Percy Harvin Takes His Battle w/ Anxiety Public

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Percy Harvin Takes His Battle With Anxiety Public as He Gets Closer to Internal Peace

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/28/percy-harvin-anxiety-disorder-mental-health-vikings-florida

Percy Harvin is a failure. He’s an entitled, high-strung hothead whose coaches struggled to harness his game-breaking skills as a wide receiver and return man. He complained, fist-fought and prima donna’d his way out of the NFL by age 28.

Percy Harvin is a success. A child prodigy raised by a single mom, he flew past his peers in high school and at Florida, enjoyed a lucrative pro career and won championships at every level. He retired in 2017, citing various medical issues and his desire to be the dad he never had.

Both of these versions of Percy Harvin are cruising Gainesville, Fla., in a silver Bentley on a Tuesday in March. Sporting a woolly beard and thick braids woven close to his scalp, dressed in a royal-blue Gators sweat suit, his seat tilted back at an unsettlingly obtuse angle, the NFL’s 2009 Offensive Rookie of the Year addresses his passenger as “Bossman” as he unfurls his life story.

Right now he’s recounting how he moved out of an Orlando mansion last year and into a modest four-bedroom house in Gainesville, where he burst onto the national scene 11 years ago with BCS-champ Florida. It is also where his son, Jaden, was living with his mother. Jaden is five, one year younger than Percy was when he began playing peewee ball in Virginia Beach, flashing an aptitude for making tacklers miss that would lead to implausible touchdowns, off-field coddling, inter-personal blowups and, as Harvin puts it, “mental stresses that I can’t even put into words, Bossman.”

He says he did not miss playing football last fall, his first without the game since 1994. Did that surprise you?

“Bossman, this whole journey has been surprising. A lot of the stuff I struggled with, it just don’t affect me no more. That’s why I’m comfortable talking about it.” He hangs a right, bringing Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, the site of his rise to fame, into view. “I’m cool with you asking whatever you want. Failing a drug test. The fights. ’Cause it’s gonna help somebody.”

Harvin starts with the painful stuff: the migraines he has endured since he was seven. “Take a hammer and beat it on the side of your head nonstop,” he says of the pain. “If you’re trying to relax, if someone’s trying to talk to you, that hammer is still going off. You’re trying to eat, still going off.” That pounding is linked, he says, to an anxiety disorder that has gripped him since he was a kid, which he didn’t even know he had until he broke in with the Vikings and started making regular visits to the Mayo Clinic. Kept confidential by the NFL’s medical protocols, and by his own protocols of manhood, the ailment caused Harvin to play most of his 79 NFL games on little or no sleep.

“The best way I can describe it is that I felt ‘out of body,’” he says of a typical episode. “My heart would be going, I’d be sweating, I felt like everybody in the room was looking at me. My speech was slurring. I didn’t wanna eat. I was gasping for air. You’re so worked up that it’s hard to spit words out.” Inspired by NBA stars Kevin Love and DeMar DeRozan, who have spoken out recently about their anxiety issues, Harvin wants to join them in saying, It’s O.K. to be not O.K.

Harvin realizes he’s known as much for his emotional blowups—a disciplinary suspension at Landstown High; the rumored choking of an assistant coach at Florida; a televised shouting match with his Vikings coach; altercations with at least two teammates—as he is for his big plays. While he doesn’t want his anxiety disorder to be an excuse for these missteps (and while the psychologists consulted by SI believe that anxiety and emotional outbursts aren’t usually related), Harvin says, “I just know everything would have been a lot easier if I had been patient with myself.” Considering all the sleepless nights and foodless days that filled his career, though, “most of what I did”—a 9.5-yards-per-carry average in college, 9,000-plus all-purpose yards in the NFL—“was off of just ... will.”

His mind seems at peace on this day, which he began by feeding Jaden breakfast, clicking him into the child seat of an Escalade, cuing up Paw Patrol and driving to preschool. In the fall of 2017, Harvin secured split custody of Jaden with Janine Williams, a former Gators volleyball player whom he dated throughout college and the pros. The same week that Harvin moved to Gainesville to accommodate this shift, Florida fired football coach Jim McElwain, at which point, Harvin recalls, “Me and my mom, our hands were itching. And when our hands itch, something’s going to happen.”

Four weeks later the school hired Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen, who as the Gators’ offensive coordinator in 2005 had helped recruit Harvin, then coached him for three years. Mullen chose to move into the same subdivision where Harvin had just bought his house; he invited Harvin to his office, encouraged him to pursue his degree and told him to drop in on the team whenever he wanted. “When I say I’m supposed to be here, it’s not something I say lightly,” Harvin says. “It’s a gut feeling. A following-the-universe-type thing.”

(more at the link...)

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Damn, what a great article! Thanks for sharing. Good on him for opening up and being honest. And it's so great to hear he's been smart with investments and is doing everything positive he can to help raise his son. I'm glad he's back in Gainesville!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Transcendental meditation is the stareway to Heaven.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let's see, that son Jaden Harvin is the offspring of a Gator volleyball star & our CFB Percy. and he lives in Gainesville - hmm, let's keep tabs on him. Take him to the games, Percy. Grow him Gatorward.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Great article.

Here's an interesting section

Back in his car, there’s a smell of air freshener mixed with the faintest whiff of high-grade cannabis. Does weed have a place in football? he’s asked.

“A hundred percent.” He lists the ways it can help athletes battered by the NFL’s physical and mental grind, and says he knows of several coaches and execs who “don’t have a problem with it at all. When the state and federal laws line up, that’s when things will fall into place.”

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Let's see, that son Jaden Harvin is the offspring of a Gator volleyball star & our CFB Percy. and he lives in Gainesville - hmm, let's keep tabs on him. Take him to the games, Percy. Grow him Gatorward.

From the article.....

A soft rain falls outside as the cameras are packed up and Harvin prepares to pick his son up from preschool. Soon Jaden, whose dad doesn’t want him to play football, will be singing his ABCs and counting to 10 in Spanish during the drive home.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is nice to see Percy maturing and trying to do the right things to make his son grow up as a normal human being. Percy has been coddled since he first started playing football and that is a giant part of his issues, plus his love of the weed which has many proven psychological effects including paranoia and anxiety. Hopefully he is finally away from his high school hangers on and goes on to earn his M.B.A. Good luck to him!

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Good article. I think most people knew percy was a head case but it's good to see that he might have some tools to battle his anxiety now. All of the "migraines" that he always had, etc.

I think his mental issues, more than his actual injuries, prevented him from being a perennial NFL all-star and hall-of-famer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
marijuana cures anxiety

and cancer

and heart disease

and stroke

and seizures

and all other conditions.

I read it on High Times so it must be true.

In fact, I'm surprised potheads ever die.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
marijuana cures anxiety

and cancer

and heart disease

and stroke

and seizures

and all other conditions.

I read it on High Times so it must be true.

In fact, I'm surprised potheads ever die.

I’m essentially pickled with it. It causes zero anxiety in me, in fact, that’s one reason why I use it, to relax. I’m also free of ‘all other conditions’, except for the heart disease thing, but I can blame that on bad genes and a crappy diet for the first 40 years of my life.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Great article. It’s easy to sit at home and look down on others without knowing their full situation. Try walking a mile in someone else’s shoes before passing judgment.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're never too old to grow up. Congrats to Percy.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
This is a great article, Fat Drooly and bowl had Percy right down the street, but a professional had to come to town and show them how its done.
I like that he brought up the choking Billy allegations, and his answer was worth the read its self.
When asked his greatest fear he said "that my son will grow up to be a bad person" not the answer you would expect from a professional player who has been told he is the greatest his whole life.

Thank god for Percy's mom, he wouldn't have made it this far without her, and she will probaly have to be very involved his whole life.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I’m essentially pickled with it. It causes zero anxiety in me, in fact, that’s one reason why I use it, to relax. I’m also free of ‘all other conditions’, except for the heart disease thing, but I can blame that on bad genes and a crappy diet for the first 40 years of my life.

So what you're saying essentially is that pot gives you heart disease. :grin:

DSC4258-Fork_Knife_Swoon_Holiday_White_Chocolate_OREO_Cookie_Balls.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator