Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Sound defensive concept. However it requires some thinking from players. Bama's secondary has struggled some in recent years. My guess is some of Nick's 5-stars may have 1-Star brains.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From the first link:
So, what's the downside? Well, in this example, the back in the flat will actually be more open than he would against a traditional zone because of the way the strong safety is reacting to the vertical routes. Every defense has weaknesses, but by using pattern reading techniques the defense has dictated the offense's choice and left open the receiver who will do the least damage. This is a smart tradeoff particularly in the college game as there are not many offenses and quarterbacks who will consistently take the easy short gain.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n53604 said:
From the first link:

I saw that too Zambo. Sounds like we can eat em up short in the flats until they adjust, then hit em deep when they bite on the short flat. Can you imagine what a CB will feel like towards the end of the game constantly forced to come up and tackle 235lb Jones in the flats?

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n53731 said:
I saw that too Zambo. Sounds like we can eat em up short in the flats until they adjust, then hit em deep when they bite on the short flat. Can you imagine what a CB will feel like towards the end of the game constantly forced to come up and tackle 235lb Jones in the flats?

Or even have to tackle Kelvin in the flats. Didn't see a lot of that type of passing against UK - I think we may see more of it against Bama.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
If you ever watch a Bama practice, Saban gets livid when defenders cover a route within 5 yards of the LOS before the ball is thrown. Doesn't want them jumping the chump. Defense's success very much dependent on flying to ball and tackling in space. Should be able to throw the shallow crosses all day. Just need the O-line to help keep the d-lineman's hands down. Corner routes are also available since Saban primarily likes defending the middle of the field

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Coach9;n53603 said:
Sound defensive concept. However it requires some thinking from players. Bama's secondary has struggled some in recent years. My guess is some of Nick's 5-stars may have 1-Star brains.

I'm really surprised Saban hasn't adjusted to the "spread", especially the way A&M and Auburn run it. He figured out the UF/Tebow spread in one year.

This D is a great concept...and it works. But he has 4 and 5 star talent all over the field. Let's watch Idaho or UConn run this and check the results...

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n53805 said:
I'm really surprised Saban hasn't adjusted to the "spread", especially the way A&M and Auburn run it. He figured out the UF/Tebow spread in one year.

This D is a great concept...and it works. But he has 4 and 5 star talent all over the field. Let's watch Idaho or UConn run this and check the results...

I think figuring out the Tebow spread was twofold.

1. He had a freak LB that could spy Tebow and limit his impact in 2009
2. UF lacked a big time RB. We had some really fast guys that were good at what they did and Moody, who was not as dynamic as we needed. We missed on a ton of highly rated RBs in that time

I suppose 2 doesn't really apply to A&M, but I don't think bama's LBs the last two seasons have been superstars so Manziel could be Manziel

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Fishon said:
BMF;n53805 said:

2. UF lacked a big time RB. We had some really fast guys that were good at what they did and Moody, who was not as dynamic as we needed. We missed on a ton of highly rated RBs in that time

I suppose 2 doesn't really apply to A&M, but I don't think bama's LBs the last two seasons have been superstars so Manziel could be Manziel
Defending A&M starts with the D-Line. Personally I think you're better off with 4 down lineman. You need to compress the pocket and take away the throwing lanes. The DEs can't get up field to far, just maintain outside leverage.
South Carolina playing a 3-4 was a terrible mistake. It provided huge throwing lanes to complete the quick slants. I fear the day Sumlin has a tall QB who can throw over lineman. That would be incredibly tough to defend

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n53604 said:
From the first link: This is a smart tradeoff particularly in the college game as there are not many offenses and quarterbacks who will consistently take the easy short gain.
But it's better than the other tradeoff of a traditional zone where the seams, the hook and the flats are ALL open. I know you know this Zambo but others probably don't.

The key is they play this D to still maintain the ability to defend the run (zone is better for that) but not be as poor in pass coverage as a typical zone team (think Big 10).

Man works best against any passing game. If their defenders are good enough, then aTm or anyone wouldn't be able to pass. Kenny Hill isn't the runner that Johnny Cocaine was. However, Bammer picks secondary players and backers FIRST for their ability to tackle. Coverage skills are a distant second in their priority.

Bammer has been weak vs. the pass for quite some time. aTm, Welfareers, and Ugly a few years ago when they scored 35 or 40 points demonstrates that. However, most SEC teams have devolved their passing games to the point of being unable to attack Bammer's glaring (but relative) weakness.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n53828 said:
I think figuring out the Tebow spread was twofold....I suppose 2 doesn't really apply to A&M, but I don't think bama's LBs the last two seasons have been superstars so Manziel could be Manziel

The Meyer spread is a spread formation but it's almost completely predictable. The QB will have the bulk of the carries and one guy will get the catches. All they ever had to do was defend the two players. aTm truly spreads the ball around.

For example, last year aTm had receivers with 1394, 818, 658, and 626 yards and rbs with 550 and 407.

Meyer in 2008 had Percy with 659/644 and one other receiver with 655 and two rbs with 600 yards.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon said:
BMF;n53805 said:

In 2009, you were only defending against about 8-12 plays because Addazio kept everything in the box against good defenses. Florida Defended Florida as much as Alabama did in the SEC Championship Game.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
That was meyer's spread during the Tebow/Harvin years. His O is very effective he just became too reliable on those two OR did he? 2 NC's. if his personal life hasn't become a train wreck who knows what could've happened. ALL systems are personnel driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.