Pease Trolling Florida

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
"There's talent here..." When I hear someone say that, I wonder what he bases it on. I have seen nothing on the field to justify that statement. Recruiting rankings? They mean nothing. It's a myth that UF is talented. MY favorite is hearing about how "talented" Jeff Driskel is. Has he ever done anything remotely close to deserving that label? How about the receivers? The offensive line? Even the running backs have never looked great, they are average at best. The reason UF loses is not coaching, it's the lack of talented players. Quit drooling over recruiting rankings, they don't mean a thing. Both Brantley and Driskel were/are awful quarterbacks. D.J. Humphries, the can't miss tackle out of high school, is a bad player. there are more examples, but you get the point. It's not coaching that makes a guy inaccurate or another guy not able to catch a ball, or another guy not be able to even get in the way of a pass rusher. It's the players, and Florida doesn't have good ones. What linebacker(s) is going to stuff Georgia's running game, for instance?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n92530 said:
"There's talent here..." When I hear someone say that, I wonder what he bases it on. I have seen nothing on the field to justify that statement. Recruiting rankings? They mean nothing. It's a myth that UF is talented. MY favorite is hearing about how "talented" Jeff Driskel is. Has he ever done anything remotely close to deserving that label? How about the receivers? The offensive line? Even the running backs have never looked great, they are average at best. The reason UF loses is not coaching, it's the lack of talented players. Quit drooling over recruiting rankings, they don't mean a thing. Both Brantley and Driskel were/are awful quarterbacks. D.J. Humphries, the can't miss tackle out of high school, is a bad player. there are more examples, but you get the point. It's not coaching that makes a guy inaccurate or another guy not able to catch a ball, or another guy not be able to even get in the way of a pass rusher. It's the players, and Florida doesn't have good ones. What linebacker(s) is going to stuff Georgia's running game, for instance?

Quit quoting 2011

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n92385 said:
I'd kind of disagree on Sousa, Worton and Thompson. To me, they are fillers that we grabbed with the hope of them becoming stars. I don't put 100% stock in recruiting rankings, but I think offer lists tell you a lot, especially in areas known for talent. Those 3 had very average offer lists, meaning most of the bigger schools either didn't see them as scholarship worthy or at least were in a wait-and-see mode with bigger fish. I'm not knocking them at all, and they could still end up being great for us. But of those mentioned, only Robinson, Fulwood and Bailey were really sought after by most of the power schools.

So there is some merit to the idea that we aren't at championship level in talent. Now, that's entirely on WM's shoulders as he's had the time to land bigger stars and has failed. But I do think there's enough for the right coach to win with. I mentioned Cornelius, Caldwell and Baker last week as the bridge that Meyer used to get Murphy, Harvin and Cooper. Spurrier used what he had to ultimately land the stars of the mid-90s. The right coach could do the same.

Fair enough. But Worton was fantastic in high school and pulling him from FSU was a big deal. Ermon Lane was ranked very high but was less than average in high school and losing him to FSU wasn't that big of a deal IMO. Unlike losing Dalvin Cook. That was a huge blow. Thompson was not highly recruited but he was very good in the summer and was constantly getting downfield. But it doesn't matter if your QB can't get him the ball.

QB is by far the biggest issue on this team and it's been a problem since Tebow's been gone. I think Harris and Grier are the real deal. Muschamp is an awful recruiter and we have holes all over the team. He comes in to start a power running game and recruits virtually zero offensive lineman for two years. That tells you all you need to know.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n92389 said:
I think Sousa and worton could be under the radar guys. Especially sousa, you don't lead the entire state in receiving yards by accident two years in a row.

I agree. You don't lead the state of Florida in receiving two years in a row by accident. Kid is talented.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n92366 said:
A bit overstated, no?

Yes, a bit of hyperbole. BUT if you had a QB that could get them the ball, this lineup would be a great setup for success. Btw, we made fun of the average group of receivers FSU had until Winston made them look like all-stars last year. Particularly K. Benjamin.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Play calling and Driskel are the two biggest issues with our passing game IMO. It's frustrating watching the FSU WRs making the tough catches all the time when you see our WRs drop the easy ones on the rare chance they get a good pass. Jimbo does draw up some nice plays that get WRs wide open and Winston can hit them. You just don't see that from our passing attack and if it were to happen I don't know that Driskel could hit them in stride.

I'm so sick of defensive head coaches as I'm also a Bucs fan. If I never see another in my lifetime it wouldn't be soon enough. You rarely find offensive head coaches that dictate a defense the way a defensive head coach wants to run the ball on offense. I need some fun football back in my life!

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ItsDookie87;n92600 said:
You rarely find offensive head coaches that dictate a defense the way a defensive head coach wants to run the ball on offense. I need some fun football back in my life!

Rich Rod demands the defense run a 3-3-5 defense.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n92585 said:
Fair enough. But Worton was fantastic in high school and pulling him from FSU was a big deal. Ermon Lane was ranked very high but was less than average in high school and losing him to FSU wasn't that big of a deal IMO. Unlike losing Dalvin Cook. That was a huge blow. Thompson was not highly recruited but he was very good in the summer and was constantly getting downfield. But it doesn't matter if your QB can't get him the ball.

QB is by far the biggest issue on this team and it's been a problem since Tebow's been gone. I think Harris and Grier are the real deal. Muschamp is an awful recruiter and we have holes all over the team. He comes in to start a power running game and recruits virtually zero offensive lineman for two years. That tells you all you need to know.

Well no matter what offense you want to run without effective offensive linemen you will have massive issues. Running requires blocking and passing requires protection. Simple.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n92277 said:
Surprised he would even make a comment like that but when you take out the 70 OT yards against KY we have a worse offense this season than at the same point last season.Washington is struggling also but I think the cupboard was kind of bare for their new coach.

Not surprising that the offensive stats would be lower at this point in the season since they didn't play their opening game this year. They would have racked up a lot of yards against Idaho.

I think the WRs are talented, but Pease is correct that the turnover at WR coach has impacted their development. Doesn't help that they had no confidence in their starting QB up to this point either. I think the WRs will be improved Saturday simply because there is a different QB throwing to them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n92716 said:
Not surprising that the offensive stats would be lower at this point in the season since they didn't play their opening game this year. They would have racked up a lot of yards against Idaho.

I think the WRs are talented, but Pease is correct that the turnover at WR coach has impacted their development. Doesn't help that they had no confidence in their starting QB up to this point either. I think the WRs will be improved Saturday simply because there is a different QB throwing to them.

Actually I think it is a fair comparison. We got Miami instead of a joke team for the 2nd game last season and the only reason last years numbers aren't way ahead of this year is because of the EM performance of 650+ yards. In our SEC games so far this season we are averaging less than 300 yards a game in regulation time. I do agree about the numbers probably improving some with the change at QB.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n92718 said:
Actually I think it is a fair comparison. We got Miami instead of a joke team for the 2nd game last season and the only reason last years numbers aren't way ahead of this year is because of the EM performance of 650+ yards. In our SEC games so far this season we are averaging less than 300 yards a game in regulation time. I do agree about the numbers probably improving some with the change at QB.

Wouldn't it be better to compare stats of teams we played both years (LSU, UK, Tenn, Mizz)?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n92722 said:
Wouldn't it be better to compare stats of teams we played both years (LSU, UK, Tenn, Mizz)?

321 this year to 294 last season. That Missouri game was worse then I realized last season.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n92589 said:
Originally posted by Gatorbreath View Post

A bit overstated, no?

Yes, a bit of hyperbole. BUT if you had a QB that could get them the ball, this lineup would be a great setup for success. Btw, we made fun of the average group of receivers FSU had until Winston made them look like all-stars last year. Particularly K. Benjamin.

I hope you're right. On paper, and in high school, our WRs were studs. Without exception, they've all been disappointments since they've gotten here. No doubt the blame goes to poor QB play, schemes, etc... All, however, have had their fair share of drops of what looked to be easily catchable balls. Perhaps we can chalk them up to the shock of seeing throws where they were supposed to go, as opposed to where they usually went (wide, high, short, long................)

Their reclamation begins Saturday now that this is TH's team. For him, the team and us all, let's our WRs step up and make some nice plays against the Humpers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I would love to hear Pease speak openly about UF and his time here. I imagine we'll all hear something close to what we suspect: That moron we have for a head coach told him what he could/couldn't do as an OC here at UF.....dictated who started.....and harped on ball control/time of possession.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n92736 said:
321 this year to 294 last season. That Missouri game was worse then I realized last season.

SEE! You can't lose your excellent, first round draft pick starting QB. Mush learned that lesson well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n92992 said:
I would love to hear Pease speak openly about UF and his time here.
He'll never do it. We're still paying him, right? Another year, too, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.