Percy Harvin: Trevon Grimes can be a monster

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He’s been working all spring and summer with Van Jefferson. Jefferson has been teaching him how to run routes that his father taught him

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like how in the article it said the WR corps has a lot of "catching" up to do. Yuk yuk yuk...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but we seriously need to get Emory Jones up to speed.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Van Jefferson is legit. If he doesn't have a bunch of catches and yards, it's on the coaches. This guy is a proven weapon. No excuses to not have him get 8-10 touches a game.
Grimes isn't a proven player yet. But it's clear that he has all the tools to be an NFL wr. So the same could be said about Grimes with getting enough touches. I hope he gets at least 4 or 5 opportunities a game. It's exciting to hear Percy get excited about a player. He's probably seeing way more practice than the media.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are STACKED at RB and WR. Lets hope our O-line can block so that we can open up these playmakers for us and give whatever QB time to get the ball to the WRs. Go Gators!!

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really need to see mullet open up his playbook, bubble screens aren't going to get those guys monster seasons or make opponents fear them. Need real passing patterns and something o v e r the m i d d l e. Teams stack the box and their DB's play tight on the line on the corners because they know what to defend.

And as mentioned, our Oline has not been good recently, they really need to step up their game! Hold those blocks long enough for the plays to develop and allow the receivers to run longer routes. This is where I expect to see the new S&C pay off the most.

Can't wait for season to start!

Go Gators

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really need to see mullet open up his playbook, bubble screens aren't going to get those guys monster seasons or make opponents fear them. Need real passing patterns and something o v e r the m i d d l e. Teams stack the box and their DB's play tight on the line on the corners because they know what to defend.

And as mentioned, our Oline has not been good recently, they really need to step up their game! Hold those blocks long enough for the plays to develop and allow the receivers to run longer routes. This is where I expect to see the new S&C pay off the most.

Can't wait for season to start!

Go Gators

Go watch the 07-08 offenses again...there was far more than just screens

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
They LOOK the part. And Hevesy has always put together at least an average OL.

I want to think they are going to be drastically improved.

So do I. They are the key to the entire season. Even more important than the QB.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think we should show some genuine optimism. IF...

and it's a huge IF.....

....we just get some average QB play, this UF team could be pretty good. Certainly good enough to beat most of the teams on our easiest schedule in decades.

While this team doesn't have the NC-type talent we've been used to seeing since the mid-90's, it's silly to act like there isn't some potentially great players there. The Gators have just got make some noise so everyone notices we are here again.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but we seriously need to get Emory Jones up to speed.

We seriously need to get that oline up to speed, without that the skill positions will have a difficult time no matter what.

And with the proper coaching and adjustments to our offense we don't need Jones to be a savior, it would be nice if he actually earns the position.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I really like this receivers group. Running back group too.
Agree on both and having strength at BOTH of those positions makes it harder on defenses. Last year opposing defenses could focus primarily on stopping our run game. This year they do so at their own peril.

Douglas insists all we have is hope with these new WRS but this article reinforces my confidence in them.

UF transfers Trevon Grimes, Van Jefferson look to impact underachieving Gators' receiving corps

“They're phenomenal,” UF redshirt freshman Daquon Green said of Grimes and Jefferson. “Van, he's very dominant and he's real quick, smooth in his routes so he can get in and out real fast, in just a second. And with Tre, he's a big body, he real strong, so he gonna be used a lot for the deep threat and going across the middle and stuff like that.”

Grimes said Jefferson has helped him vastly improve his route-running through stretching and attention to detail. Big receivers like Grimes too often lack fluidity and speed out of their breaks.

“He’s taught me a lot,” Grimes said. “I give him the biggest props for helping me transition from being a 6-5 receiver that’s kind of stiff to being a 6-5 receiver that plays fluid and smooth.”

Jefferson said he merely is passing on what he’s learned his father, who now coaches the Miami Dolphins’ wideouts.

“My dad deserves a lot of credit,” Jefferson said. “He taught me everything that I know.

Jefferson left behind one of the nation’s top wide receiver groups, led by All-America candidate A.J. Brown. Grimes’ and Tyrie Cleveland’s ability to stretch the field, Jefferson and Josh Hammond’s route-running and Kadarius Toney’s penchant for creating mismatches in the slot give the Gators the potential to field their best wide receiving corps in some time.

“Ole Miss has three receivers over there who are going to be very good,” Jefferson said. “I think all three of those guys are going to play a long time in the NFL. But I think we got guys here who are going to do the same thing.

“… When you put all the pieces together, I feel like we are going to be unstoppable.”

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
We seriously need to get that oline up to speed, without that the skill positions will have a difficult time no matter what.

And with the proper coaching and adjustments to our offense we don't need Jones to be a savior, it would be nice if he actually earns the position.
Chief
Mullen said Jones is #3 in reps and Trask and Franks are even in reps. Not guaranteed but OLs tend to be better as upperclassmen and this OL is getting older.

If Grimes, Van Jefferson, Toney and Cleveland stay healthy they are a weapon. I think that Trask gives us the best chance to get the ball in their hands with the least interceptions. Mullen said Trask is a willing and physical runner so if Franks starts throwing interceptions again I expect to see him get pulled for Trask. So Jones likely won't have to be our savior and can be brought along gradually.

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Agree with all the comments re: the RBs, WRs, TEs, and O line. The obvious next question is, who's going to distribute the ball to all of this talent and ability from behind our experienced, better-coached line? Who's our most accurate, checkdown-proficient QB, with good touch on his throws? Sounds to me that Trask is probably our man, this year.

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Agree with all the comments re: the RBs, WRs, TEs, and O line. The obvious next question is, who's going to distribute the ball to all of this talent and ability from behind our experienced, better-coached line? Who's our most accurate, checkdown-proficient QB? Sounds to me that Trask is our man, this year.
Personally I want Trask as I think he sees the field better. Franks is a better athlete than Task , is a more vocal leader and has game experience. Franks still has to prove he has the brains. Franks is confident. Jones is the best runner so he will get packages as he learns.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Personally I want Trask as I think he sees the field better. Franks is a better athlete than Task , is a more vocal leader and has game experience. Franks still has to prove he has the brains. Franks is confident. Jones is the best runner so he will get packages as he learns.

Apparently Mullen likes what he is seeing from our QBs or he likely would have taken one of the transfers that were available. I hope it doesn't come back to bite him. We need a consistent QB who can play smart. I really hope he doesn't red shirt EJ. I think we are gonna need him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.