PGA: 2014

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Golf is already in a feefall........ According to statistics over 400,000 people stopped playing golf last year alone and that's the 4 or 5th straight year numbers of players has declined.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
deuce coupe;n23940 said:
Golf is already in a feefall........ According to statistics over 400,000 people stopped playing golf last year alone and that's the 4 or 5th straight year numbers of players has declined.

In a nutshell... "Disposable income." It's what it takes to play the game and contrary to what Big Brother is telling everyone, some simply don't have the resources right now.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n23826 said:
This is such an ignorant supposition. In fact, the exact inverse is the likely inevitable outcome.

Ignorant infers "not knowledgeable". So, since you are knowledgeable, what evidence do you have that the inverse is the likely inevitable outcome? Rounds are decreasing, the number of players are decreasing, the number of courses closing is increasing, and apparently there is no government bailout for the industry. A lot of people simply cannot afford to play anymore. All of these things do have an impact on viewership...which is also decreasing. In the grand scheme of all the things going poorly these days, the golf industry is not going to be a high priority if anyone does try to fix things. So exactly how do you think the inverse is likely inevitable?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n24006 said:
Ignorant infers "not knowledgeable". So, since you are knowledgeable, what evidence do you have that the inverse is the likely inevitable outcome? Rounds are decreasing, the number of players are decreasing, the number of courses closing is increasing, and apparently there is no government bailout for the industry. A lot of people simply cannot afford to play anymore. All of these things do have an impact on viewership...which is also decreasing. In the grand scheme of all the things going poorly these days, the golf industry is not going to be a high priority if anyone does try to fix things. So exactly how do you think the inverse is likely inevitable?

Let's stick to your original comment. When you linked, in essence, the survival of the game to the success of Tiger Woods.... well, do I really need to explain? Please. This game, which Tiger Woods needs to be relevant at all in today's world, never needed HIM. HE needed the game. The game was unquestionably established long before him and will continue to be long after he's just a footnote in the books.

Just as a NY Times article stated back a couple years ago when Tiger started his downward spiral with his "injuries":

.. the PGA Tour and the networks would continue to benefit from a core of wealthy, well-educated “somewhat older” men who faithfully watch the tournaments and buy golf equipment. “A part of the ratings decline is the casual audience that came to watch Tiger and didn’t buy golf equipment anyway,” ..

All sports are experiencing downturns in attendance. This isn't a new thing. As the economy turns so do, as someone else said earlier, disposable incomes. The game has survived despite multiple world wars, depressions, recessions and more. Each time surfacing as a popular and vibrant game. The Jones, Hogans, Nelsons, Nicklauses, Palmers and even Woods will come and go, but the game for the masses is eternal. So for you, or anyone else, to claim that the decline of Tiger Woods spells doom for the game is completely preposterous.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n23292 said:
Without Woods, and without anyone with any real charisma waiting in the wings, the game is going to take a tumble. Unless they introduce full contact golf, there is just about no way to "spice" that sport up. And I'm a fan...it just looks inevitable...

The phenomenon of Elldrick Woods was born of two unlikely merging events. First was the novelty of a black man climbing to the top in a sport that was historically the exclusive domain of the elite country club oriented wealthy WASP subculture. The second factor was the unprecedented merging of a large corporation, NIKE, with the heads of major sports networks to inordinately showcase an individual golfer to the public. Add to the mix the comical brown nose cult like Tiger Woods fans born from this merger we have spent over 15 years under this umbrella of Tiger Woods oriented sports coverage.

The parade came to a halt in the 2008 US Open. For the last six years we've been saddled with great expectations of "Tiger's on the prowl again" bull****. For example all you had to do was check out the many GSMB threads about Tiger Woods coming back and winning the next Major. Time after time you presented your arguments and predictions for Puddy Tat's next Major's victory.. The media conveniently submerged the worst crime Woods committed when he used PED's not to enhance his golf play but to give him an edge in recovering from his multiple injuries and consequently to be in a better position to break Jack Nicklaus's record of 18 Majors.

And now it looks like its all over. Woods is going backwards while the Young Guns are advancing forward. This maddeningly demanding and unpredictable game invented by the Scots in the 1400's is bigger than any one golfer whether his name or game is Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus or Eldrick Tont Woods

Now let's talk about the 2014 PGA....

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Without Tiger, I'll never watch another round of golf.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I understand all the history and I do believe that the game should be bigger than one individual. But the fact is,the explosion in the popularity of the game throughout the 2000's IS directly related to Tiger Woods. I'm not saying the game will die, but it is going to fall back significantly because there is no one now garnering a "cult" following like Woods has enjoyed.

As a kid, my hero was Arnold Palmer. Mid-life, Tom Watson and Curtis Strange. In later years, Tiger Woods. For 45 years I have looked at the scores in the newspaper to find my favorite golfer. Today, I look for Every, Horschel, Villegas, and any other Gator in the field. Today, I don't see anyone in the game who is evoking the excitement and cult-like following that will boost the interest of the general public. As for the efforts to grow the game, the expense of obtaining the equipment to play, and the general lack of places with reasonable fees to play, I think golf is going to slide dramatically.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182;n24741 said:

Attachments

• conv_440.jpg
    conv_440.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 47

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator said:
I understand all the history and I do believe that the game should be bigger than one individual. But the fact is,the explosion in the popularity of the game throughout the 2000's IS directly related to Tiger Woods. I'm not saying the game will die, but it is going to fall back significantly because there is no one now garnering a "cult" following like Woods has enjoyed.

As a kid, my hero was Arnold Palmer. Mid-life, Tom Watson and Curtis Strange. In later years, Tiger Woods. For 45 years I have looked at the scores in the newspaper to find my favorite golfer. Today, I look for Every, Horschel, Villegas, and any other Gator in the field. Today, I don't see anyone in the game who is evoking the excitement and cult-like following that will boost the interest of the general public. As for the efforts to grow the game, the expense of obtaining the equipment to play, and the general lack of places with reasonable fees to play, I think golf is going to slide dramatically.
Believe as you wish, but the cold hard fact is that the game is larger than Tiger, just like every other "superstar" before him. It doesn't need to "grow". A person can influence the history of the game, but not the destiny. That's because the game doesn't need them, but they need the game.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182;n24741 said:

"Without Tiger I'll never watch another round of golf:"

Jesus, Did your mammy raise you to be such a brown nose whiny wimp? Is that spoiled grim faced balding boy that big a part of your sad life? Maybe you should join the Hare Krishnas or PETA.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So what did Tiger take to heal his back so quickly?

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n25231 said:
I never thought it was hurt in the first place.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n25242 said:
I never thought it was hurt in the first place.
So he was losing and used his back as an excuse to drop out?

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n25231 said:

Wood's ex caddie wrote a revealing book about his one time employer. It's seems Edrick loves to manufacture various injuries that he wears like a badge to prove to the world he cam fight his way back from setbacks like a top notch athlete and not just another golf nerd.. It's so over the top that even his agent, Stienburg roles his eyes in frustration. I doubt seriously the Puddy Tat's injury was ever that serious but he was quick to put on a show for the cameras so he can enter the PGA as a noble,injured warrior.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n25250 said:
Wood's ex caddie wrote a revealing book about his one time employer. It's seems Edrick loves to manufacture various injuries that he wears like a badge to prove to the world he cam fight his way back from setbacks like a top notch athlete and not just another golf nerd.. It's so over the top that even his agent, Stienburg roles his eyes in frustration. I doubt seriously the Puddy Tat's injury was ever that serious but he was quick to put on a show for the cameras so he can enter the PGA as a noble,injured warrior.
Sounds about right.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Golf is gonna be fine with or without Tiger. In fact, the young guys on tour that are coming in to their own right now are some of the most talented ever. It is going to be fun watching Rory, Fowler, Spieth, and Patrick Reed go at it. Golf never goes very long without a transcendent talent that casual fans can lock on to.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n25045 said:
Believe as you wish, but the cold hard fact is that the game is larger than Tiger, just like every other "superstar" before him. It doesn't need to "grow". A person can influence the history of the game, but not the destiny. That's because the game doesn't need them, but they need the game.

I did not say that Tiger, or anyone else, has ever been bigger than the game. I did say he was responsible for the rapid growth and interest in the game during the late '90's and early 2000's. Someone else pointed out Nike's entrance into the market, which I agree with. Since 2008 all of the numbers related to the golf industry are down (that is a fact, not opinion)...and they keep going down. Golf will not die...but the industry as a whole (equipment, courses, attendance at tournaments, viewers on TV, rounds played) is in a downward trend. The industry needs a spark...and usually that is a player that captures the attention of not only golfers, but the public at large. Arnie did it and Tiger did it...both were closely linked to the greatest periods of growth in fans and popularity of the game. That's all I'm saying. Long live golf!

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Westwood and Chappell are the early leaders that have completed 18 hoes. Both are 6 under.

Tiger Woods is 5 over.

Come on JayDuf, show them how to do it.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Despite a heroic effort Jason Dufner was forced by a painful neck injury to withdraw from the 2014 PGA. He will be cheated of a chance to defend his title and silence the GCMB Adminigator.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rory McIlroy just eagled the 18th hole to take a 2 shot lead. in the PGA with 9 holes to play. Westwood and Chappell have yet to tee off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator