after an interview by mullen/ then I'd be all about it. Knows kids, has accolades, S Fl connections, don't have to worry about losing him to his playing college.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                  $859
                  Ratings:
                  +2,094 / -160
                  Maybe Weis was a success due to working in the organization that he was in and at the level he was coaching. Few if any NFL coaches recruit players or even have input to who the team gets. Not to mention the HBC is responsible for a number of young students as well not an NFL requirement. They also need to able to work with wealthy players not so much in college.

• gatorkev85

gatorkev85 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $700
                    Ratings:
                    +764 / -250
                    Any new news?