Phil Steel projects UF nation's most improved

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Didn’t he say something similar last year, something like we would make, or had a good chance to make, the playoff? Or was that a different guy?

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
"While most assume Georgia is going to once again run away with the East this coming season, if the Gators can upset the Dawgs in Jacksonville, there’s a chance it’s Florida making the trip to Atlanta come early December."

I like this part.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Didn’t he say something similar last year, something like we would make, or had a good chance to make, the playoff? Or was that a different guy?

Yes, in the same article but he could not have known the absolute shyte show that Gator football would become.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Yes. I think that was before the 9 credit card suspensions. Not sure if that was before losing defensive leader Harris to injury.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. I think that was before the 9 credit card suspensions. Not sure if that was before losing defensive leader Harris to injury.
We would have won the same number of games even if the CC suspensions did not happen.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So losing 9 players mostly nonstarters to a CC scheme is the reason we won only 4 games in an extremely favorable schedule.... Hard to take someone seriously with that statement. The CC members, do not make the receivers run better routes, the line to protect the quarterback, none were quarterbacks, or the mountain of injuries from schitty S&C.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
We would have won the same number of games even if the CC suspensions did not happen.
Interesting hypothetical.

That means having Callaway and Scarlett and having back ups at OT and LB would not have helped. Having Harris at safety would have helped. We had to play a slow walk on at LB and rookies at safety. Our only break away WR with speed was Cleveland who had hamstring issues.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
So losing 9 players mostly nonstarters to a CC scheme is the reason we won only 4 games in an extremely favorable schedule.... Hard to take someone seriously with that statement. The CC members, do not make the receivers run better routes, the line to protect the quarterback, none were quarterbacks, or the mountain of injuries from schitty S&C.
Steele has one of the top records on projections. Credit card players lost:

Scarlett was in shape and fast and very good at breaking tackles which was needed with our out of shape OL.

Callaway has moral issues but is a proven play maker with speed.

We lost a top OT back up and LB depth was a major issue.

In addition losing senior defensive leader Harris also hurt.

I think Steele is completely reasonable in that statement. We did lose some close games in which those players could have made a difference.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Steele has one of the top records on projections. Credit card players lost:

Scarlett was in shape and fast and very good at breaking tackles which was needed with our out of shape OL.

Callaway has moral issues but is a proven play maker with speed.

We lost a top OT back up and LB depth was a major issue. LosING defensive leader Harris also hurt.

I think Steele is completely reasonable in that statement.

Scarlett might be our 3rd most complete back on the roster. And you assume he was fast and in shape, being we never saw him in game action.

He was a strong straight line runner with the ability to complete miss on pass blocking assignments.

Callaway, had the potential to be a play maker, also would disappear for games. He had the same problem most of the recievers had poor route running. Talent was never an issue, mental/attitude was.

Callaway broke 50 yards receiving in only 12 of the 26 games he played. Had a grand total of 8 tds (1 rushing) in 26 games played at Wide Receiver (He did have a passing TD on a trick play). So how is an inconsistent receiver going to fix what was fundamentally wrong with the offense.

He did have 3 return touchdowns (1 KO, 2 Punt) which is impressive over 26 games (55 punt, 6 KO returns)

Our top back OL was a Freshman... Seriously? I liked the kids size, but if our best backup linemen (OT) is a true freshman then we were already fcked. Also we lost two 3* true Freshman linebacker, with Houston already goin to be sidelined due to recovery from ACL injury in 2015.

That doesn't change the offensive and defensive personnel and schemes we had already seen for two previous years. The play calling would have been just as bad without the talent from the previous years to keep the games close.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've been setting ourselves up nicely for the Most Improved Award for years.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I believe this is the third year in a row he's picked us to do well. Hopefully third time really will be the charm.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ui5g4zNu.jpeg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see how we don't lose at least 4 games and that is if we don't get upset this season. Heck KY and Tenn aren't guaranteed wins this season with Franks at QB. We only beat them because Franks was yanked in the KY game and because Franks got his huge play of the year at the end of the Tenn game.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
"While most assume Georgia is going to once again run away with the East this coming season, if the Gators can upset the Dawgs in Jacksonville, there’s a chance it’s Florida making the trip to Atlanta come early December."

I like this part.

I honestly see us having no chance to win in Atlanta, like the last 2 times we went. Think we need to take the state back first, before we can take the conference back. Don’t think this roster is ready to compete for the conference yet, but beating the Dawgs and Noles would be sweet.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We've been setting ourselves up nicely for the Most Improved Award for years.
No sh*t. Not hard to predict that one of the top 10 programs will show great improvement from being the biggest joke in college football.
:mac:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After thinking about it, it's not a stretch at all to predict this team to be "most improved." We only won 4 games last year. Going 8-4, which isn't anything special, still doubles the wins from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.